• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for a little advice on my first DIY saddle

HotPickle

Hey Guys! Lots of great info here. I originally posted this in the custom mods subforum but I think that was the wrong spot, so I'm gonna throw this up here. I'm heading into my second year hunting, and looking forward to getting off the ground. I'm putting together my first saddle to start playing with for the off season, and would like to know if I'm headed in the right direction.

First, I'll be doing fleece and a rock climbing harness. I'm going to use a RADS system to get up in the tree.

For the Fleece:
I got enough to make 2 saddles, so I'm going to cut my first one, play with it, then maybe make another updated one in the fall. I got 3 questions for this if you guys can help me out moving forward.
1- Dimensions. From going through posts, I've got a range of 20-24" x 31-34" for the saddle. I'm 5'10", 200 lbs if anyone the same body size has a good recommendation for a starting point? Otherwise I will probably start at 24"x 34" and work down from there.
2- Stretch. I want the fleece stretch to run front to back, on the 20-24" side right?
3- Bridge. Amsteel (and it's substitutes) are a little tough to get where I am, and I'm trying to save money where I can. I have seen 7mm Static rope used, can I go smaller? Will the double girth hitch from DaveT's video work with the 7mm line, or will I have to use the hammock knot (from the ultralight saddle thread)? The reason I ask, is I would like to make 1 continuous bridge out of this rope, instead of tying off both ends of the fleece with their own closed loops and connecting them with webbing..... follow up question, I know I'll have to experiment with the size of bridge, but is 20-24" a good starting point?

For the platform:
I can't find strapon steps nearby, and I can't use screw in steps. Anybody got any DIY ideas for strapon steps? I'm not looking for a platform, just a couple spots to perch the feet... maybe that will change over the year but that's where I think I wanna start.

For the harness:
I'm also looking for recommendations on a Rock harness. I'm going to use a RADS system to get up in the tree, so I want to go with something a little more comfortable than the alpine bod style harness. Any suggestions for something less than $100?

I think that about does it at this point... thanks for the consideration guys!

Hey Guys! Lots of great info here. I originally posted this in the custom mods subforum but I think that was the wrong spot, so I'm gonna throw this up here. I'm heading into my second year hunting, and looking forward to getting off the ground. I'm putting together my first saddle to start playing with for the off season, and would like to know if I'm headed in the right direction.

First, I'll be doing fleece and a rock climbing harness. I'm going to use a RADS system to get up in the tree.

For the Fleece:
I got enough to make 2 saddles, so I'm going to cut my first one, play with it, then maybe make another updated one in the fall. I got 3 questions for this if you guys can help me out moving forward.
1- Dimensions. From going through posts, I've got a range of 20-24" x 31-34" for the saddle. I'm 5'10", 200 lbs if anyone the same body size has a good recommendation for a starting point? Otherwise I will probably start at 24"x 34" and work down from there.
2- Stretch. I want the fleece stretch to run front to back, on the 20-24" side right?
3- Bridge. Amsteel (and it's substitutes) are a little tough to get where I am, and I'm trying to save money where I can. I have seen 7mm Static rope used, can I go smaller? Will the double girth hitch from DaveT's video work with the 7mm line, or will I have to use the hammock knot (from the ultralight saddle thread)? The reason I ask, is I would like to make 1 continuous bridge out of this rope, instead of tying off both ends of the fleece with their own closed loops and connecting them with webbing..... follow up question, I know I'll have to experiment with the size of bridge, but is 20-24" a good starting point?

For the platform:
I can't find strapon steps nearby, and I can't use screw in steps. Anybody got any DIY ideas for strapon steps? I'm not looking for a platform, just a couple spots to perch the feet... maybe that will change over the year but that's where I think I wanna start.

For the harness:
I'm also looking for recommendations on a Rock harness. I'm going to use a RADS system to get up in the tree, so I want to go with something a little more comfortable than the alpine bod style harness. Any suggestions for something less than $100?

I think that about does it at this point... thanks for the consideration guys!

I happen to have a body harness from one of my tree stands I attach my linemans rope to
and use that along with my fleece saddle with the stretch going front to back

I'm close to your body size what I did is took the fleece sat on it and cut it to length and used webbing tied to both ends of the fleece for my bridge

I did this so I can make adjustments it's easy to untie and retie to get my bridge length that works for me

once I feel I got the bugs out I'm going to finalize the design to be more permanent like your going to do with your second piece

for my feet I used a couple blocks of wood with rope going thru them, I'm planning to use stirrups next time I'm up a tree and see how it plays out
otherwise I need to find something else that works

@huntmore does it stay stretched out, or is there an elasticity to it? What size is yours right now, and how do you tie webbing to it, the same way?

I just found the "Calling all ameristep users" thread so I will be working through that for a hot minute

@huntmore does it stay stretched out, or is there an elasticity to it? What size is yours right now, and how do you tie webbing to it, the same way?

I just found the "Calling all ameristep users" thread so I will be working through that for a hot minute

there is elasticity to it

I know it is about 24 in front to back not sure what the cut length is yet left to right I'm still figuring out the final Dim's
I fold over the end to tie my webbing I've untied it a couple times making it shorter and longer still messing with it
when I sat in it I made sure I had enough left over to fold the ends over and adjust for my butt

Attachments

• 2thumbnail.jpg
    2thumbnail.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 148
  • saddle.jpg
    saddle.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 141
there is elasticity to it

I know it is about 24 in front to back not sure what the cut length is yet left to right I'm still figuring out the final Dim's
I fold over the end to tie my webbing I've untied it a couple times making it shorter and longer still messing with it
when I sat in it I made sure I had enough left over to fold the ends over and adjust for my butt

I know this thread is pretty old, just curious what type of knot you used to tie the webbing directly to the fleece?

I'm not sure what the knot is called but I folded the material over the strap and wrapped over it's self then threaded it thru the middle back towards itself

kind of like a hangmans knot it only gets tighter on itself never slipped for me can always put a knot at end of strap

So I had my mother in law triple stitch a channel for some 7mm static line that I made into loops (double fisherman's knot is ideal) and made a webbing bridge onto that (water knot for webbing)... I've been using the same saddle all season with no signs of breakdown. Try to get a uv/mould resistant thread. I think polyester? Theres plenty of threads on this site about that

Attachments

• 20191212_152803.jpg
    20191212_152803.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 46
I happen to have a body harness from one of my tree stands I attach my linemans rope to
and use that along with my fleece saddle with the stretch going front to back

I'm close to your body size what I did is took the fleece sat on it and cut it to length and used webbing tied to both ends of the fleece for my bridge

I did this so I can make adjustments it's easy to untie and retie to get my bridge length that works for me

once I feel I got the bugs out I'm going to finalize the design to be more permanent like your going to do with your second piece

for my feet I used a couple blocks of wood with rope going thru them, I'm planning to use stirrups next time I'm up a tree and see how it plays out
otherwise I need to find something else that works
How did you manage to get webbing tied for the bridge on fleece? I tried and it kept slipping off. do you have a secret?

Back