• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking at the new Mantis- newbie asking for a little advice

ajandrs

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while trying to learn more and more about saddle hunting as I plan to go mobile this coming season. I'm a relatively new hunter and have only hunted off the ground or out of ladder stands the last few years but I've had enough of that and need to be more mobile. I can't seem to make up my mind whether I want to go with a hang-on and sticks, or a saddle with sticks. Keep in mind I have no hunting specific climbing experience, but since both choices would require learning that skill I'm only concerned with how I want to "sit" in the tree all day. I've sat on many hang-on's in the big box stores and they seem comfortable enough, but in my ladder stands I often leaned back against the front safety bar with my tether taught and was very comfortable doing so ... very similar to how you would lean back away from the tree in a saddle so I feel like in that sense a saddle would feel pretty natural and comfortable to me. But entry price is what is scaring me off and making me think it may not be the best way to get into mobile hunting.

To get into a hanger, I can get the XOP Vanish and Helium sticks for $260, plus another $80 for a linemens belt and Ascender 1 ... I have everything else I'd need for that setup - $340 total

To get into the Mantis I'm looking at $560 (saddle, linemen belt, tether, SYS hauler, Recliner, Ascender 1, platform) and still need sticks - $660 total

So it's practically double the price to get into the saddle, without ever even sitting in one before. I know there is likely some bias in opinions considering what forum I'm on, but what do you all think is a better route to go for a beginning mobile hunter? My main hang-up (no pun intended) is that if I go with the hang-on and later want to add a saddle to my gear, I could always steal the seat off my Vanish to build a platform. Hell the entire Vanish is the same price as the TETHRD platform so I may just do that either way and have a complete hang-on if I ever wanted to use it in that capacity.

Help me out guys, is saddle hunting really worth the bigger price tag sight unseen, or is a hang-on a better entry point to get me run'n and gun'n and add the saddle later?

To me, it makes 0 sense to saddle hunt unless you are highly mobile. I hunt about a dozen pieces of property, and 2 miles is about the minumum I cover in a day. I hardly ever hunt the same tree more than twice in a year. No trails, no roads; just swamp and briars.

If you hunt a similar way, save your pennies and get a saddle system. Even if it means not being able to do it now. I logged a lot of hours on a folding, 3-legged stool.

Go with a hang on. We don't need more saddle hunters walking way back into the areas I hunt.
:tearsofjoy:

Unfortunately the small-ish public land I have access to has so many access points all around it that a half mile is about as far as a hike as you can have so it's hard to get away from even the lazier bunch ... and subsequently not super necessary to worry about keeping weight as low as possible.

Help me out guys, is saddle hunting really worth the bigger price tag sight unseen, or is a hang-on a better entry point to get me run'n and gun'n and add the saddle later?

Welcome to the forum! Where are you located?? You may be able to connect with someone in your area to try a saddle out. Check out the Saddlehunter map. https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/saddle-hunter-google-map.4272/

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the consensus on your question is....YES, worth every penny. Personally, I think the saddle is more comfortable than the hang-on's I've used. I will say, last year was my first in a saddle. I also used WE Stepps. I felt like I was barely carrying anything with me into the woods. I'm no longer having that internal debate of "do I really want to carry my stand that far??" I'm just mad I didn't discover and jump into saddle hunting sooner.

Go with a hang on. We don't need more saddle hunters walking way back into the areas I hunt.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

For one, it’s not an either/or proposition really. You can use any dang platform you want with a saddle, including a hang-on, all the way down to the minimalist ring of step configurations. Basically just think of a saddle as a safety harness replacement, but with the added functionality of 360 degree shooting, and potentially even a safety upgrade if used as intended.

I can't recommend a saddle universally, some people just aren't going to be comfortable with them. But there's a reason a lot of mobile hunters end up here at some point.

Look into the RC harness/sitdrag combo. I’ve never tried one, but it’s the cheapest way to try a saddle. Search here and there is tons of info.

Check out the saddlehunter map too. Get in touch with someone close and see if you can demo their stuff.

Resale value of this stuff is good too. If you buy something and decide you want to move on, most things go pretty fast in the classifieds and you're not going to make out too badly.

:tearsofjoy:

Unfortunately the small-ish public land I have access to has so many access points all around it that a half mile is about as far as a hike as you can have so it's hard to get away from even the lazier bunch ... and subsequently not super necessary to worry about keeping weight as low as possible.
Then either option will serve you well. Saddles are awesome, but not always needed. TBH, if I was in your shoes I'd focus more on finding places to hunt than buying better deer. Can't kill what's not there, no matter how good your gear is.

Then either option will serve you well. Saddles are awesome, but not always needed. TBH, if I was in your shoes I'd focus more on finding places to hunt than buying better deer. Can't kill what's not there, no matter how good your gear is.

Pretty much agree here. I'd get those heliums asap too, it's going to take a good chunk of backyard practice mastering the hang and hunt regardless what you choose to use once you get up there. Either is substantially the same really, just depends what you want to carry and how you want to spend your hours in the stand.

Your cost analysis is based on buying many more Cadillacs when purchasing a saddle vs a loc on. If you buy mantis only with sticks that is pretty comparable to vanish and sticks. At some point the extra $40 cost of the mantis vs vanish is going to come out in a wash because you will want to replace your safety harness you use with the loc on. The Sys hauler is a luxury, not necessary. The tethrd ropes are super nice but you can get that stuff much cheaper, just not as light and more bulky. The predator platform is another luxury. You could get by with using the top of your stick and two wild edge steps for $40.

For one, it’s not an either/or proposition really. You can use any dang platform you want with a saddle, including a hang-on, all the way down to the minimalist ring of step configurations. Basically just think of a saddle as a safety harness replacement, but with the added functionality of 360 degree shooting, and potentially even a safety upgrade if used as intended.

I can't recommend a saddle universally, some people just aren't going to be comfortable with them. But there's a reason a lot of mobile hunters end up here at some point.

Look into the RC harness/sitdrag combo. I’ve never tried one, but it’s the cheapest way to try a saddle. Search here and there is tons of info.

Check out the saddlehunter map too. Get in touch with someone close and see if you can demo their stuff.

Resale value of this stuff is good too. If you buy something and decide you want to move on, most things go pretty fast in the classifieds and you're not going to make out too badly.

Good solid advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id get the climbing method you think will suit you best, then be patient and wait for a deal on used gear. There’s plenty of ways to get into saddle hunting for less than what you’re planning to spend on hang on setup. But if you’re walking less than 1/2 mile a majority of the time, the advantage of a saddle will not be as great to you. I’m personally uncomfortable in hang ons, and most of my walks are over 1/2 mile.

If it were me and 500.00 was the budget, I’d watch the classifieds here and archery talk. I’d get mobile climbing method, a rock climbing harness(can be bought new or used not a huge cost) a sit drag, 24’ of climbing rope for tether and linesnans belt and bridge for any setup, some carabiners and a ropeman, some 8mm accessory cord, and then wait for a good deal on used hang ons and saddles that pop up plenty frequently. I think you can easily get all in on both methods for 500.00, then keep both or sell one once you decide.

Mostly, spend time reading here, and use the search button - it’s your friend

I agree with the above, as for that $660 figure . You don’t need all that to get started, climbing method & a couple steps as platform, saddle & go. Prob 2/3 that #

To me, it makes 0 sense to saddle hunt unless you are highly mobile. I hunt about a dozen pieces of property, and 2 miles is about the minumum I cover in a day. I hardly ever hunt the same tree more than twice in a year. No trails, no roads; just swamp and briars.

If you hunt a similar way, save your pennies and get a saddle system. Even if it means not being able to do it now. I logged a lot of hours on a folding, 3-legged stool.
I hunt a couple pieces of private land and wont go anywhere near 2 miles. I do believe that the saddle offers another advantage over a lock on and that is your image in the tree. I think with a saddle you can hug the tree and use the tree as cover more so than a lock on. At least thats what I am hoping. Full disclaimer is that I have never been in a saddle only a climber, lock on, and ladder stands. However last year while setting up a lock on I was using my heliums and standing on them only about 13 feet off the ground when a group of does came within 10 yards of me. I just stood there against the tree and they never knew I was there. Thats what made my mind up for trying a saddle. I also have been told that saddles are very comfortable. I can sit all day in a lock on pretty comfortably. I use Milleniums. Cant wait to get my saddle and platform!

I hunt a couple pieces of private land and wont go anywhere near 2 miles. I do believe that the saddle offers another advantage over a lock on and that is your image in the tree. I think with a saddle you can hug the tree and use the tree as cover more so than a lock on. At least thats what I am hoping. Full disclaimer is that I have never been in a saddle only a climber, lock on, and ladder stands. However last year while setting up a lock on I was using my heliums and standing on them only about 13 feet off the ground when a group of does came within 10 yards of me. I just stood there against the tree and they never knew I was there. Thats what made my mind up for trying a saddle. I also have been told that saddles are very comfortable. I can sit all day in a lock on pretty comfortably. I use Milleniums. Cant wait to get my saddle and platform!
I agree there are other advantages. But at the risk of offending some, I'll play devil's advocate.

Like people, some deer are just stupid. I've had similar situations to yours play out sitting on the ground, paddling a canoe, and sitting in traditional stands. It is true that the profile of a saddlehunter is different, but I've been picked off a tree in a saddle. Saddles also require more movement for certain shot options than a tree stand. Going up-and -over the bridge for example is a LOT of movement. Movement will get you picked off.

I look at it this way. I have a Browning Citori I squirrel hunt with. I very much enjoy this gun, and believe it is the perfect squirrel killing gun. It carries well, patterns well, and allows me to quickly switch between chokes for different situations. These are undeniable advantages over, say, an 870. I can squirrel hunt every day of the season should I choose to do so, and I usually do. I had the money, and I bought THE BEST. Bully for me.

But, I would not for a second recommend that somebody financially inconvenience themselves and purchase a citori just to hunt squirrels once or twice a year. The advantages are NOT worth the extra money for most folks.

If OP wants a saddle, and can find a saddle system for a price that fits his budget, then that's awesome. There's plenty of folks here to help him with that, myself included. I just wanted to point out that there was no reason to feel like he was "settling" by purchasing an XOP.

I agree there are other advantages. But at the risk of offending some, I'll play devil's advocate.

Like people, some deer are just stupid. I've had similar situations to yours play out sitting on the ground, paddling a canoe, and sitting in traditional stands. It is true that the profile of a saddlehunter is different, but I've been picked off a tree in a saddle. Saddles also require more movement for certain shot options than a tree stand. Going up-and -over the bridge for example is a LOT of movement. Movement will get you picked off.

I look at it this way. I have a Browning Citori I squirrel hunt with. I very much enjoy this gun, and believe it is the perfect squirrel killing gun. It carries well, patterns well, and allows me to quickly switch between chokes for different situations. These are undeniable advantages over, say, an 870. I can squirrel hunt every day of the season should I choose to do so, and I usually do. I had the money, and I bought THE BEST. Bully for me.

But, I would not for a second recommend that somebody financially inconvenience themselves and purchase a citori just to hunt squirrels once or twice a year. The advantages are NOT worth the extra money for most folks.

If OP wants a saddle, and can find a saddle system for a price that fits his budget, then that's awesome. There's plenty of folks here to help him with that, myself included. I just wanted to point out that there was no reason to feel like he was "settling" by purchasing an XOP.
Your squirrel hunt with your Citori! I knew I liked you-everything with class. And I mean, there's no way an 870 in .410 with a poly-choke would cut it ;-)

Also, with a little research, paying attention, and common sense, you can get into all of this equipment lightly used and save a little money. The fad has caused the used market to dry up just a little, bu but that will open back up as the new saddles catch up production. Classifieds here, craigslist, and archery y’all are your friends.

Just remember. This isnt new. It’s all been done before. It’ll all come around again. Patience

Back