• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for biner that's safe for girth hitch

CJnGA

I'm getting comfortable one-sticking up and rappelling down. I'm using a figure 8 on bight and girth hitch to anchor to the tree, but I would like to find some sort of 'biner type device I could use on the loop to make it easier to rethread the rope. Every time I come to a limb that I need to work around, I have to unthread the rope and re-thread it through the loop as I leap frog the tree limb. It just seems like it's ripe with opportunity for me to drop something while fumbling around. Having something that I could just snap out/in would make it much easier (I think).

I'm very leery of the biner side-loading, so I'm curious if there are any hard devices out there that are approved for that type use.

TIA,
CJ

I went down this same road wanting to stay within safety specs but not re-threading for every limb..

Depends on type of rope from what I found..

For oplux search delta link on EWO. It’s a little triangle with a screw gate on one side.

For 9.0 mm HTP I’ve been using a Petzel quick link that’s an oval shape. Can’t remember where I got it but I think REI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have stated you're going to want a quick link/delta link, with the only caveat being that you probably want to go with a climbing rated link and not one from the hardware store.

Thanks folks.

I'm using HTP 9mm static rope as my rappel rope and Oplux for my tether. I use the tether as my primary climbing rope for single stick and then switch over to the HTP when I'm ready to come back down or when I need to get over a limb.

Just found this over at DanO's site:
"Plated Steel quick link for use in 1-sticking and SRT for a girth hitch. Allows you to quickly attach your rope instead of feeding your whole line through your girth hitch. Better than a carabiner as there’s no worry about cross-loading. "

Geee.. Not sure why I didn't see that before.

Back