• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Link on loop for girth hitch (notch quickie)

Nothing wrong with a link to be clear, just curious if anyone has tried the quickie and whether there is a reason it is worth the price.

I have tried them, they are hard with gloves and can be noisy, other than that they are awesome. The pin can be locked open and is a 2 step to open, so it's safe.

Thanks, what makes the noise? Fiddling with the pin or the loop part hitting something else?

The pin mostly, I didn't try any wraps or tape. I have a few sitting around I'd sell if you are interested.

Don't get me wrong, it's the same noise if you let a snap link slam shut. Metal on metal makes noise.

Thanks for the information. I’m still thinking on whether I want to try one or not.

I use a scaffold hitch. Just make sure you research how to tie it properly and test it at ground level. You can easily tie it wrong and it’ll slip. YouTube and ground testing are your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How would this be if someone instead had a tight sewn eye on the end instead of the scaffold hitch?

How would this be if someone instead had a tight sewn eye on the end instead of the scaffold hitch?

It would work but I use the scaffold hitch to hold tight on the screw link. 1) it holds it off the tree a bit and 2) prevents me from dropping/losing it.

If I were gonna use a sewn eye, instead of just popping the screw link through it, I’d girth hitch it to the screw link. That would produce the same effect.

I use a scaffold hitch. Just make sure you research how to tie it properly and test it at ground level. You can easily tie it wrong and it’ll slip. YouTube and ground testing are your friend.

Is that reduce strength more than a figure 8? Less bulky though.

It’s the same either way, to my understanding. I just hate it being sloppy and loose. So that’s why it gets tied in the way it does. Plus, the stiff knot helps me pull the line down after I rappel.

I've been using one of these for the last two years, really is a quality product, well built,
you can open it half way and it will let a 11mm climbing rope slip on without disconnecting the pin, and possibly dropping it
it is a little heavy and needs a stopper knot to hold it in place, I've also found that if you put the pin side thru your
loop and use the rounded side on the rope that runs to your tether, it holds better than the opposite way.

I've been using one of these for the last two years, really is a quality product, well built,
you can open it half way and it will let a 11mm climbing rope slip on without disconnecting the pin, and possibly dropping it
it is a little heavy and needs a stopper knot to hold it in place, I've also found that if you put the pin side thru your
loop and use the rounded side on the rope that runs to your tether, it holds better than the opposite way.

So you use it on the regular tether also? I was mainly thinking about using one for rappelling and hadn’t thought about the tether.

This feels like s useful reminder for SRT guys especially. Looks like a neat device.
IMPORTANT NOTE: When using the Notch V3 Quickie in a cinched configuration make sure the slic pin is facing away from the tree or object being girthed around.

Back