• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lone wolf hand climber platform bolt modification alternative

Fnnrdv

I ran across [B]Adrena123[/B]'s bolt modification and I really liked the idea of being able to climb with minimal gear and utilizing equipment I already had. One concern I had was modifying the platform. I did not want to drill or remove any material from the platform and possibly create any weak spots. Several years ago my seat top began to fold under my weight as I descended the tree. The seat platforms are not made strong enough to withstand alot of force pulling the outside arms toward the middle. Climbing small trees is what really creates this "folding" force. I was lucky enough to have received great customer service from lone wolf when this happened so they sent me a new seat platform and arms. That left me with a couple of arms to mess around with. I want to accomplish two things with my modification. 1) reinforce the arms of the hand climber similar to the base where there is a cross piece to help with withstand the folding force created on smaller trees. The modification of raising the arms removes the arms from their groove which offers that side support. The cross piece should help make up for that. 2) raise the arms some to help create that band gap when tilting the stand. This has always been an issue with the hand climber even when using it with the base. But as a user I always adjusted the angle of the arms by hand anyway.

Here's my first iteration of my modifications. I am going to the store tonight to get a different piece of angle with 1/8 inch thickness. I used #10-24 1 - 1/2 SS cap screw and two locking nuts. My goal is to make 3 points of contact on the stand to create the greatest load distribution possible. The 3 points are the nuts, then the two edges of the aluminum angle. The holes in the arms are drilled about 4 and 7/8 from the top of the arm. The aluminum angle may seem like an inconvenience but so far it doesnt seem like it will really get in the way. It might even make it easier to control the platform with my feet as i climb to get around limbs, knots, and bulges in the tree.

Let me know what you think or if you have any better ideas.

20200811_075025.jpg20200811_074646.jpg20200811_075203.jpg
20200811_074708.jpg20200810_165132.jpg20200810_165429.jpg20200810_165009.jpg

Attachments

• 20200811_075203.jpg
    20200811_075203.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 84
Not bm
I ran across [B]Adrena123[/B]'s bolt modification and I really liked the idea of being able to climb with minimal gear and utilizing equipment I already had. One concern I had was modifying the platform. I did not want to drill or remove any material from the platform and possibly create any weak spots. Several years ago my seat top began to fold under my weight as I descended the tree. The seat platforms are not made strong enough to withstand alot of force pulling the outside arms toward the middle. Climbing small trees is what really creates this "folding" force. I was lucky enough to have received great customer service from lone wolf when this happened so they sent me a new seat platform and arms. That left me with a couple of arms to mess around with. I want to accomplish two things with my modification. 1) reinforce the arms of the hand climber similar to the base where there is a cross piece to help with withstand the folding force created on smaller trees. The modification of raising the arms removes the arms from their groove which offers that side support. The cross piece should help make up for that. 2) raise the arms some to help create that band gap when tilting the stand. This has always been an issue with the hand climber even when using it with the base. But as a user I always adjusted the angle of the arms by hand anyway.

Here's my first iteration of my modifications. I am going to the store tonight to get a different piece of angle with 1/8 inch thickness. I used #10-24 1 - 1/2 SS cap screw and two locking nuts. My goal is to make 3 points of contact on the stand to create the greatest load distribution possible. The 3 points are the nuts, then the two edges of the aluminum angle. The holes in the arms are drilled about 4 and 7/8 from the top of the arm. The aluminum angle may seem like an inconvenience but so far it doesnt seem like it will really get in the way. It might even make it easier to control the platform with my feet as i climb to get around limbs, knots, and bulges in the tree.

Let me know what you think or if you have any better ideas.

View attachment 31978View attachment 31979View attachment 31984
View attachment 31980View attachment 31981View attachment 31982View attachment 31983

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I think you're onto something here. I performed the bolt mod on 2 different LW seats. I have not had a problem with the integrity of either platforms yet, but it does make me nervous knowing there is a hole there that shouldn't be. Not so much for me, since I have the ability to self rescue, but for my wife or my dad if they ever use it.

Does the vertical bolt get in the way of the belt at all? One thought for improvement I can think of off the top of my head...maybe use a different type of bolt with a flat head. Invert the orientation of the bolt so that the flat head contacts the platform tab. You could add spacer nuts between the bolt head and the arm to get the desired height/angle. The locking nuts (also inverted) would then be oriented on the top side of the arms.

I like that the aluminum bar adds stability to the arms. I have seen mine bend both outward and inward depending on tree size. I think with a little refinement, this may be a viable solution.

I like it! I’ve been messing around with using a couple small blocks of delrin or aluminum attached to the arm accomplishing something similar to the nut (bumpers) you have there. It’s been a back burner project this year. @Adrena123

Very interesting idea. I was looking at my hand climber last night contemplating whether I should drill it or not. I like the idea of having more reinforcement versus having a potential weak spot.

I can't believe nobody has come out with one of these commercially yet. If it was safe, quiet, easily usable, reasonably priced, and 5 pounds or less...I would likely buy 3.

It would be familiar for everyone coming from the world of climbers, plus dual use. You could use it for climbing method/platform on the right trees, or just a platform for trees that are not climber friendly.

Can't someone tell Lone Wolf to change their cast just a hair to increase the angle and we can all be done drilling holes and adding bolts, bars, and other bullspit? :confused:

Can't someone tell Lone Wolf to change their cast just a hair to increase the angle and we can all be done drilling holes and adding bolts, bars, and other bullspit? :confused:
I’m with ya I thought for sure someone would have came out with a saddle hunter climber platform this year. I’d buy a few!

I can't believe nobody has come out with one of these commercially yet. If it was safe, quiet, easily usable, reasonably priced, and 5 pounds or less...I would likely buy 3.

It would be familiar for everyone coming from the world of climbers, plus dual use. You could use it for climbing method/platform on the right trees, or just a platform for trees that are not climber friendly.
I used mine plenty as a platform, especially when a buddy came & filmed. Climbed w/ sticks & set this in another trunk (tethered & stepped over). Btw he’s now a saddle nut & preaching to all his buddies!

Great idea @Fnnrdv ....I once told a guy to run a bolt through the arm vertically. I think it's a great idea. I never did it because I don't have any issues.
Like I said many times and in my new video, you can use almost anything as a spacer to get the job done. I'm just glad many of you guys see the difference in stock vs modified for ease of climbing.
In stock form it climbs so bad, I was going to throw it off the bay bridge.

I like the idea of making the platform stronger, but how does it not interfere with the band?

Great idea @Fnnrdv ....I once told a guy to run a bolt through the arm vertically. I think it's a great idea. I never did it because I don't have any issues.
Like I said many times and in my new video, you can use almost anything as a spacer to get the job done. I'm just glad many of you guys see the difference in stock vs modified for ease of climbing.
In stock form it climbs so bad, I was going to throw it off the bay bridge.
I've not used a modified one so perhaps I don't have a good frame of reference, but I didn't find using it stock to be too difficult.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Here's my latest modification. I rotated the bolt like @DB4x4 suggested and got a longer one. I was looking for a hex head bolt but as far as i could find they start hex head bolts at 1/4 inch and i wanted to stay at #10. I used a 2 inch bolt and about 15 washers to create the space. I changed the aluminum angle to 1/8 x 3/4 x 3/4. Its more rigid and is able to create an additional two points of contact. When i originally started with this I needed to make sure the aluminum angle remained very low. Keeping it low to the platform insures it does not come into contact with the tree and affect the ability to angle the stand when climbing. The added bolt in the arm also does not affect the band within the arm. it is very close to the edge of the arm just like the upper bolt that holds the band locking device. the band slides right by with no issues. You could likely go with a larger diameter bolt because i am pretty sure the upper bolt is 1/4 inch and then has additional plastic surrounding it and the belt still slides past that one. The other thing I like about the aluminum is it seems to add foot control or leverage when angling down your toes while lifting the stand. It also seems to keep my boots in place very well. I made two climbs up a 24+ inch black walnut tree yesterday to trim some limbs high in the tree. I liked the way it climbed. I'm going to stick with this for now and see how it holds up.

20200813_072625.jpg20200813_072707.jpg

I like it. It's a shame you can't drill the hole at more of an angle. That would allow the bolt head to sit flat on the tab. However, then your angle alum bracket and washer will likely not sit flush...

What if you used a bolt with a round head? Something like this?

1597333829178.png

1597333977385.png

That would ensure no matter how many washers you added or removed to change the angle, you would still have a decent amount of surface area contacting the tab. Would that introduce too much torque onto the bolt and cause it to deform the drilled hole in the arm over time though? Hmm...

C'mon Lone Wolf, just change the angle of the tab already to satisfy this niche group of weirdos that are using your climber seat incorrectly... :laughing:

Orrrrrrrrr...

...you could drill a small depression into the top surface of the tab so that the bolt DOES sit flush. Then you could add as many spacer washers as you want. You don't have to change the angle of the entire tab, just the part where the bolt makes contact. Thoughts?

So once you get to hunting height,how do you keep the platform stable when you lean one way or the other?

Orrrrrrrrr...

...you could drill a small depression into the top surface of the tab so that the bolt DOES sit flush. Then you could add as many spacer washers as you want. You don't have to change the angle of the entire tab, just the part where the bolt makes contact. Thoughts?
I think since the SSbolts are harder than. The aluminum after a little bit of use it will create its own indentation. The aluminum angle will wear some too. There will be a little break in period.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back