• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lone wolf hand climber

Looking to avoid sticks and would love to hear some seasoned vets on the pro and cons of this system.

I am as green as they come on saddles and platforms

Brandon

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have used it and find it very easy to climb with, I have a rope man on my tether and find it easier and faster than a Prusik knot. The only down fall is tree selection, if I had prescouted a area and picked out a tree I would take it.

I have used it and find it very easy to climb with, I have a rope man on my tether and find it easier and faster than a Prusik knot. The only down fall is tree selection, if I had prescouted a area and picked out a tree I would take it.
I was thinking that my be my only issue to deal with. Especially up in the north east. We don't always have picture perfect trees for climbing. But either way I still believe that one could muscle up one and set up. Again I'm green and need to learn and fail too lol

I'm not a pro, but I used one last season for a couple hunts. Mine is unmodified, but I like it a lot. It's very light when compared to a set of sticks and a platform.

Most of the trees I hunt are generally suitable for it. The only issue I have run into is some trees being too large at the base. However, apparently they do have a longer traction belt that I may look into. I also plan to figure out some way to gently strap it down so it better handles side pressure.

I will probably convert my bridge to an adjustable bridge so I can shorten it up when climbing.

The one thing I will say if you go that route is make sure it's attached to you aside from the feet. It is possible to have it slip off.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quick tip. If you place a one-step aider, on the hand climber, you can usually place the climber above the initial bulge in the tree. This will lessen/ eliminate the need to adjust the climber as the tree diameter gets smaller.

I'm not a pro, but I used one last season for a couple hunts. Mine is unmodified, but I like it a lot. It's very light when compared to a set of sticks and a platform.

Most of the trees I hunt are generally suitable for it. The only issue I have run into is some trees being too large at the base. However, apparently they do have a longer traction belt that I may look into. I also plan to figure out some way to gently strap it down so it better handles side pressure.

I will probably convert my bridge to an adjustable bridge so I can shorten it up when climbing.

The one thing I will say if you go that route is make sure it's attached to you aside from the feet. It is possible to have it slip off.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'll be looking for that longer strap now too

Quick tip. If you place a one-step aider, on the hand climber, you can usually place the climber above the initial bulge in the tree. This will lessen/ eliminate the need to adjust the climber as the tree diameter gets smaller.
Great idea.

I was thinking that my be my only issue to deal with. Especially up in the north east. We don't always have picture perfect trees for climbing. But either way I still believe that one could muscle up one and set up. Again I'm green and need to learn and fail too lol

I am from the north east also Rhode Island.

Back