• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Made my climbing sticks into no bulk

Rfd3218

So I haven’t seen a thread or video on this yet but I’m sure Im not the first person to come up with this idea. I took my full-size lone wolf sticks and cut them down to mini-sticks and then took out the stopper bolt that holds the step parallel and replaced it with a quick pin which allows me to turn the stand-offs in-line with the step making the profile of the stick extremely narrow and this allows me to fit all 4 perfectly into my sitka pack.
599e259922966e50ae5d906999e04424.jpg
ba347293dffd88d675dc2f0eb674c413.jpg
8673944cb59bbb9e68ed49dc8ee254b2.jpg
29270055e75d4df4bdd111e53d3cef35.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool mod! One question i have is what happens if your pin backs out a little and step rests on smaller pin shank? Could be potential issue coming down.

I thought that too but once you step on the step it keeps the pin from moving; it almost acts like it “seats” the head of the pin at the grove of the step.

I know it might take a minute extra to put all your pins in at the base of the tree, but this is just silly genius in my mind! Wonder if you could find a shorter pin thank would give it more of a snug fit when you put it in and get the spring clip locked on... this is definitely gonna be considered for myself!

O yea I’m sure if you looked around you could find a shorter pin and it would definitely make more snug fit

I’ll measure my sticks and measure my pack, if it’ll fit, I’ll definitely be doing something like this!

I’m not sure on weight I haven’t weighed them yet but I can weigh them tomorrow and see when I get off work; my ultimate goal was better packability and less bulk and whatever weight I lost was just bonus

So I haven’t seen a thread or video on this yet but I’m sure Im not the first person to come up with this idea. I took my full-size lone wolf sticks and cut them down to mini-sticks and then took out the stopper bolt that holds the step parallel and replaced it with a quick pin which allows me to turn the stand-offs in-line with the step making the profile of the stick extremely narrow and this allows me to fit all 4 perfectly into my sitka pack.
599e259922966e50ae5d906999e04424.jpg
ba347293dffd88d675dc2f0eb674c413.jpg
8673944cb59bbb9e68ed49dc8ee254b2.jpg
29270055e75d4df4bdd111e53d3cef35.jpg

Just curious if you could just pop off the end caps and put shorter Allen head bolts with nyloc nuts and eliminate the pins all together. Unless it’s a warm and fuzzy feeling have a pin all the way through. Just thinking of the fiddle factor is all...

Just curious if you could just pop off the end caps and put shorter Allen head bolts with nyloc nuts and eliminate the pins all together. Unless it’s a warm and fuzzy feeling have a pin all the way through. Just thinking of the fiddle factor is all...

I’m thinking the hole through the tubing would wear quickly into an oval. It happens to some extent over years of use even with the bolts going all the way through.

Nice- i like that style of flipping the offset. Im working on a DIY mini set that will lay flat like yours. Packability is just as/ if not more important than weight.

Back