• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for some opinions on ozone

Golferhunter

SH Member
I've used ozone for the last 2 seasons to treat all my gear. I’m curious to hear what the SH community thinks about ozone.

IMO its one of the best scent control

There is no doubt in my mind ozone kills odors. Use it around the house all the time. Stale McDonald's smell in truck? Ozone. Litter box got a little ripe? Ozone. Sardine can sat a bit too long in the trash? Ozone.

Also no doubt in my mind that the ozone smell occurs naturally in the woods. Hunting near water in a rainy part of the world, I smell it all the time.

But I don't use it. Takes minutes for my clean clothes to be drenched in sweat most of the season, so it seems kind of pointless. I'm looking at four 8 points on my wall as I eat my grits and eggs. Three of them are public, all of them are Alabama. At the ripe old age of 26, I think I'm doing ok so far without scent control.

If we got more cool weather and I didn't walk/paddle/ride so far to hunt, I would definitely use ozone before I tried scent sprays or any of that hoodoo.

I use it all the time.
The whole topic of odor is pretty much based on anecdotal opinions. How deer react to odor is dependent on a pile of variables.
I lean toward being as careful as I can be when it comes to avoiding detection.
Although wind is my number 1 concern, odor REDUCTION is a close 2nd concern. I do believe there is an accumulative effect of our odor on clothes, boots, gear, vehicle interiors. Some things can be laundered and some thing cannot be laundered.
Thats where ozone is most valuable IMO.
Synthetics hold odors more so than wool or cotton. Ozone really shines when it comes to deodorizing the inside of boots, vehicle interiors, motel rooms, and gear that can't be easily cleaned on road trip OR at home.
Ozone generators are cheap, easy to use and they DO eliminate odors...its just the ticket when the wind inevitably screws you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I had experience with ozone generators when I worked in hospitality industry. I was rotated through the cleaning staff that flipped rooms at a hotel. One of the devices we used to treat the smoking rooms or even non-smoking rooms where people had smoked was an industrial ozone generator. I don't know much about the output of the machine other than it was about the size of a medium suitcase on wheels with a handle and a hose. We'd run the generator for about an hour and it would do a really good job of deodorizing rooms, though could never take out the cigarette smell completely from the smoking rooms.

They definitely to work IN A CLOSED, CONTROLLED environment. On stand it's a waste of time. I have never used one to deodorize hunting clothing. I probably never will.

I have used ozone for my clothes for about 2 years. I'm in the Deep South like nutter and am drenched in sweat on most of my hunts. I use it primarily to keep my clothes from being real stinky from one hunt to the next sweat stinks, but if my sports bags from high school taught me anything, its that stale sweaty funk is worse than fresh sweaty funk. So I use it primarily to keep my clothes from getting so funky even I can smell them. Even if its all in my head, I trust it, so I hunt with more confidence.

I use it. My clothes will smell like ozone long after I use it. That doesn’t stop new smelly bacteria from forming but I’m guessing it helps even after a long hike in. It definitely helps daily at camp where no washer/dryer is available.

That said. I’m not scent savvy like some of the dedicated souls on here are.

Wind is my frenemy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use it and started using a super fine mesh laundry bag that I filled with leaves twigs acorns and some pine needles from the woods I hunt in... my thought process is after the ozone kills my stank the diy scent bag will make my clothes smell like the woods...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There is no doubt in my mind ozone kills odors. Use it around the house all the time. Stale McDonald's smell in truck? Ozone. Litter box got a little ripe? Ozone. Sardine can sat a bit too long in the trash? Ozone.

Also no doubt in my mind that the ozone smell occurs naturally in the woods. Hunting near water in a rainy part of the world, I smell it all the time.

But I don't use it. Takes minutes for my clean clothes to be drenched in sweat most of the season, so it seems kind of pointless. I'm looking at four 8 points on my wall as I eat my grits and eggs. Three of them are public, all of them are Alabama. At the ripe old age of 26, I think I'm doing ok so far without scent control.

If we got more cool weather and I didn't walk/paddle/ride so far to hunt, I would definitely use ozone before I tried scent sprays or any of that hoodoo.

I'm with you on this one. I've never used it in my life until this season. Got a Scentlok OZ400 to try out. Seems to work great in the truck. Put on my nice "clean" clothes and still got does blowing up a storm when they get downwind. Tried running it in the tree just for a test....yep. Busted when they got downwind. I've had better luck smoking my clothes and will probably switch back to that. The ozone is nice for the truck and my man cave downstairs, but other than that I don't need it to kill deer. Play the wind and let the hunt play out. Sometimes I get busted, most times I don't. I love the challenge of playing the wind!

I have zero faith in using ozone in the field. I have complete faith in using ozone in an enclosed space to help deodorize my gear.

Curious why a thermacell works in open air but non of you think ozone will?

I still see skeeters try to creep in when using the TC when there is a breeze that blows the smoke away from me for a short time. I think with the ozone there's no way for it to kill every bit of scent that comes off you due to very small air currents around you in the tree. It doesn't take much scent to spook a deer so if the ozone isn't COMPLETELY killing every bit of scent off of you there's no way for it to be effective enough in the tree. That's just my take on it, i'm very much an ozone noob. lol

IIt's a lot easier to add something to repel than it is to create an absence of odor. I do use an ozonics, figuring it can't hurt (except for bulk) but my faith in it varies with situation.

Odor discussion goes way beyond the basics of wind, ozone, and scentlok.
Each one of those aspects have a dozen aspects of their own. And then there is the fact that each of them interact. Then, then idea of whether something "works" or not is really subjective. Deer, that sometimes we have no idea are even present, may react in various ways to different intensities of our odor.
I can't imagine taking for granted what stupid little adjustment wind will make at just the wrong time. Just hunt the wind?? Bad assumptions IMO.
Assuming deer won't end up where you don't want them? Another bad assumption. Are deer patterns in your area THAT consistent?
I want to take every, paranoid precaution that something is gonna go wrong when it comes to being winded. If it pays off only 5 percent of the time, to me, its worth taking a few precautions. ****...mature bucks seem to luck out when 1% goes their way.
So, here's another way I'm using ozone. The inside of rubber boots need 2 things...keep them dry so they keep your feet warmer, of course, but dry also reduces bacterial growth. I religiously put my boots on the driers...I realized that if I pump ozone into the dryer, I can kill 2 birds with one stone.
Make no mistake...the stink INSIDE rubber boots billows out as you walk. Odor reduction on the inside is as important as the outside.

854dc7632e92a2d555d99974c47bc3c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I use it all the time. No more needing to worry about clothes being dried or washed. Only wash my clothes if theyre muddy or bloody. But no reason to pay 200 for scent crusher.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079GS12KT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_pmsWBb9RXVF6V

The exact same thing, manufactured same place, same Ozone output. Just marketed different. I have had deer down wind numerous times. Never winded. With that and evercalm Im invisible.

What sold me is using it while staying at someones house where the carpets were filled with old dog piss that smelled horrendous. Ran the ozone for 2 hours and completely eliminared the smell allowing me to sleep instead of die.

Can you use too much ozone? Any negatives to using one made for a whole basement in a closet with just your hunting cloths in it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Can you use too much ozone? Any negatives to using one made for a whole basement in a closet with just your hunting cloths in it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
You can use too much ozone. Some rubber and elastics do not like it well. We overozoned a set of under armour bibs amd some elastic strings inside a couple of jackets. It made the elastic no longer elastic. I love using ozone except when I ruin clothing with it.

I too love the effects of O-Zone, but when it comes to running clothing or anything with rubber it makes me very cautious. It actually cost some damage to the set of Bino’s I had. As well as some elastics and Rubber cording inside of jackets and pants. I will only use it whenever it is pure clothing with none of those other items included

When running it in a tighter space like a bag or tote I only do my clothing. But I do run it in a closet/ mud room woth all of my gear in it, bow, binos, boots, everything and never had any problems. The amount of ozone output in a larger space isnt enough to do serious damage. One of the products is a room air purifier using ozone. Just dont sit there breathing in directly from the nozzle like its a snorkle.

Never tried ozone. Killed lotta deer with my bow. I really like ConQuest deer herd sticks, I've watched dozens of deer walk my same path where I've put it on my boots, a hundred yards even. 8 bucks when the season ends. Just my .02.

I've never used ozone for hunting purposes but have known realtors who have used it in houses prior to listing. When I was in Basspro the other day, I noticed some small ozone generators that you plug into your vehicle's cigarette lighter. It would seem that occasional use in a hunting vehicle might be beneficial. Does anyone have any experience with this application?

Back