• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Machines are coming with better noses than deer!

Bwhana

SH Member
I can see it now, who needs night vision or thermals you can own a handheld "nose" that is better than a deer's, and detect THEM from downwind!

I can see it now, who needs night vision or thermals you can own a handheld "nose" that is better than a deer's, and detect THEM from downwind!

Very interesting.
Thanks for posting the link.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

To be fair, I can't believe that our (and other, not so......nice) governments haven't really delved into this 50+ years ago. Then again, who says they haven't......

Two key items, among others, in this caught my eye for hunting purposes.

First was more proof that no human odor is detected in urine. Forget the pee bottles and let it RIP in the woods! I have believed this for many years, but the article confirms it. I checked a trail cam on a primary scrape yesterday and peed in it as I have since I created it with a grapevine last spring. Not a single deer has ever shown any negative reaction to my own markings.

The second fact was the importance of body hair to scent. I have most beat with a shaved head already, but if you read this article and others, a full blown manscaping like a body builder and eliminating all hair can only help with scent reduction efforts, if you are willing to commit. That means no more beards, buckstaches, squirrelly old man eyebrows, chest rugs, and gorilla backs - you know who you are!

Last edited:
Two key items, among others, in this caught my eye for hunting purposes.

First was more proof that no human odor is detected in urine. Forget the pee bottles and let it RIP in the woods! I have believed this for many years, but the article confirms it. I checked a trail cam on a primary scrape yesterday and peed in it as I have since I created it with a grapevine last spring. Not a single deer has ever shown any negative reaction to my own markings.

The second fact was the importance of body hair to scent. I have most beat with a shaved head already, but if you read this article and others, a full blown manscaping like a body builder and eliminating all hair can only help with scent reduction efforts, if you are willing to commit. That means no more beards, buckstaches, squirrelly old man eyebrows, hest rugs, and gorilla backs - you know who you are!

The boat test blew my mind. The human subject rode a boat down a lake and never touched shore, yet the dogs could detect, not only the human odor, the dogs could also detect which direction the human in the boat traveled. I've heard about dogs knowing which way a human or animal traveled due to ground disturbance but the fact they can tell which way a guy in a boat traveled was amazing.

Back