• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lone wolf climbing sticks

So here goes my first post in saddle hunter. I’m considering using 5 lone wolf climbing sticks as my climbing method this year. They are heavy, loud and packing them in are gonna be a challenge. But they are super easy to use and I feel 100% safe climbing with them, so there’s that. What I need help with is some ideas on how you guys would go about getting all 5 up the tree without going up and down making a bunch of racket. Any tips and advice you could give me on some ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance you guys!

Check DIY Sportsman on you tube. I'm sure some of the others have videos on it too. What I have done is tied loops wrapped paracord loops on 2 of mine. The first one goes on the tree second stick in my hand till I'm ready to put it on. The 2 with loops clop on to my saddle. Its s few seconds at hieght to detach while not looking but a bit of practice and your all set. I have also seen guys hang them by their v brackets into the loops their linemans belt attaches to.

I use 4 LW sticks with a 2 step aider on the bottom stick.
I can generally climb to about 20' without stretching my sticks out too far out of my comfort zone.

Stick 1 - Attaches from the ground as high as I can reach
Stick 2 - In my hand as I climb up on stick #1
Stick 3 & 4 - Attached to my harness on each side with a small carabiner and a 550 cord loop on the sticks top step.

I use a lineman's belt when climbing to not only stay safe but remain hands free when fastening my sticks to the tree.
I use the rope mod on the LW sticks.

I do this with my backpack and hang on stand on my back so I only make 1 trip up the tree.
I use a 25' dog leash in my backpack and attached to my bow on the ground.
The dog leash pulls out as I climb and retracts as I pull the bow up.

Adding the 5th stick would complicate my setup but maybe some of the things I do can help you.

Also probably a few threads on the topic already. Searching that specific may be difficult but worth it.

I use 4 I just put one on from the ground and hang one on each hip by putting the step through loops on my vest or my saddle I just hold the other one in my hand and step up and hang it just works my way up standing on the first and second step with the versabutton about chin high gets me the perfect spacing every time and its really quick and easy even for a Fat Boy like me.

I do it the same way as the guys who already posted. Only other thing is: I think you may find that once you go over 4 sticks, they become even harder to carry in on a pack. I do 4 full length lone wolfs and my pack is maxed out! I couldn't easily get a fifth stick on there. The 4 sticks plus aider on the bottom would be a solid choice like said above. Good luck man!

Check out a lone wolf stick caddy. You can sling it around your back and take one stick out at a time as you go up the tree.

7ae29951cf0f247eb31f5e025c415658.jpg
1b901f221a5f4b71f6f6fbfd81e2499c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I watched this video this morning. Thanks man I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back