• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

LW Hand Climber Mod

tracker12

I just picked up a LW Hand Climber. Looking to modify it to use add my climbing method. Any pics of how anyone has done this would be appreciated. Tips for using this climbing method also appreciated.

I used JB weld to change the angle of the strap/bracket… 3rd season and holding … 190 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I remember seeing that someone achieved the same effect as the bolt mod by taping a piece of hose or rope on.

Picked up my LW hand climber today. Put on some temp straps and played around in the yard. Didn't really see me changing the angle right now but time will tell. Right now getting the right foot strap is the priority.

I loved my LWHC, I did the bolt mod, and it really helped with the climbing angle. Broke it in November 2020.
Bought another, did the rope mod, it broke in November 2021. I really wish it would work and not break, but it’s cast. So when it breaks it is sometimes catastrophic.
#2 broke completely in half, but only 4 feet off the ground.
Until somebody comes up with one that isn’t huge and combersome, or isn’t cast, I think I learned my lesson.
It’s still probably the “best” method for lightweight and least bulky. I’m just saying have an alternative way down the tree.

Well that’s one reason I really think mid to a summit top would work better. Looking for a cheap summit to hack up. Will have a rappel rope on hand for any problems. I have all summer to figure it out. Fun times in between turkey season golf and fishing

I loved my LWHC, I did the bolt mod, and it really helped with the climbing angle. Broke it in November 2020.
Bought another, did the rope mod, it broke in November 2021. I really wish it would work and not break, but it’s cast. So when it breaks it is sometimes catastrophic.
#2 broke completely in half, but only 4 feet off the ground.
Until somebody comes up with one that isn’t huge and combersome, or isn’t cast, I think I learned my lesson.
It’s still probably the “best” method for lightweight and least bulky. I’m just saying have an alternative way down the tree.
I can't remember the name, but there definitley is a thread talking about a slightly similar purpose built platform that came out in the past couple months.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Found one of the threads.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Kudos to Barren Ridge for at least answering the mail here.

I can't believe we haven't seen a machined (LWHC top style) climbing platform.

If those rumors get much staler, I may revisit my DIY Ambush platform as a contender for a climbing aid build.

Anything new on it, @Adrena123?

Kudos to Barren Ridge for at least answering the mail here.

I can't believe we haven't seen a machined (LWHC top style) climbing platform.

If those rumors get much staler, I may revisit my DIY Ambush platform as a contender for a climbing aid build.

Anything new on it, @Adrena123?

I do know LWCG is building a climber but I have no idea of design or specs. I would think a "full size" climber would be 1st followed by a smaller unit later. As far as a saddle specific style climber, I'm not sure. I would take a one piece platform/ tether style combo but I have nothing against a well designed 2 piece combo at all. They make some good stuff for sure. Andre knows what I did to his LWHC seat so he might as well build me/ us a real one. I gotta reach out again, I would like to get my hands on a prototype.

I do know LWCG is building a climber but I have no idea of design or specs. I would think a "full size" climber would be 1st followed by a smaller unit later. As far as a saddle specific style climber, I'm not sure. I would take a one piece platform/ tether style combo but I have nothing against a well designed 2 piece combo at all. They make some good stuff for sure. Andre knows what I did to his LWHC seat so he might as well build me/ us a real one. I gotta reach out again, I would like to get my hands on a prototype.
If he needs and old fat guy to put his prototype through its paces I know one!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Can you believe my OG LWHC is still in service, I think it's 3 seasons.

@bongo's finally broke though!! lol .. My man @bongo

I've got two in a tub somewhere with the bolt mod already done and they are just collecting dust. I should probably just sell them. Every time I go, I grab my Frankenstick with the UP top.

I've got two in a tub somewhere with the bolt mod already done and they are just collecting dust. I should probably just sell them. Every time I go, I grab my Frankenstick with the UP top.

I only use mine when I know I'm going to a limbless tree which was about 10 hunts this year. Such a treat to use because it's light ,fast and quiet.
It's pretty much because of it (LWHC) that I'm 99% hybrid nowadays. Can't beat a big platform (LWCG .5) for spinning weak side with a camera in one hand and a bow in the other.

So last year I bought a brand new whole system because you couldn't just get the hand section. I used it successfully for the last half of the 2020 season with the bolt mod.
Now you guys got me concerned. So there is a high probability of it breaking? I think I may cut the foot section which is purpose built and use that instead. I saw Sean's Outdoors do it. I hunt only with a Shrew Classic Hunter II so 4 pounds is nothing to add. Wheelie Bows are so cumbersome so I will still be ahead of the curve. Thoughts?

Back