• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lineman Length...

Ahhec

What is the average length of peoples line mans ropes? I was thinking 6' should be enough but watching some videos lately I am thinking 8'-10' would be better.

What is the average length of peoples line mans ropes? I was thinking 6' should be enough but watching some videos lately I am thinking 8'-10' would be better.
All dependent on your style and area you hunt. I personally don't ever climb a tree I cant easily get my stick ropes around so 6 ft works for me, hell most of the time I'm stuck in a 6 inch tiny tree "dating the fatgirl". If you have the patience to play catch with your rope mods and like big trees you may need it long.

I will add you can always cut some off later, making it longer is a bit harder.

Last edited:
6 ft of lineman's will probably work on trees up to about 18" in diameter. If you plan on hunting anything larger you'll need a longer lineman's. Mine is about 7.5 ft but honestly its probably over kill for most anything I'm willing to climb.

Definitely don't recommend doing 10. I don't know how long your arms are but if you've ever tried to toss a strap around a tree and catch it with the other hand you know that there comes a point where the tree is just too big. A 2' diameter tree is going to have about a 6' circumference, so just think how massive a tree a 10' lineman's would go around...

Good point 131. A 20" tree would take 5'3" for the circumfrence and then you would need additional tether length of I'm guessing 3', so a total of 8.5?

Good point 131. A 20" tree would take 5'3" for the circumfrence and then you would need additional tether length of I'm guessing 3', so a total of 8.5?
The rest of your kit should complement the tether length, if you think about it. If you're thinking you'll be up in a tree that's really 20" at hunting height, what's the diameter at the ground? Can you get a strap for a stick around it? Generally my rule of thumb is that if I can't hug the tree and touch my hands together at the ground it's too big for my gear to climb.

Another good point. My thinking on tree Dia was based on the tree Dia standing on the ground. As you point out the tree would be much smaller at hunting height where I would actually be using the tether. Linemans rope at ground level would't need to be the tree's full dia either. I have fairly long arms and formed in a circle, finger to finger I get about 24" Dia. tops. So if you don't mind I'll use your rule of thumb for tree sizing too.

So do you think 16" would be a good estimate for largest tree size at hunting height? I like to get up to about 18' to avoid detection and also get to the point I get a little breakup from the canopy.

Last edited:
Side note? What 8mm rope is everyone using with a kong? I currently have a 11mm with ropeman 1 and want to reduce some bulk.

My hawk sticks have 6ft straps so a 7ft linesman is works for me.

Back