• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Made a few youth saddles

sdoyle1

133ffa55e0e5a4570643a06854ce67af.jpg
9bd1f9a0b8d5400dd70be142e9e3488c.jpg
7c81d0a52888d27986678be01ed51e9e.jpg
995fbdbe54286c942ca6dc1b6af3b2af.jpg

Made a pattern for my daughters saddle. Had a few other people interested so made a couple more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks good, I’m gonna knock one out for my son soon

Spencer

Same here I am following this thread! Wish I could sew lol

Throw some pics on when you’re done. I’d like to see it.

283cc56f46a0e56fb5193b9c0c1b9d70.jpg

This is one I just did. Kids one will be the same just smaller. Very similar to your design, I use the football kinda shape, and this is the first one I did that brought the linesman loop webbing down from the top to the bottom. Think I’ll like it, this one is for my buddy @Weldabeast

Spencer

283cc56f46a0e56fb5193b9c0c1b9d70.jpg

This is one I just did. Kids one will be the same just smaller. Very similar to your design, I use the football kinda shape, and this is the first one I did that brought the linesman loop webbing down from the top to the bottom. Think I’ll like it, this one is for my buddy @Weldabeast

Spencer

Looks good. If you add another piece of heavy 1” webbing inside the linemans loops it will stiffen them up a good bit and should make them a lot easier to hook into. This will be my first year saddle hunting so I’m no expert but I also just sew the lower portion of linemans loops webbing to the saddle. I do no molle loops down there as I don’t see a reason I’d want molle on the bottom of the saddle. There very well could be a reason to have it there but I’m not sure why. This saves a good bit of time over doing all the bar tacks required for it.
What machine are you using for sewing this?

Looks good. If you add another piece of heavy 1” webbing inside the linemans loops it will stiffen them up a good bit and should make them a lot easier to hook into. This will be my first year saddle hunting so I’m no expert but I also just sew the lower portion of linemans loops webbing to the saddle. I do no molle loops down there as I don’t see a reason I’d want molle on the bottom of the saddle. There very well could be a reason to have it there but I’m not sure why. This saves a good bit of time over doing all the bar tacks required for it.
What machine are you using for sewing this?

It’s a 241-11 singer, put a servo motor on it.

Yes I have done the reinforced webbing to make it stiff, I didn’t think it be needed with this design since the loop stays open, but can always add later if needed. And yeah, I only use two molle loops myself, but figure a couple extra can’t hurt

Here’s another I just did with the old style linesman connection only on top, these loops are doubled.
6b51bece9d1b9439f19a761f2f80e801.jpg

3b14f6a51677dd593d0de67fcbe8cbac.jpg

Spencer

It’s a 241-11 singer, put a servo motor on it.

Yes I have done the reinforced webbing to make it stiff, I didn’t think it be needed with this design since the loop stays open, but can always add later if needed. And yeah, I only use two molle loops myself, but figure a couple extra can’t hurt

Here’s another I just did with the old style linesman connection only on top, these loops are doubled.
6b51bece9d1b9439f19a761f2f80e801.jpg

3b14f6a51677dd593d0de67fcbe8cbac.jpg

Spencer

I did that style linemans on my kestrel clone I made. I enjoy the whole process of making them except the bar tacks for the molle so I tend to go with the minimalist approach on that. Lol

Where are you sourcing the material?

I'm needing at least 2 saddles and don't have the extra money to spend. I'm liking the idea of making my own. I have access to a sewing machine.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Where are you sourcing the material?

I'm needing at least 2 saddles and don't have the extra money to spend. I'm liking the idea of making my own. I have access to a sewing machine.

I got two rolls of the seatbelt webbing from a buddy. 1” webbing from Eastern Woods Outdoors and mesh from amazon and eBay. Buckles from rockywoods. Don’t know what sewing machine you have access too but it may not work. You’ll need to use a decent strength polyester thread. Some guys are pulling it off with domestic machines and some are ruining them in the process.

I got two rolls of the seatbelt webbing from a buddy. 1” webbing from Eastern Woods Outdoors and mesh from amazon and eBay. Buckles from rockywoods. Don’t know what sewing machine you have access too but it may not work. You’ll need to use a decent strength polyester thread. Some guys are pulling it off with domestic machines and some are ruining them in the process.

I appreciate the info. I was wondering about the need machine strength also. Thanks

I appreciate the info. I was wondering about the need machine strength also. Thanks

Most claim you need an all metal older machine. I have a couple of those but actually got an industrial machine before I started to build some saddles so I’ve never tried it.

I’d say the machine should be capable of using an 18 needle with #69 thread at a minimum. Mine can do 21 needle with 92 thread so that’s what I use

Spencer

I’d say the machine should be capable of using an 18 needle with #69 thread at a minimum. Mine can do 21 needle with 92 thread so that’s what I use

Spencer
That definitely helps. I will check and see what it's capable of.

That definitely helps. I will check and see what it's capable of.

It’s ability to push through multiple layers, and for all the layers to fit under the foot is the true test. I made a few saddles with a singer 99k with that 69 thread, it worked but had to be more creative since it wouldn’t easily push through multiple layers, so I found the 241 for a good deal, motor was too fast for me so added the servo motor so I could control it easily. There are much nicer machines, walking foot, reverse, etc that makes it easier but this one is a step up from my old one.

Have fun down the rabbit hole, lol

Spencer

Back