• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Madrock/RP1/Oplux

Markeje

I want to simplify my, LB, tether and rappel rope to all be the same.

I've seen conflicting reports that an MD Lifeguard and RP1 holds fine on the Oplux 8mm.
Can anyone confirm this? (I know it's out of spec).

I have had no issues. But yes it’s out of spec so at your own risk. I do use an autoblock with mine

The Safeguard is the one want. It’s the springless lifeguard and is designed for rescue and rigging work and will hold better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks fellas. So I have what I thought was a spring less lifeguard, but not sure. Its red. Opens and closes without any spring?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Where or what is the spring?
They make a lifeguard w/o the spring, which what I got but it's red.

So what's the difference between a safeguard w/o the spring and a lifeguard w/o spring?

Sorry if these are obvious questions.

I believe they came out with the Lifeguard first. People asked for a spring-less and we have a Safeguard now. I've held both in my hands and besides the color I didn't see any differences. The springs internal I think...
I have not seen a spring-less red Lifeguard, I haven't really looked for one either.
Hopefully someone may be more helpful with that info

ok so I just tested it out and it doesn't auto-lock on 9mm cord if you let go of the line. It certainly works, but you must keep the line pulled down to brake. Bummer.

I use the life guard with oplux. No issues. Back it up with a Beal Jammie.

ok so I just tested it out and it doesn't auto-lock on 9mm cord if you let go of the line. It certainly works, but you must keep the line pulled down to brake. Bummer.

Sounds to me like you got a spring in there. I can hang from my Safeguard all day without a hand.
Back it up like was mentioned, probably should with either anyways. Full disclosure I don't back mine up, I use it during my ascend, then zip down with it at closing time. I maybe spend a total of 5 minutes a hunt with it but the last 15 seconds are a blast

Thanks guys. I'm going to part ways with it since I won't be rappelling until next season. The guy who sold it to me was wrong and advertised it wrong. It's on me for not knowing the difference.
I'll get a safeguard when the time comes. I think I'll be more comfortable with it! :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I made the same mistake. Got a black one now
I sold mine on this site but made sure I explained what he was getting. Sorry to hear that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ya the legit safeguard is awesome. It makes removing my hand climber at 30ft fun.

The spring is internal to the cam if I understand the way it works. It’s nothing to do with opening and closing it. That’s why it’s hard to tell just looking at it if you don’t know the colours.

Back