• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

LWCG Ambush Noise

okccj

Oct 11, 2016
Now that the bent bolt issue has been resolved, I'd like us to start brainstorming of ways to quiet the noise that's created when the teeth of the platform rub against the tree. It seems like if you weigh >200 lbs the stand flexes a bit when pressure is applied to either side of the platform and it's this flexing that causes the rubbing noise.

Variables:
  • Tree diameter
  • tree type
  • strap position/tightness
  • camming aggressiveness
  • platform angle
Has anyone found the sweet spot to eliminate the noise?

Reactions: huntin_addict

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017
Where the skys are so blue!
Now that the bent bolt issue has been resolved, I'd like us to start brainstorming of ways to quiet the noise that's created when the teeth of the platform rub against the tree. It seems like if you weigh >200 lbs the stand flexes a bit when pressure is applied to either side of the platform and it's this flexing that causes the rubbing noise.

Variables:
  • Tree diameter
  • tree type
  • strap position/tightness
  • camming aggressiveness
  • platform angle
Has anyone found the sweet spot to eliminate the noise?
So I talked to Brad about this. His advise was to work the teeth of the stand over the bark a couple of times when setting it up and kinda wear it smooth so it didn't have anything to catch on.

My add-on to that would be don't side load it like you would a smaller, stouter platform. I haven't found it to be necessary while actually hunting. It hasn't made a peep. It only shifts and makes a little noise if I'm trying to make it do that.

okccj

Oct 11, 2016
So I talked to Brad about this. His advise was to work the teeth of the stand over the bark a couple of times when setting it up and kinda wear it smooth so it didn't have anything to catch on.

My add-on to that would be don't side load it like you would a smaller, stouter platform. I haven't found it to be necessary while actually hunting. It hasn't made a peep. It only shifts and makes a little noise if I'm trying to make it do that.
Thanks for the insight.
Thoughts on using a file to intentionally dull the teeth a bit?

tedk

Oct 10, 2019
Yeah, I’m hesitant to do it too, but I agree that if the teeth were different (less aggressive) it might do the trick.

huntin_addict

Jun 18, 2018
Erie County, PA
So, I had posted in other threads that I would be sending mine back. After a long conversation with Andrae, I've decided to keep it. They will be sending a new post when completed, and if that doesn't fix the issues, we'll re-address.

Anyhow, after receiving the fix for the bolt (mine was bent pretty bad) and installing, I quickly put it on a tree. I have also noted the noise, which appears to be from the platform flexing when side loading. Not exactly sure how to remedy this, but have plenty of time to work out the kinks. Will test and report back periodically.

Reactions: Nutterbuster

okccj

Oct 11, 2016
So, I had posted in other threads that I would be sending mine back. After a long conversation with Andrae, I've decided to keep it. They will be sending a new post when completed, and if that doesn't fix the issues, we'll re-address.

Anyhow, after receiving the fix for the bolt (mine was bent pretty bad) and installing, I quickly put it on a tree. I have also noted the noise, which appears to be from the platform flexing when side loading. Not exactly sure how to remedy this, but have plenty of time to work out the kinks. Will test and report back periodically.
What issues do you think a new post may resolve?

huntin_addict

Jun 18, 2018
Erie County, PA
Won't fix the flexing with the platform, however, that doesn't bother me. My issue with the post is the off center bolts. Also, the bushing on one side between post and platform is really hogged up compared to the other. I'm thinking the bolt holes are off there as well. Hopefully a new post corrects that.

Reactions: okccj

okccj

Oct 11, 2016
Where is the flex coming from? Is it the actual platform flexing or is it flexing at the point where the platform is connected to the post?

huntin_addict

Jun 18, 2018
Erie County, PA

And......discuss. Thoughts? I'm not exactly sure how to fix this. Perhaps the teeth on the back of the platform being ground down at an angle, to a point?

Dobby7

SH Member
Jan 28, 2019
Zanesville, Ohio
I definitely think it's the tooth design. I think it has too much surface area (3/4" teeth). I have noticed if I overtighten the platform to where I can't push it down all the way but stand on it to send it home it seems to make noise. Last evening I was on a hard bark tree and I noticed the noise.

Boomstick300

Sep 7, 2017
I feel the same way. Maybe the guy that immediately drilled through his post to solve the bent bolt issue will file down his teeth and give us an update. :grinning:

That guy would be me! lol. That fix, within two hours of getting the Ambush, made that platform, post, and bolt very solid and have zero reservations that it was not the more logical path. I’m still not convinced that that very little material on the front of that post is substantial enough to handle the pressures. The XOP “fix” they sent is not a fix. The bolt wasn’t even long enough to fully tighten the nut onto the bolt-I only had three threads left!!!! However, with that being said-My post was drilled off center causing majoring rubbing on one side and creating a god awful noise. I too talked to LWCG and apparently everyone who bought an Ambush will be receiving an updated and machined post-Hopefully I don’t have to drill through that one! lol!!!

Problems I see:

1. It’s a big platform! With that being said the leveraged forces are going to be greater! If you look at where most of the platforms on the market today connect at the platform and post-On most these have a more robust shoulder or base footing than the Ambush. I’m not an engineer but it would seem to me that this has something to do with the flex. There is hardly any stability built in. Either a more robust shoulder/base footing needs to be fabricated in order to “lock” the post down or create multiple points of contact to distribute the weight.

2. The teeth!!!!!! Maybe I will file mine down. This to me is a partial cause of the noise. The teeth will start to compact the wood density after multiple camming attempts and the wood will polish and contribute to that squeaking noise like sneakers do on highly smooth surfaces.

3. Quit chasing this weight fairy!!! I’m not sure how most of you guys feel but I’m getting burned out from chasing a few ounces!!! I would rather carry a little more as long as it packs well and it is well built! Most of these failures on equipment and platforms are from trying to achieve these unrealistic goals. At some point it’s all diminishing returns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nugget

Nov 3, 2018
Notice how only the very outer teeth are touching the tree. It need more contact ponts to secure a platform of this size. I believe the cam opening is too narrow and the teeth are too aggressive. Think the only fix is to open up the cam opening by filing down some of the outer teeth and rounding off the inner ones. I just don't want to be the fist to give it a go on a $300 platform.

Nugget

Nov 3, 2018
Won't fix the flexing with the platform, however, that doesn't bother me. My issue with the post is the off center bolts. Also, the bushing on one side between post and platform is really hogged up compared to the other. I'm thinking the bolt holes are off there as well. Hopefully a new post corrects that.
I see a lot of talk about a new post but has anyone been contacted?

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
Sep 11, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
I see a lot of talk about a new post but has anyone been contacted?
Yes I sent an email & complained about the quality of the stock bolt & Andre called me back a few days later & we discussed returning vs. options & put my name on the list to recv a new (machined) post when available, they were still sourcing options.

Mike32

Jul 25, 2019
Central PA
Glad to see they're taking care of you guys. This is encouraging to hear. I'm considering going ahead and ordering one.

okccj

Oct 11, 2016
I have to assume they had a good reason to alter the final design of the platform from the prototype, but you can see from these screenshots that the teeth and leveling adjustment were quite different on the prototype. The teeth were much less aggressive.

Attachments

• leveling.png
    leveling.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • teeth.png
    teeth.png
    799.4 KB · Views: 30