• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lone wolf custom inspired stick mod

GBlevins92

Like everyone else I waited to see the new stuff from lone wolf custom that all the hype was built up around....I think the side stack is slick and it’s got me thinking essentially a regular lone wolf stick could have the bracket swing completely side ways if it wasnt for the bolt and nut sticking out of the back from the step (actually the bolt below the step that the folding step rest on) so I’m wondering if you could eliminate it sticking out by pressing in an insert so then you could side stack the original lone wolfs with a few other tweaks...... here are some pics of the inserts I had in mind I stole these pics from the Ernie kit thread that I had gotten some inspiration from.
e5bb4e7b985f987316a86b0046bee236.jpg
ba1ae178302cc65808919c8a4fa6fb19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also wondered about the possibility of doing a 3/4” tubing stick

I have one in my garage right now with no steps to put on it! Been staring at it for two weeks. I'm gonna go weigh it to see what the baseline says before sticks are attached and holes are drilled.

This is 6061 @22" long and 1/16th thick. Only 5.7 ounces. Looks like I might have to design some more steps.

Attachments

• 2019-01-11_22.32.26.jpg
    2019-01-11_22.32.26.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 2019-01-11_22.29.16.jpg
    2019-01-11_22.29.16.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 92
This is 6061 @22" long and 1/16th thick. Only 5.7 ounces. Looks like I might have to design some more steps.

I wondered if 1/16” is stout enough on a 3/4” tube I was thinking of trying 1/8”.

I wondered if 1/16” is stout enough on a 3/4” tube I was thinking of trying 1/8”.

I'm confident in it. Only way to find out is build and test. That tube costs like 4 bucks. I'll try to come up with an accurate way to test it's strength in the form of a stick. The stick I build recently that's 24"x1"x1/16 is working great. I jumped up and down on it hard trying to break it or flex it and couldn't. And it has 1/2" holes drilled on all sides.

Keep rolling w/ that. I’m excited for all this new stuff for saddlers to brainstorm & execute a better idea anyway.......

Keep rolling w/ that. I’m excited for all this new stuff for saddlers to brainstorm & execute a better idea anyway.......

X2

Saddlers always seem to take good ideas and make them even better.

X2

Saddlers always seem to take good ideas and make them even better.
Or manufacturers of hunting equipment take our ideas and commercialize them. Or take our dreams and develop them or produce them.

We want lighter, more compact and quicker to set up. So we get several new sticks, saddles, stands, platforms.... Really saddlehunting is taking off when manufacturers are making stuff for us. The volume is increasing.

More saddlehunter effects. I bet this site that @redsquirrel started is having a greater and great impact in the growing numbers of saddle hunters.

Please guys DO NOT use 1/16” wall with a lone wolf single step. It WILL break the stick. Especially the bottom step.
It WILL permanently bend towards the tree also. Several guys tried my stick at Saddleplooza last year. It bent and stayed bent. Wasn’t trustworthy.

1d79796e6e77e4afd71b21d6f35b18d7.jpg

@ImThere found a place that has it in 1/8” inch.

Thanks for the post. I had checked several sites and only saw it offered in .062. A source for the next set I make. Committed to completing these at this point.

Thanks for the post. I had checked several sites and only saw it offered in .062. A source for the next set I make. Committed to completing these at this point.

I ordered mine today along with the stainless steel inserts to eliminate the nut on the back side.

Back