• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

lone wolf hand climber/platform?

bioguy

Anyone ever try this climbing/platform solution (see link below)? If so, how do you like it? I was thinking about doing something similar. Below is a list of pros and cons...feel free to add to the list.

Pros: Minimal weight, quick way to get up and down the tree, your climbing method doubles as your platform.
Cons: Cost (Lone Wolf Hand climber ~$160), for straight trees only, limited by tree size, platform doesn't go all the way around the tree, similar noise to a climber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-4TXDBmn1U

I've wondered about the same. I watched a video as well (not sure if it was the same one). It seemed like a REALLY slow process.

Haven't tried it and cant view the video, but Ive seen a couple videos of it before. My concern having used climbers is the platform cannot take any side loading. I can see it being good for climbing fairly quickly and being light, but not sure those benefits outweigh the cost. Light weight cost $$$.

The lone wolf hand climber is a great idea on paper and if you can find a straight enough tree that stays close to the same diameter all the way up then you are in business. I have tried this method and many many others over the last 3 years of hunting from a saddle/guidos web. The problem with the lone wolf hand climber is as you ascent the tree, as the tree narrows, the climber starts to severely angle down. At the base of the tree you cant angle it up enough to compensate because the back rubber tree strap of the climber get caught and you can move it up the tree. I have tried every method out there. I own 5 lone wolf sticks and 4 20" muddy sticks. I've used ropes attached to the muddy sticks, you name it! I have tried screw in steps as a platform as well as the plastic ameristeps on a single loop ratchet system. The very best method is to just prep your tree ahead of time with a 20' stick or screw in tree steps. If you can't do this due to hunting public land or you are scared about your equipment getting stolen or you just like to be really mobile in the woods, the best method I have used is one I saw on youtube. Two 20" muddy sticks with 2 five step aiders attached to the bottom of them. You can view the guys video on youtube but you basically set the first stick, then the second stick above it to get you to 15'. Then climb with the second stick by sliding it up the tree. I have found this is the very best method and most versatile. You can climb and diameter tree and get right around limbs although it may take extra time. For the platform I use the top of the muddy stick and 2 or 3 screw in steps.

The videos on YouTube is called guido's web demo 1 and 2. Flinginairos is the star in the video. I use this method and it is the easiest if you like to stay mobile, prepared trees are the best, as read in the post above. I'm thinking that flinginairos has went to the one 20" muddy and an 5 step aider instead of 2 as demonstrated in the videos.

One other thing, if you don't mind the extra weight, carry all 4 muddy sticks with 2 having the aiders, and you will climb b to 24' every time you climb.

I find the aider difficult, maybe just need more time with it. I noticed the glow tacks on your stirrups, great idea. Is that reflective paint/tape on the muddy steps? Also I didn't catch it, but how many steps on the aider are you using when on one stick method? I have a 5 step aider on a LW stick, but see cbigbear does the one stick with 1 aider on a LW.

I tried out my lone wolf hand climber seat again one day last week because I didn't feel like carrying in my sticks and its so light. Well it was basically my annual attempt at this and will be the last time I do it until maybe once next year. I think the idea could work, but I don't think the hand climber seat is great for it. I think jhicks has mod'ed his to have some success with it though. I think such a small platform work work better for climbing with a stiffer belt than the lone wolf belt.

redsquirrel said:
I tried out my lone wolf hand climber seat again one day last week because I didn't feel like carrying in my sticks and its so light. Well it was basically my annual attempt at this and will be the last time I do it until maybe once next year. I think the idea could work, but I don't think the hand climber seat is great for it. I think jhicks has mod'ed his to have some success with it though. I think such a small platform work work better for climbing with a stiffer belt than the lone wolf belt.

Perhaps afix a note to the hand climber :lol:

BassBoysLLP said:
redsquirrel said:

Perhaps afix a note to the hand climber :lol:

For use on October 5th only? :lol:

There are a lot of straight trees where I hunt (pine plantations mostly), so this might be a good climbing option for me. I think I might try the platform of my summit climber first though. Either I'm carrying in 7.5 lbs in sticks and can only go 15-20ft or 7.5lbs in a climbing platform and can get as high as I can with a straight tree. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

bioguy said:
There are a lot of straight trees where I hunt (pine plantations mostly), so this might be a good climbing option for me. I think I might try the platform of my summit climber first though. Either I'm carrying in 7.5 lbs in sticks and can only go 15-20ft or 7.5lbs in a climbing platform and can get as high as I can with a straight tree. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Final verdict...this method sucks! If only there was an upper climbing portion so you could get leverage zip right up the tree like a climber. Anyone have an engineering degree and some "big boy" toys? Seems to me like it wouldn't take much to make a really simple upper.

Can you use the bottom in conjunction with the one stick method?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I want to try 2 hand climber tops, one for the top and one for the bottom. I think it would work.

Thanks,
Boswell

When does one decide to take climber instead? Where is the value add?

2 lone wolf tops would weight around 5lbs (would shave about 7lbs off my total weight). Flat packing, ability to climb as high or low as I need with 5lbs. I think you could use one of them as a shelf, to put thing on at belly button level. Seems like it could have a lot of potential..

Thanks,
Boswell

kenn1320 said:
I find the aider difficult, maybe just need more time with it. I noticed the glow tacks on your stirrups, great idea. Is that reflective paint/tape on the muddy steps? Also I didn't catch it, but how many steps on the aider are you using when on one stick method? I have a 5 step aider on a LW stick, but see cbigbear does the one stick with 1 aider on a LW.
5 step aider is what I use. When using the aider, it seems to be easier to climb if you keep your toes pointed at the tree and against the tree while climbing.

Re: RE: Re: lone wolf hand climber/platform?

kenn1320 said:
I've gone from 1 to 3 to 5 step aiders. I definitely like the 5 step on the muddy dual step the most. 2-3 steps seems perfect for the lone wolf but I don't like the single step.

The five step on the muddy 20" allows me to move farther per move and cuts weight when using multiple sticks. Key to climbing with aider is to get the first foot in deep. Then put your toe into the tree and walk on up. Oftentimes when climbing one stick I'll grab the aider and place it deep on my boot while hanging from the saddle or web. Therefore when you stand up all you need to do is walk up.

fawnzy said:
Can you use the bottom in conjunction with the one stick method?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, I can't imagine that would work. What you need is an upper that will support your entire body weight and give you enough leverage so you can pull the platform up a considerable distance. One guy on YouTube makes the platform method look easy, but I'm betting he's been practicing it for a while and has really good ab muscles. I'm not in bad shape and it took me about 10 minutes to get 15 ft high, and I was drenched in sweat.

Back