• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

LW Hand Climber Mod

ShooterMike

So I wasn’t too keen on drilling through the casting to make the bolt mod. I stopped by the hardware store and grabbed a piece of 90* steel, some u-clamps, and rubber bungee. I added the rubber mat in case I decide to add pack straps to carry this separate from by hunting pack. The mat is secured with zip ties. The hooks for the bungee cords are zip tied down so they don’t move or “clank”.

Climbed up a tree in the rain when I was finished. Didn’t have any issues. I was planning to add a strap to the back to help stabilize for side pressure, but honestly, the way I maneuver around a tree, side pressure on the platform isn’t such an issue for me.

Just thought I’d share in case someone else is debating on whether or not to drill, and wanted to explore some other options.
0eba969a3a60f81739e5d9d3e629b7a9.jpg

1bed4edf606f06a24eca166fac1afa57.jpg

ef848f3ff2e6524f64d5525255274ead.jpg

dba55fcaf607a82e417a6c7b54ad385f.jpg

1e3a41372c26e4423f9b1678f237f2b2.jpg

6c0c3dc22ae5e6495b96a5a2b68bc99c.jpg

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you arranged it so you could flip the mat over to the opposite side, it'd make a decent seat for hunting at ground level too.

No wrong solution, yours works and is more durable too! I will share a concept I am experimenting with (no risk here, so feel free try at it home) to make it climb better without the belt grabbing everything, and it may make these mods unnecessary. I am using some vinyl tubing over the arms to extend them, likely will end up just replacing the arms with longer ones. It still folds down flat with this mod too, and worse case, I can remove them on the fly and throw them at does for fun. So far, it has been much better to use this way, but I have not tested without my rope mod yet. Edit - the gorilla tape on the belt also keeps it from being so floppy, but does not affect.its ability to climb or stay on the tree.
f66c2d66826bdf32a8ee4fae98acb3c5.jpg
bee0cd8e67ecd02ff076a402c9344cb0.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like another viable solution. I tried Mtsrunners rope mode, but it didn’t work for me. It would hold one or twice then the rope would push out. I probably didn’t do it right. I’m still considering other options for modifying my lwhc.

Looks like another viable solution. I tried Mtsrunners rope mode, but it didn’t work for me. It would hold one or twice then the rope would push out. I probably didn’t do it right. I’m still considering other options for modifying my lwhc.
I tape mine directly to the platform, not the arm. They tore after the first few climbs with just vet tape. I put it back with 3 layers of gorilla tape and a couple layers of hockey tape and it is holding up fine now. I am willing to re-tape it weekly over drilling, just don't trust that mod on this platform material. These are just minor pains to achieve the greater benefit of the platform and climber in one unit.

I have thought about that, but have not tried it. Definitely will consider it. I also have a few other ideas up my sleeve Im gonna try. I really would like to make this hand climber work. It seems like it could be an excellent tool to have in the bag.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a really good purpose built saddle climbing platform?

Then agian...we'd be so bored without all the room to tinker.

Gotta say, I'm watching closely where you'll go with this. I love the LWHC method on paper. My biggest gripe is platform rigidity.

Thanks for sharing.

I think Im moving away from my lwhc this season. It was awesome carrying only one item for climb and platform but it was not easy enough to climb to make it my system. Our short leaf pines and rough bark hardwoods are just too grabby on the band. I would find myself spent, look down and be 10 ft up haha. I think its great out east with the smooth bark perfectly straight poplars that you see in the demo vids.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a really good purpose built saddle climbing platform?

Then agian...we'd be so bored without all the room to tinker.

Gotta say, I'm watching closely where you'll go with this. I love the LWHC method on paper. My biggest gripe is platform rigidity.

Thanks for sharing.

I would still find a reason to tinker with it. Like you said, I really hope someone comes out with a climbing platform that addresses all of the compromises we make with the LWHC. Ive said before, I don’t mind that the platform isn’t rigid. I think that actually helps with foot fatigue and helps to keep it quiet when you shift your weight. I’m probably in the minority on that, though.
If any manufacturers are watching this thread, PM me. I have ideas.

No wrong solution, yours works and is more durable too! I will share a concept I am experimenting with (no risk here, so feel free try at it home) to make it climb better without the belt grabbing everything, and it may make these mods unnecessary. I am using some vinyl tubing over the arms to extend them, likely will end up just replacing the arms with longer ones. It still folds down flat with this mod too, and worse case, I can remove them on the fly and throw them at does for fun. So far, it has been much better to use this way, but I have not tested without my rope mod yet. Edit - the gorilla tape on the belt also keeps it from being so floppy, but does not affect.its ability to climb or stay on the tree.

Does the paracord for the foot strap adjust or do you have it locked in? I have a strap I can adjust but find it bulky. I like the paracord option better if it adjusts.

Sorry for the multiple comments, but that isn’t paracord, is it? Would like to know what that cord is if anybody knows.

Sorry for the multiple comments, but that isn’t paracord, is it? Would like to know what that cord is if anybody knows.

No paracord there, the flo green is a Dynaglide whoopie for a foot strap (thx to @mtsrunner for that idea) and the other is 7/64" Amsteel that i connect to my saddle as a backup attachment in case the platform slipped off or fell for some reason.

No paracord there, the flo green is a Dynaglide whoopie for a foot strap (thx to @mtsrunner for that idea) and the other is 7/64" Amsteel that i connect to my saddle as a backup attachment in case the platform slipped off or fell for some reason.

Thank you! Just ordered the exact to give it a try.

Back