• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lineman’s knot

Davis21

What knot y’all fellas recommend for the lineman’s rope made from ultra tech?

Don’t have experience with ultra tech specifically but I am using a figure 8 on a bite for the girth hitch end of my linesman and a distel hitch with caribiner on the adjustable end. Tether is 8mm Sterling Oplux. Distel cord is 6mm Sterling TRC. Both purchased from @DanO at Eastern Woods Outdoors.

Try a double dragon knot for the loop end. I think your ultratech is similar to the Bluewater Assault line I use for my tether.

I just searched saddlehunter site and don’t find one mention of the double dragon. That’s a bit odd given that it’s strong, easy to tie and remember, won’t slip, and easy to undo.

https://www.animatedknots.com/double-dragon-loop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try a double dragon knot for the loop end. I think your ultratech is similar to the Bluewater Assault line I use for my tether.

I just searched saddlehunter site and don’t find one mention of the double dragon. That’s a bit odd given that it’s strong, easy to tie and remember, won’t slip, and easy to undo.

https://www.animatedknots.com/double-dragon-loop

What is the advantage of this knot over a simple figure eight on a bite?

276284252f78005f64a0f1d1972a6b26.jpg

No advantage necessarily, just personal choice. The simple figure 8 is a fine knot, just not the only one

The big advantage of the fig8 is that it's strong, simple, easy to inspect and dress, easy to tie either as a rethread or loop. I guess leaving the tag end pointing along the rope rather than at 90 degrees from it is an advantage as well.

The advantage of the double dragon seems like it's less bulky overall and maybe uses less rope depending on what you're tying it in.

The big advantage of the fig8 is that it's strong, simple, easy to inspect and dress, easy to tie either as a rethread or loop. I guess leaving the tag end pointing along the rope rather than at 90 degrees from it is an advantage as well.

The advantage of the double dragon seems like it's less bulky overall and maybe uses less rope depending on what you're tying it in.

That’s a pretty fair comparison. I would concur on less bulk and less rope, it’s noticeable in the dump pouch.

I would add that the double dragon is also easy to tie and dress. You can dress/tighten it in any order. I find myself having to fidget with the figure 8 at times when I’ve practiced.

Both are great knots.

That’s a pretty fair comparison. I would concur on less bulk and less rope, it’s noticeable in the dump pouch.

I would add that the double dragon is also easy to tie and dress. You can dress/tighten it in any order. I find myself having to fidget with the figure 8 at times when I’ve practiced.

Both are great knots.

The other relevant question is whether you keep your lineman belt tied on (my preference - I don't see any benefit in taking it off vs just stuffing it in a pouch while connected). While in principle you can do a rethread double dragon, it's not common and places like animated knots don't illustrate the process. And a loop that's then girth-hitched seems superfluous.

The double overhand on itself is a cinching knot which tightens down on the carabiner and so reduces the chance of cross loading.

The other relevant question is whether you keep your lineman belt tied on (my preference - I don't see any benefit in taking it off vs just stuffing it in a pouch while connected). While in principle you can do a rethread double dragon, it's not common and places like animated knots don't illustrate the process. And a loop that's then girth-hitched seems superfluous.

Rethreading a double dragon is easier (my opinion obviously) than the figure 8 follow through. It’s difficult for me to tie a figure 8 without actually setting it on a flat surface or table. I can tie a double dragon, rethread or otherwise, in my hands. It’s quite easy to learn and readily available on YouTube. I can demonstrate how I do it if there’s interest.

I used the double dragon in a previous life almost exclusively, nothing to do with hunting or arborist activities. It was favored as it would produce a reliable knot under low light conditions. With a little practice you can do it in the dark.

Not quite sure what you meant by the “superfluous” comment.

Not quite sure what you meant by the “superfluous” comment.
If I'm just gonna take a loop, girth-hitch it somewhere, and leave it, why not cut out the middleman and just tie it there directly?

Back