• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lineman’s rope to safety rope

Coydog

New to saddle hunting but does anyone else use their lineman’s rope as a safety once on the platform ready to hunt?

My linesmans rope and tether are identical. You still need two. You really need to hook into your tether before removing your linesmans rope. Plus you can use your tether as a secondary linesmans while going around limbs.

My linesmans rope and tether are identical. You still need two. You really need to hook into your tether before removing your linesmans rope. Plus you can use your tether as a secondary linesmans while going around limbs.
Ok but once I’m tethered in and ready have you thought about using your lineman’s rope for an extra safety,we had a young man17 fall from a stand while exiting now in a wheelchair for life and I have developed a slight fear of tree stands,I was tickled to death when my son showed me YouTube videos on saddle hunting and it’s is way safer than tree stands but I can’t shake that small nervous feeling so when I’m in and ready to hunt I have been removing my lineman’s rope and using it just like my tether but my rock harness has a loop in the front center that’s where I hook it .

Nothing wrong with doing that. There some here that do that. You already have it out so why not.

So when you go up the tree you use the linemen's rope as you climb , using what ever climbing system your using. Weather that's a climbing stick , a ladder stick , a rope however you get up there you use the linesmen's belt. Set your platform as you go up , linemens belt is still attached !!!! now you get to where your about to step over to your platform , at this point you can attach your tether to the tree and you hook it into your bridge. then step over to your platform ( there are a number of ways to do this im giving you the simplest ) at this point your now in the tree with your tether and linemens belt attached to the tree you can adjust the tether to the height you want at this point. Then you slowly loosen the linemens belt. There is also a way to loop your tether through your bridge as a back up and hook it back to the carabiner on your tether.
as you loosen the linesmens you are now in your hunting position.
Please if your not sure what your doing try this all out at ground level. Once you get use to the gear your hunting safer then you ever have out of a tree stand. You must learn to trust the gear. It takes time

Got it thanks man ,my son and I have been doing a lot of shooting out of it and we love it I do think it is the safest and best way to hunt in the trees good talkin to ya and thanks for the advice .

I hook my lineman's belt up as a secondary tether to my saddle or rock climbing harness(if I am wearing one) once I hook my tether to the tree and am solidly standing on my platform. Then, I loosen the lineman's belt and hood one caribiner to my saddle and the other caribiner to the rope of the lineman's belt, wrapped around the tree. You can sort of see where I attach it in this picture.

Attachments

• secondary tether.jpg
    secondary tether.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 55
I hook my lineman's belt up as a secondary tether to my saddle or rock climbing harness(if I am wearing one) once I hook my tether to the tree and am solidly standing on my platform. Then, I loosen the lineman's belt and hood one caribiner to my saddle and the other caribiner to the rope of the lineman's belt, wrapped around the tree. You can sort of see where I attach it in this picture.
Just about the same only my rock harness has a loop and that’s where I hook up thanks dude.

Nothing wrong with doing that. There some here that do that. You already have it out so why not.
There is one problem when you do that you are removing all safety lines to the tree and that can be very dangerous,I use my linesman as my bridge, once I reached my top step I attach the tether line to my rock harness set up the platform still attach to the linesman climb on to platform at the point I convert the linesman line to the bridge by living the tether line attached at the rock harness and also I attach it to the brige line that way you're attached at two points for extra safety and this way I can eliminate one rope good luck and be safe.

There is one problem when you do that you are removing all safety lines to the tree and that can be very dangerous,I use my linesman as my bridge, once I reached my top step I attach the tether line to my rock harness set up the platform still attach to the linesman climb on to platform at the point I convert the linesman line to the bridge by living the tether line attached at the rock harness and also I attach it to the brige line that way you're attached at two points for extra safety and this way I can eliminate one rope good luck and be safe.
That statement was in reference to using the linesman’s belt as a backup to the tether. So climb using your linesman’s belt. Then at hunting height install your tether and hook in. At that point you can remove the linesman’s belt and store it until you prepare to descend or hook it in as a backup tether.

Good deal that’s what I’ve been doin seems to work really well plus a ease of mind thing we’ve been practicing quite a bit this is the most and best I’ve shot my bow for years it adds to the practice , no boredom here

Back