• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lone Wolf Stick/Platform

LugianBuck

Hey all,

Just found this site a few weeks ago and what a wealth of information. I currently hunt(not exclusively) out of a TL saddle but after reading this site I'll likely make modifications. I've also seen where guys have take a Lone Wolf seat and made a "platform" using some aluminum tubing and that was very interesting. I was wondering, has anybody just taken the top step off of a LW climbing stick and attached the seat directly to the stick. It would seem like one less thing to carry in. I'm getting ready to try this but was wondering if anybody had thoughts on this?

I don't use it this way anymore. The LW stick isn't beefy enough to handle it. The post will bend.

Also, it's hard to get on and off of it in the tree. I wouldn't recommend it.

Ok, great tip. That's exactly what I was thinking about though so I'm glad you responded. What type of platform do you use now then?

I have tried just about every climbing method and platform you can think of. I pretty much have settled on 3.

1. If I'm using sticks, I use the top of the last stick as the base of my platform and place 2 Ameristeps on either side of the tree.
2. If that doesn't work, I'll use 4-5 Ameristeps on a single strap for the complete platform.
3. I'm I'm using my spurs, I'll use the XOP platform.

All 3 have pros and cons. For comfort, the XOP platform can't be beat. No question about it. For simplicity, using the top of your climbing sticks and possibly 1 or 2 steps on either side of the tree is tough to beat.

At the end of the day it's all about familiarity. Practice with your setup until you are 100% comfortable and confident with setup and shooting. After that, I don't think it matters which method you use.

Hope that helps and saves you some money! If you're like most of us, you like to tinker with all the different options. That's half the fun anyway!

Haha. Yeah, it's almost as though it's a way to extend hunting season to use all 365 days. That's interesting about the Ameristeps and strap. I'm assuming you're not talking about the screw in kind. This will be primarily a public land setup and I can't have screw ins. I've gotten away from the saddle the last two years because of some pretty good private land but after following Dan Infalt the last year or so that just seems like the method of hunting that I truly enjoy the most. I'm not sure why he hasn't tried the saddle because it seems like it's perfect for his style of hunting. Anyway, I really appreciate the response, it's a time and money saver for sure.

Something funny happened this morning when I read this thread: G2 just mentioned something about "saving money"!
He's caused more money exchanges over his saddle modifications that most would admit (lol)

Something funny happened this morning when I read this thread: G2 just mentioned something about "saving money"!
He's caused more money exchanges over his saddle modifications that most would admit (lol)

So that's the new thing around here, huh?

"I blew my rent money on the new Kestrel" [saddlhunter.com shouts in unison] BLAME G2!
"I kicked a chair in the middle of the night on my way to the bathroom" [saddlhunter.com shouts in unison] BLAME G2!
"Ol' Mossy Horns got away because my platform squeaked" [saddlhunter.com shouts in unison] BLAME G2!
"I hit a pot hole on my way to work and spilled hot coffee on my d***" [saddlhunter.com shouts in unison] BLAME G2!
"My wife and I just had our first baby and he came out a different skin color" [saddlhunter.com shouts in unison] BLAME G2!

I was thinking about trying this from scratch. Looking for some advice on few mods I was thinking about. Thicker wall thickness tubing, 6 point brackets, using step that angle out like the mantis ones, and keeping the sticks short around the 18 in mark. Any other suggestions?

Back