• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Live from the saddle 2021

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
You know that feeling when you hike waaaay back in & get setup in a thick spot. You know your early, you know you beat them back to bed & then flashlights........ I shined them off yet they still proceeded to setup 90yds from me . Not how you want to start off the new year!
AC7B7C56-0D93-423B-97F0-FEEA87F34267.jpeg

You know that feeling when you hike waaaay back in & get setup in a thick spot. You know your early, you know you beat them back to bed & then flashlights........ I shined them off yet they still proceeded to setup 90yds from me . Not how you want to start off the new year!
View attachment 42300
Looks like they’re saddle hunters too? That sucks. Is there two of them up in that tree on the same level lol?

Looks like they’re saddle hunters too? That sucks. Is there two of them up in that tree on the same level lol?
I just got down & posted when I got to the top of the hill for some signal. I’m gonna scout & come back this evening. I talked to them they were a couple of young guys & had they’re sticks already set, thought they were further away..... all good I wish I would’ve shot a slob in the bedding right below me to prove a point. But maybe that only reinforces bad behavior.....

A few years ago, opening morning NY southern tier gun, some dude came in at primetime with a climber and set up 70 yards from me, flashlights and subtle whistles did nothing lol, 30 mins later I could hear deer coming in the leaves, he did too, instead of turning around to look he proceeded to rotate his entire climber on the tree, bark noises like the world was coming to an end, obviously the deer blew and flagged away, we spent the next 3 hours staring at each other LMAO last time I went down south for me.

I watched a 100” 8 point feed around me for an hour but only came to 56 yards this season, I had a guy walk in and ignore my attempts to flash my light and push him away. Well he either shot at the 8 I was watching in the bedding area or another but he shot shortly after I lost the buck heading somewhat in that direction. Wish I would have went over and asked talked to him just to see if he got him or what happened but I was quite upset bc I’ve been waiting to hunt that specific deer since last year and have patterned him since late Jan up to the season.

I watched a 100” 8 point feed around me for an hour but only came to 56 yards this season, I had a guy walk in and ignore my attempts to flash my light and push him away. Well he either shot at the 8 I was watching in the bedding area or another but he shot shortly after I lost the buck heading somewhat in that direction. Wish I would have went over and asked talked to him just to see if he got him or what happened but I was quite upset bc I’ve been waiting to hunt that specific deer since last year and have patterned him since late Jan up to the season.
The joys of public land, I really enjoy big acreage to stretch my legs & find sign. Sometimes it just seems like you can’t get away from folks.....

The joys of public land, I really enjoy big acreage to stretch my legs & find sign. Sometimes it just seems like you can’t get away from folks.....
Tell me about it about man, doesn’t happens until you find a spot and think it’s THE spot too lol in Louisiana they have old timber roads everywhere in most areas, it’s real fun walking a mile or 2 out of the way just to sneak in and back door a spot so you don’t bump deer to just have some goon roll up on an atv at daybreak but it’s all part of the challenge that makes public fun and rewarding.

Same thing literally just happened to me. Dude walked in and set his hang on 91 yards away. At least it gave me a chance to try out my rangefinder lol. Thankfully he's facing away from me but still... I ain't moving.

6FADB40F-4B16-4DA8-8F23-8B8CCF9B575D.jpeg
Same thing literally just happened to me. Dude walked in and set his hang on 91 yards away. At least it gave me a chance to try out my rangefinder lol. Thankfully he's facing away from me but still... I ain't moving.
Yeah that’s me, I see you........ seriously though
Hunting a nice ditch, fog is thick enough I can barely see the top of the other side 180yds away

View attachment 42342
Yeah that’s me, I see you........ seriously though
Hunting a nice ditch, fog is thick enough I can barely see the top of the other side 180yds away
Lol nice one. Seen 3 doe run by at 125 yards,b second hunter walk by about 75 yards the other way and original neighbor just packed up his climber ( wrong term first post) and left. Seeing plenty of squirrels lol.

3:15 afternoon edit... Still no deer, took a walk midday and wound up in basically the same spot (because the best way to make deer show up us to make noise and spread scent around right??). The whole orange army is out today but haven't heard more than a handful if shots. Climber dude came back but when he saw that I was closer to "his" tree(orange tape), turned around and left. I didn't actually realize I'd set up much closer to his original spot until I saw him again. Oops. He probably thinks I did it on purpose, oh well.

Last edited:
Well, I waited until the end of legal shooting light, if only to practice getting down the tree in the dark. This bow hunting stuff is tough. I did have a learning experience of dropping my pull rope, so had to improvise a sling from my gear holder to wear the how on the way down. It worked alright but I did smack it with a stick like a moron. It's fine thoigh. Looking forward to a few more tries once muzzleloader is done. Today I finally understood the pumpkin patch joke. And I'm sure I was one of the dumber melons out there screwing things up for the other people.

3be550f3577c9f7c8fca8916e049020e.jpg

First day of the last trip of the season. In Ohio. Got here yesterday afternoon .went to a spot i call the hill to pull some cams. Glassed a shooter as we walked up. Pulled out right away. Set up on their path today.
Bumped two doe on the way in. Saw 50 deer and 5 bucks driving around hitting our spots yesterday. Deer are moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: saw a small doe run across field... it was weird? Thirty minutes later here comes a surveyor covered in yellow paint. Walks right by me. We talk for a bit. He apologizes, i say “hey its public land.” At that point i wasnt too upset. Since he walked all over where the deer where coming from. I get down and start to get my cameras.... thats where the story gets sad..... the place is loaded... loaded with deer sign, like i have never seen it. I can see running tracks and yellow marked trees. He pushed the whole place. Its a 20 acre woodlot surrounded by cow fields. Looking for an afternoon spot.

Update: saw a small doe run across field... it was weird? Thirty minutes later here comes a surveyor covered in yellow paint. Walks right by me. We talk for a bit. He apologizes, i say “hey its public land.” At that point i wasnt too upset. Since he walked all over where the deer where coming from. I get down and start to get my cameras.... thats where the story gets sad..... the place is loaded... loaded with deer sign, like i have never seen it. I can see running tracks and yellow marked trees. He pushed the whole place. Its a 20 acre woodlot surrounded by cow fields. Looking for an afternoon spot.

Sucks! But better than not seeing anything & wondering why........... you still got time for plan B

Acting on some recent advice, I decided to give a brand new spot a whirl. Walked in about a mile or so this AM, set up but wasn't sure about my choice, because, again, new spot, limited scouting. Sun comes up and less than 20 feet away there's a tree with screw in steps left in it

Back