• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Louisiana Noob

Hey guys, I’ve been creeping on this forum hard after learning about this whole saddle hunting community from a guy at work. Well I drank the koolaid so much that I have a Tethrd Mantis kit that just got delivered today. Man this thing is nice!! Don’t be mad at me- I needed an XL and ordered Friday 9/28 and got it today 10/2... BTW the Tethrd website was down Friday and customer service was top notch as Mrs Power called me directly to take my order over the phone.

I ordered a ring of steps to use as my platform for now.

My main question is what to buy next to climb? I am used to buying a set of sticks and a lock on to set up for a spot, NOT ANYMORE! I hunt on a 6,000 acre lease with an extensive trail system so light weight isn’t all that important to me as my long hikes in will be 1/2 mile at most. I can also set up trees to hunt later in the season, when the wind is right, etc.
9abe4252496a34d1937a0bc8abc941e1.jpg

What’s your favorite climbing method? Not interested in using aiders... may be going on some public land hunts with some buddies once or twice a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, this is a tough one because climbing systems are like cars, everyone has their favorite! I'm a big fan of SRT for presets, and I really like the weight and size of my WE Stepps. I really don't like bulk, but if you are walking on trails it might not be as big of a deal. Sticks seem to be pretty popular, can be heavier but some pretty nice lightweight options, I think modified Hawk Helium sticks would probably be at the top of my list, but I got some used Muddy Pro's because I didn't want to modify them, lol.

Welcome! I’m from Louisiana as well. Quite a few of us on here. Check out the Louisiana saddle hunters thread.

If weight is not a big deal for you, climbing sticks may be the way to go. Bolts are a good option if your lease allows and you will be doing pre sets.

Welcome Bayou!

Have you considered spikes? I know you said you may hunt public but if you’re mostly on private land spike are extremely easy and light to carry and gives you the ability to climb any thing you want to climb. I don’t thing there’s anything more versatile out there.

Where are you from in Louisiana and where do you hunt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies fellas. I think I’m going to go with some hawk helium’s and play with them in the yard for now(I have a Cabelas gift card from work).

I do have some sets already up I can pull the stand and use my sticks and ring of steps as a platform but I’m stoked about getting into some new areas as most of the people in my club are too lazy to get into the thick stuff!

I’m from Baton Rouge and hunt in Liberty, MS.

Welcome Bayou!

Have you considered spikes? I know you said you may hunt public but if you’re mostly on private land spike are extremely easy and light to carry and gives you the ability to climb any thing you want to climb. I don’t thing there’s anything more versatile out there.

Where are you from in Louisiana and where do you hunt?

I have never used spikes to climb but I think they would be an excellent option. Any recommendations on some to look at?

Welcome! I’m from Louisiana as well. Quite a few of us on here. Check out the Louisiana saddle hunters thread.

If weight is not a big deal for you, climbing sticks may be the way to go. Bolts are a good option if your lease allows and you will be doing pre sets.

I’ll check out the Louisiana saddle thread- do y’all have a standard bolt size to use or are there specific bolts for climbing? Told you I’m a noob...

I have never used spikes to climb but I think they would be an excellent option. Any recommendations on some to look at?

This is pretty much the best choice without breaking the bank. I’d love to have the newer carbon fiber spurs but I just can’t see spending that kind of money when I’m not climbing trees all day long every day.

Climb Right Aluminum Tree Spurs with Ultra Light Pads

This is pretty much the best choice without breaking the bank. I’d love to have the newer carbon fiber spurs but I just can’t see spending that kind of money when I’m not climbing trees all day long every day.

Climb Right Aluminum Tree Spurs with Ultra Light Pads

Thanks man! I’ll check them out!

Oh yeah, welcome. I have modified heliums, bolts, and spurs if you want to come play with some climbing methods. I'm in Denham Springs. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, welcome. I have modified heliums, bolts, and spurs if you want to come play with some climbing methods. I'm in Denham Springs. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Heck of an offer man, thanks!!

After playing with this thing in the back yard, do most people basically stand the whole time with a lot of weight on the saddle? Seems like it would be super easy to wear some knee pads and rest against the tree. I’m just trying to think real life hunting situation and prepping to grab my bow for a shot without getting busted.

After playing with this thing in the back yard, do most people basically stand the whole time with a lot of weight on the saddle? Seems like it would be super easy to wear some knee pads and rest against the tree. I’m just trying to think real life hunting situation and prepping to grab my bow for a shot without getting busted.

Some wear knee pads, or strap a piece of foam to the tree.

These are the knee pads that most of us have settled on. You can use these against the tree while sitting, you can straddle the tree while sitting and then also just stand and lean. For me having three different positions to move into makes things much more comfortable.

https://www.bergsskishop.com/knee-p...frr1xiktqVOlq-lgnNTTG9OEaQ8MmK6QaAmfVEALw_wcB

FYI I’m in the saddle hunting for my first time, this thing is cool. My lock on hasn’t had a good wind for this spot all year so I climbed a tree on the other side of the oak flat!

I ended up with API huntin’ sticks. These things are pretty nice! Using an old seat pad with a bungee for knee pads as of now.

Thanks for all of y’alls advice so far!

Back