• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Long time Saddle user new to the group

SwampRabbit

Hello all, I have been using a Trophyline Saddle for better than 15 yrs and love it. I fell from a tree back in 2008 (not using a saddle) and it kind of scared me from heights for a while. Been kicking the idea of pulling the old saddle out of retirement lately. Used to love hunting from this thing. I am looking for suggestions for a platform or better yet something like the Ring of Steps, but I'm really a big guy at 330 lbs. This exceeds most platform and step weights. I always preferred using steps over a platform because I felt like I had better maneuverability around the tree. Problem is I'm 61 years old and with arthritis, it's not as easy to screw them steps in anymore. Anybody got any suggestions.

I’m rocking the predator platform at 290 lbs. It’s definitely the best lightweight platform out there. The lone wolf hand climber is definitely stronger. I’m giving the platform a fair chance but believe I was more comfortable on wild edge stepps. They are solid and would hold your weight but some trees with soft wood may give you problems. What is your climbing system?

Welcome aboard.

I will not get in a tree any other way than saddle hunting. I too am a big guy. I would tell you the Predator has been great. I am using the beast hunting sticks. They are rock solid. 22” between steps.

I also have both the XOP’s, helium’s. The Helium’s flex under foot. The XOP are rock solid but with only 1 step on either side. There is a member here on the forum that is making 2 sided steps to replace the top step on the lone wolf and XOP sticks. The XOP are rated for 350 and are very comfortable to use as you get a deep set with them. I will switch over I think to The XOP’s once it gets colder and cannot take a a big a step. I believe the XOP are 16” between steps.

Back