• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Linesman Rope

UMICH1

Hey guys thanks for all the help so far. Got my sitdrag ordered and looking at lines now. Going to go with the Bluewater 7/16 assaultline for the tether. Should I use the same for the linesman belt or is that overkill? Didn't know if I should go with something like an 8mm? Or maybe overkill is better lol.

I use the bluewater for both, and make them identical. I dont mount one to the saddle to dedicate it as a LB, and I dont use dump pouches. Form a loop and sling am over my shoulder. That being said, I will probably try something limper like Yale bandit next yr.

What kind of lengths are you guys using for your linesman belts? I got two Ropeman1's this weekend and will be putting together 2 linesman belts.

Also, is it better to get the eyes spliced when you order it, or try splicing yourself and save the $25 per splice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Identical is good. The only difference for me is that I tie a backup loop (Overhand on a bight) at the end of my tether and just a stopper at the end of my linesman's rope.

Ikeman,
It really depends upon the size tree you want to climb. Long tails flapping around sucks! Not having enough rope to lean at the proper angle really sucks.

I like 10' after knots. One of my LB has 9mm Bluewater and the Ropeman works fine though not officially approved.
I don't splice. I like/trust and can see knots and can change them whenever I need to.

I'd have to measure my LB and Tether. I want to say the finished length for each is about 6.5'.

I tied knots in mine for the loops, but splicing would be better for sure. My rappel line has a spliced/sewn eye and I like it a lot.

Sorry, this is a little off topic but I've been using a lonewolf strap for a lineman's belt and I like it. I'm getting ready to get a ropeman for the tree tether and see where a lot of guys also use a ropeman for lineman's. Any benefits to switching from lonewolf to ropeman?

Sent from my LG-K120 using Tapatalk

Sorry, this is a little off topic but I've been using a lonewolf strap for a lineman's belt and I like it. I'm getting ready to get a ropeman for the tree tether and see where a lot of guys also use a ropeman for lineman's. Any benefits to switching from lonewolf to ropeman?

Sent from my LG-K120 using Tapatalk
The biggest benefit is probably that switching to a rope and ropman will be more durable. The lone wolf straps start to fray after repeated use where the rope has the outer sheath to protect it.

Well, I just ordered 22ft of Yale Bandit to make 2 linesman belts to go with my Ropeman1. Let ya know how I like it when it all gets here. I plan on using the spare linesman belt to cross limbs on the way up while staying attached, and then as a tether when I get to height. I decided not to go with splices, because each splice cost more than enough rope for 2 LB's combined!

The biggest benefit is probably that switching to a rope and ropman will be more durable. The lone wolf straps start to fray after repeated use where the rope has the outer sheath to protect it.

Thanks. Like IkemanTx I also like the thought of having two of the same set up to use as extra lineman/tether. Do you think it would be possible to use 10mm rope for the rope/versa button mod on the Helium sticks? I know most use 9mm, but I'm liking the camo snake bite and thought it'd be cool to have the same camo rope throughout the whole set up.

http://www.sherrilltree.com/sherrilltree-snake-bite-per-foot

I was thinking I had used 10mm, but it looks like I used 9mm for my hawk heliums with the Versa Button mod.

EDIT: that's some good looking Rope, almost wish I'd have ordered that instead. Haha.

Last edited:
? I know most use 9mm, but I'm liking the camo snake bite

I think you mentioned Ropeman in an earlier post. Note what line yours is rated for. 9mm may work but may not be recommended anyway based on too small a diameter.

I used 9.5 for a long time but have opted for 10-11mm. I have short walks so the extra tenths of an oz don't matter to me. And this way my family can sue someone when I die from my fall.

I think you mentioned Ropeman in an earlier post. Note what line yours is rated for. 9mm may work but may not be recommended anyway based on too small a diameter.

I used 9.5 for a long time but have opted for 10-11mm. I have short walks so the extra tenths of an oz don't matter to me. And this way my family can sue someone when I die from my fall.

The rope he linked is 10mm, I think he was asking if the 10mm worked on the Versa buttons as well so he could standardize his rope usage to the single type.

That, I do not know the answer to.

Last edited:
The rope he linked is 10mm, I think he was asking if the 10mm worked on the Versa buttons as well so he could standardize his rope usage to the single type.

That, I do not know the answer to.

Ah... I've seen vids that say 6 or 7 are best but G2 and others have done this mod so I will let them weigh in.

Yes, I was referring to using 10mm with the Versa button mod. I will definitely only use 10mm+ with the ropeman.

Man, I think I've been reading about and looking at rope for like 3 days straight. So it looks like there's a different standard of what can be used for the Versa button mod vs linemans/tether. bowhunter15 used 8mm PMI accessory cord which is considerably cheaper and lighter than the 10mm snake bite.

EDIT: Wow, if you can go down to 6 or 7 even better.

I used Muddy rope with my versa button mod. It's approximately 9mm. I definitely think you could use smaller prussic cord.

Thanks. Like IkemanTx I also like the thought of having two of the same set up to use as extra lineman/tether. Do you think it would be possible to use 10mm rope for the rope/versa button mod on the Helium sticks? I know most use 9mm, but I'm liking the camo snake bite and thought it'd be cool to have the same camo rope throughout the whole set up.

http://www.sherrilltree.com/sherrilltree-snake-bite-per-foot
I haven't switched over to the rope mod on my helium's yet, so I'm not sure.

I used Amsteel Blue 5/16s on my versa-mod. it locks in fine (will hold my weight without tying just with the cinch) but I add 2 half hitches for insurance.

Back