• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

lineman/ tree tether length?

nature tamer

How long are you guys making your linemans rope and tree tether? I just bought 25ft of yale bandit. I want to make those plus my bridge out of it. I will be using a ropeman 1 on the linemans rope and the tree tether. Just dont want to have to carry way more rope then i will use.

Depending on how you want to use the teather you can decide the length. One wrap or two around trees.
Linesman belt should be more then enough at 6ft. If you want to make it like a flip line use 12 ft but then you need to use a Prusik.

Decide on a bridge length, cut what you need. Then cut the rest in half. Then you can interchange the two as needed. If you use figures you're going to lose about 2' off of both. I think mine are both over 10' but I don't use sticks in public land anymore. So sometimes I need a much longer tether. Or you can do like season(autocorreted essdub) just use everything that's left over as 20' lineman and tether in one.

Re: RE: lineman/ tree tether length?

nature tamer said:
How long are you guys making your linemans rope and tree tether? I just bought 25ft of yale bandit. I want to make those plus my bridge out of it. I will be using a ropeman 1 on the linemans rope and the tree tether. Just dont want to have to carry way more rope then i will use.
It's very possible to use that one long piece of rope as all those things simultaneously. I did some pics in a thread here to describe the method I use a while back. Plus a couple of my videos kinda sorta show how. I'll do a video that shows up close how I use the rope as all those things.
It's easy and you don't have to cut and carry a bunch of small ropes.

Shaun

kenn1320 said:
Yep knots eat rope length.

And they weaken rope. But it's the best you can do unless you are a splice guru like flinginairos. :)

kenn1320 said:
Yep knots eat rope length.
I am clueless about ropes and knots and this question will likely expose my ignorance. But I need to know because I use a rope with a smaller rope with a Prussic knot for saddle hookup. Someone explain the dynamics about how knots reduce strength. Is it only reduced within the knot itself? Is it reduced only if you tie a knot and then untie it? If you tie a knot in one spot does it reduce the strength further down the rope in any way? Please understand you are dealing with a caveman :?

Re: RE: Re: lineman/ tree tether length?

nature tamer said:
Awesome thanks
Here's a video showing how to use the one long rope as an all in one bridge, lineman belt, tree tether.
You said you only had a 25ft rope, so I hooked up a lineman belt that was adjustable on both sides so that you could pull the rope back through once you get tethered in at hunting height. I usually use a fixed position on left side but out works this way. Hope it helps

https://youtu.be/L5caqCQqoQ4

Shaun

huck72412 said:
I am clueless about ropes and knots and this question will likely expose my ignorance. But I need to know because I use a rope with a smaller rope with a Prussic knot for saddle hookup. Someone explain the dynamics about how knots reduce strength. Is it only reduced within the knot itself? Is it reduced only if you tie a knot and then untie it? If you tie a knot in one spot does it reduce the strength further down the rope in any way? Please understand you are dealing with a caveman :?
I know it sounds odd and no you're not a cave man I'm still learning about climbing myself. I'm not too sure about the physics if it but the rope is weakest inside the knot and I think it's due torsion produced by the turns in the knot.
I like this android app called "useful knots" allot. That's my go to if I need to remind myself how to tie some basic knots. It also tells you about the strength of the knots and if it's a jamming or non-jamming knot. Then the other one I like is called "knots guide" it has more on the history and uses of particular knots but it could have better diagrams to teach you how to tie them.

Hope this helps.

DIYSaddler said:
huck72412 said:
I know it sounds odd and no you're not a cave man I'm still learning about climbing myself. I'm not too sure about the physics if it but the rope is weakest inside the knot and I think it's due torsion produced by the turns in the knot.
I like this android app called "useful knots" allot. That's my go to if I need to remind myself how to tie some basic knots. It also tells you about the strength of the knots and if it's a jamming or non-jamming knot. Then the other one I like is called "knots guide" it has more on the history and uses of particular knots but it could have better diagrams to teach you how to tie them.

Hope this helps.
thanks saddler!!! I'll be checking those sites/apps. I wonder sometimes if the smaller rope with the Prussic that I use is ready to give way because I have used it for some time. It looks fine but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to renew it.

huck72412 said:
thanks saddler!!! I'll be checking those sites/apps. I wonder sometimes if the smaller rope with the Prussic that I use is ready to give way because I have used it for some time. It looks fine but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to renew it.

Most arborists replace their ropes yearly or sooner depending on wear or shock loads. If you are using quality climbing rope and accessory chord you should get more than a year out of a rope add long as you're not really punishing your ropes. We don't climb near as much as as professionals so we don't put near add much wear in them. I'm not sure but I thought there was a recent post on how to check your ropes integrity. Maybe someone could post the link if they know the post I'm talking about.

essdub said:
nature tamer said:
Awesome thanks
Here's a video showing how to use the one long rope as an all in one bridge, lineman belt, tree tether.
You said you only had a 25ft rope, so I hooked up a lineman belt that was adjustable on both sides so that you could pull the rope back through once you get tethered in at hunting height. I usually use a fixed position on left side but out works this way. Hope it helps

Shaun

Thanks Shaun

Re: RE: Re: lineman/ tree tether length?

nature tamer said:
essdub said:
nature tamer said:
Awesome thanks

Shaun

Thanks Shaun
No problem. Hope it helped. You get the idea, I'm sure. There are a ton of different ways to do this. I showed one, but you can certainly adjust it to fit needs. I usually do something less than what I showed in video, but I use a rope that I'd long enough to ascend and descend in addition to bEing a part of the bridge and lineman belt.
I sometimes use a much shorter rope (17 ft) which works fine as all the above and fits much more neatly into my gear as I walk through woods. I normally use my spurs or climbing sticks when I use a shorter one.

Shaun

Good video Shaun. I think it may have been cut short. I need to experiment with this more this summer to see if I can cut down on the noise.

Back