• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for durable pants

Kyle Hey

I like wearing a pair of upland pants to hunt some of my areas, but I only have one pair. I am wondering what else is out there as far as pants with durability but also are quiet enough wear to bow hunt. I am also a budget conscious consumer. Anyone find some good results with any pants on the market?

For brush busting and such the duluth fire hose pants are pretty good. A little heavy but have been mega durable.
What he said. I've used the same pair for 4 years and have only a small hole. Burrs really don't stick and the ones that do are easy to pick off. Good pockets too, minus the velcro.

For brush busting and such the duluth fire hose pants are pretty good. A little heavy but have been mega durable.

They have thinned out the material on the fire hose plants something awful. The last pair I got are less than half the fabric thickness from the originals. Definitely not thorn proof anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walls ditch diggers have been good. Ever since Carhartt and Duluth went all cheapo, I have liked the walls.

They have thinned out the material on the fire hose plants something awful. The last pair I got are less than half the fabric thickness from the originals. Definitely not thorn proof anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didnt know that. My 3 pairs are 6-7 years old now and still going strong.

These are really pricey for someone to buy them outright but they wear like iron. They actually could use a bit of a break in period.

I'm not a big gear guy but this is one area I follow pretty closely as I encounter brush and briars pretty much anywhere I hunt and up until about 10 years ago the options just flat sucked as the initial run on performance hunting clothes was dominated by the westies.

Patagonia Field Pants - These are by far the best overall outdoor pants where you may encounter briars I've owned. The upper is incredibly stretchy and comfortable, and the cordura armor is brushed in a way that it way more flexible and quiet than most cordura type fabric. It's not louder or stiffer than a pair of good blue jeans. I have three pairs that should last me a decade or two. But they stopped making them, unfortunately. I can still find odd sizes now and again but keep looking for my size every month or two and haven't found any lately. I don't do much gear evangelizing, but these pants I do. Wish someone would pick the exact design back up.

First lite Sawbuck is okayish. I bought the first run so maybe things have changed, but their upper material isn't stretchy enough and the cordura is more typical cordura, it's a tad loud and stiff. It's better than your run of the mill cotton bird pant, but it's a little loud for archery deer usage.

Kuiu came out with brush pants, I have not yet tried them. They look appealing, if I didn't love my Patagonia's so much I'd undoubtedly own a pair.

Orvis also makes some similar synthetic/performance-oriented brush pants, have not tried them either.

I have a bin full of run of the mill cotton brush pants. Pass on those. You want a synthetic upper with a light cordura facing.

I have several other pairs of synthetic pants with tighter weaves that I would call more brush resistant than your typical male yoga pants that pass for hiking pants, but none of them really stand up to mf rose, greenbriar, or heavy blackberry canes.

They are not bad especially after a few washes. It’s still codura so they are never super quiet. Same as carhartt

Back