• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lockon stand useing a saddle

gumby

Anyone hunting from a lockon with the mantis saddle, tried it with the Lone Wolf Assault (ratchet strap base to tree) using a Rock Harness and like what I can do, 360 deg shooting. I like the Mantis ease of use and the safty factor, just like to know about comfort and movement with the Mantis in a lockon?

I hunted out of a windwalker with a rack harness for many years before I even heard of saddle hunting. Hung in the saddle, sat some-- found it quite comfortable. I bet the mantis would work great--you will probably just find its so much more comfortable than your loc-on seat you might as well have a ROS or platform. I went to a ROS and never went back--- SOOO much better and mroe compact with a saddle setup.

I hunted out of a windwalker with a rack harness for many years before I even heard of saddle hunting. Hung in the saddle, sat some-- found it quite comfortable. I bet the mantis would work great--you will probably just find its so much more comfortable than your loc-on seat you might as well have a ROS or platform. I went to a ROS and never went back--- SOOO much better and mroe compact with a saddle setup.

Being old and old school, may be hard for a complete change but I do like the idea and like I said I like the saddle for ease of use and safty.

Absolutely. I think you'll find a ROS or platform will side load a little better as well as quieter. I did lik ebeing able to fold my seat down and take a traditional sitting position every once in a while in my loc-on though., especially when it was real cold.

I had planned on this being my go-to setup this year but I only ended up using it 3 times out of 20-some sits. Funny how things don’t always go according to plan.

In terms of comfort and functionality in the tree, it is definitely the best of both worlds in a way. It’s nice to be able to stand up straight on a roomy platform as well as lean into the saddle. And it opens up limitless shooting options. Comfort it can’t be beat. That aspect is great.

But once I got in saddle shape I was “comfortable enough” with my small saddle platform (DIY but basically the Predator, which is a mini-treestand, calling a spade a spade).

The reason I didn’t use the larger hang-on was it just doesn’t carry as well. Mostly related to going through brush. But also longer hikes. Just nowhere near as comfortable walking. I was willing to trade the slight comfort downgrade in the tree for the big comfort upgrade hiking. Which is kind of odd because the hike may be 1 or 2 hours out of the day versus 4-12 hours spent hanging.

Also this may just be me as a very disorganized person, but I really hated having multiple setups with different packs and accessories. It becomes a pain switching back and forth. Invariably that is how I forget stuff. Next year I’ll either totally duplicate my accessories or something so I can just grab and go.

Two functional considerations if you do go this route:

1. Use a cambuckle strap to anchor the base of your platform to the tree. Otherwise when you swing around the tree for shots you put a lot of side pressure and kick your platform out. (I see now you already are planning this)
  2. Safety police, if you use a stock Mantis consider tying in a back-up bridge when using it this way. The Mantis bridge is Amsteel, which is made from Dyneema. Dyneema is rated very poorly for dynamic or shock loading. That is to say, the normal treestand style harness if you fall has slack in it – this force is shock loading - versus true saddle style your system should theoretically always be under tension so no shock loading.

I had planned on this being my go-to setup this year but I only ended up using it 3 times out of 20-some sits. Funny how things don’t always go according to plan.

In terms of comfort and functionality in the tree, it is definitely the best of both worlds in a way. It’s nice to be able to stand up straight on a roomy platform as well as lean into the saddle. And it opens up limitless shooting options. Comfort it can’t be beat. That aspect is great.

But once I got in saddle shape I was “comfortable enough” with my small saddle platform (DIY but basically the Predator, which is a mini-treestand, calling a spade a spade).

The reason I didn’t use the larger hang-on was it just doesn’t carry as well. Mostly related to going through brush. But also longer hikes. Just nowhere near as comfortable walking. I was willing to trade the slight comfort downgrade in the tree for the big comfort upgrade hiking. Which is kind of odd because the hike may be 1 or 2 hours out of the day versus 4-12 hours spent hanging.

Also this may just be me as a very disorganized person, but I really hated having multiple setups with different packs and accessories. It becomes a pain switching back and forth. Invariably that is how I forget stuff. Next year I’ll either totally duplicate my accessories or something so I can just grab and go.

Two functional considerations if you do go this route:

1. Use a cambuckle strap to anchor the base of your platform to the tree. Otherwise when you swing around the tree for shots you put a lot of side pressure and kick your platform out. (I see now you already are planning this)
  2. Safety police, if you use a stock Mantis consider tying in a back-up bridge when using it this way. The Mantis bridge is Amsteel, which is made from Dyneema. Dyneema is rated very poorly for dynamic or shock loading. That is to say, the normal treestand style harness if you fall has slack in it – this force is shock loading - versus true saddle style your system should theoretically always be under tension so no shock loading.
I couldnt agree more on the multiple setups and gear...really gets kinda annoying. I"m gong to try to pick one saddle and stick with it for the year this year--other than really really cold days when the web shines...

Anyone hunting from a lockon with the mantis saddle, tried it with the Lone Wolf Assault (ratchet strap base to tree) using a Rock Harness and like what I can do, 360 deg shooting. I like the Mantis ease of use and the safty factor, just like to know about comfort and movement with the Mantis in a lockon?

I really like this idea. I hunt private land with pre-hung loc on stands. My issue is that I’m a lefty and everyone else is a righty. Meaning that majority of stands are hung to accommodate righty’s. By using a saddle I can use the same stand as my platform and solve my lefty issue.

I really like this idea. I hunt private land with pre-hung loc on stands. My issue is that I’m a lefty and everyone else is a righty. Meaning that majority of stands are hung to accommodate righty’s. By using a saddle I can use the same stand as my platform and solve my lefty issue.

Just be sure to lock the platform to the tree and you can hang out with one foot against the platform and tree and the other against the cable and shoot behind the tree.

Back