• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lone Wolf Seat Platform Build

J.P.

Trying to direct this questions towards guys who have done a DIY platform build with a Lone Wolf Alpha/Assault seat (or similar) and are using 2 standoffs with a cam buckle.

I have gathered all of my parts, but would like to hear how far up from the bottom you are drilling your hole to attach the platform. I went with a 12” long 1.25” stick, but can cut down if need be.

Thanks for the advice.
Jake

Trying to direct this questions towards guys who have done a DIY platform build with a Lone Wolf Alpha/Assault seat (or similar) and are using 2 standoffs with a cam buckle.

I have gathered all of my parts, but would like to hear how far up from the bottom you are drilling your hole to attach the platform. I went with a 12” long 1.25” stick, but can cut down if need be.

Thanks for the advice.
Jake
I did this for a friend of mine, I want to say I drilled around 4" up from the bottom. Used aluminum for the post and 2 LW tree brackets. Make sure you drill and set the plastic bolt stop on the post for stability. Be warned they do flex a lot and work into a squeak. I've tried everything to make the squeak stop and it will for a little while but will wear into a spot again and begin all over. Will it put you in a killing situation? Yes, if you put yourself there.

I have the plastic bolt stop and may also JB weld a 1.25” square piece of aluminum as well.
Many thanks.

Not sure if this is the way you were wanting to do things. 8" long tube, seat hole at about 3 3/4" from top. I use 5mm 5.5 kn rope to cam to tree. Cam buckle strap would likely be better. Bites like crazy. 1/4" steel plate attached to tube where adjusting screw contacts post. No deformation. Platform has about 20° of angle adjustment. I cut 1" notches in the standoffs so my stick nests together with it nicely.
ca6c472e93e339726e40215665f11da4.jpg
b1e26616adf271448dbca6cc82404cb6.jpg
679b016c9285a37ae714bcd181d0db35.jpg
1085552c01c948a2704e30103e486eeb.jpg

Thanks. Yes. Everything but the hardware, seat (obviously), rope and the cam cleat on the stick are DIY'ed.

JP, I started with a 12" piece of .125" wall thickness 6061 aluminum 1.25" square tube and used XOP standoffs and seat casting to build my platform. I also reinforced the tube where the platform levelling screw contacts the tube by attaching a small rectangle of .125" thick aluminum plate with a couple of small countersunk screws. The platform hole is drilled 3" down from the top. Grade 8 bolts and a Lone Wolf cam strap complete the package.

Back