• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Madrock safe guard

Jeff25

Looking to get into SRT and was just wonder exactly how does the madrock safeguard work? Is it essentially an ascender that you can control your descent with? So will it lock in place while you were packing up your platform? Or would I still need to use an atc with auto block to rappel down

I will probably try one sticking it for a while then rappelling down with an ATC and auto block. But would like to add SRT at some point so I will need a hand ascender And madrock safeguard. Just curious how it actually works

Looking to get into SRT and was just wonder exactly how does the madrock safeguard work? Is it essentially an ascender that you can control your descent with? So will it lock in place while you were packing up your platform? Or would I still need to use an atc with auto block to rappel down
Boynebowhunter@ has a great video on this. Joe performed an amazing demonstration at the Michigan demo day several weeks ago

Been curious myself how guys ascend when they don't use a safeguard or grigri to repel.

How would a safeguard compare to a ropeman as a Fall arrest device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Jamie Cline’s YouTube channel for a very intuitive explanation.

The Madrock Safeguard is not an ascender it’s a belay device. Jamie’s video “how to SRT climb with saddle hunting” explains the system that a lot of guys on here use. I personally use an ascender and Safeguard for the ascent but rappel with an ATC. There are many options.

Last edited:
The lifeguard is a belay device. It springs open so you can feed line for belay. Hence the concern when SRT if you accidentally remove your weight from the climbing line it will spring open. It seems like arborists have been using the gri gri (which is essentially the same thing) to SRT, but there is a slight chance you could fall a bit before it catches. If you stop at any point and intend to take your hand off the tail end of rope with a lifeguard or gri gri, it would probably be smart to also tie in.

The safeguard is actually intended to be used as we use it. You can use to ascend SRT and rappel down. Without the spring the lifeguard has it locked up instantly for me.

It is not the smoothest rappel, but I do rappel with mine. I personally don’t see the need to carry extra stuff.

I feel comfortable leaving the safeguard without a back up tie off to set and remove my platform. But I would would recommend everybody research madrocks user instructions and make that decision on your own.

I’ve thought about keeping an atc handy as a back up in case I drop the safeguard. But even though I switch to a separate tether the safeguard never leaves my climbing line till I’m back on the ground. I can emergency rappel with a munters hitch if needed. Or inchworm down with some prussics from my other lines.

Would it be safe to hang from the safeguard on the tether instead of a ropeman

Would it be safe to hang from the safeguard on the tether instead of a ropeman

I can’t answer that but just be aware that Madrock doesn’t recommend hands free use. If you’re determined to use a mechanical device on your tether just back it up with a Prusik.

Just don't want the waters to get to muddy, there's a difference between a Lifeguard and the Safeguard. Safeguard is springless

Can you explain how the two are used differently? I have no clue about climbing hardware What does a 'springless' do that a 'spring'd' doesn't? And vice versa?

DESCRIPTION
Very similar to Mad Rock's Lifeguard, it has a very subtle but important difference. The Safegaurd (also referred to as the Lifegaurd Black Edition) has a springless design (everything is the same except the spring is removed). The springless design makes it more ideal for route setters, camera operators, arborists, riggers, rope access, and other specalty uses. It will not work well for lead climbing (the red Lifeguard is designed for that).

Normally, there is a spring that engages to keep the cam open (not shut on the rope), so it is easy to pay out slack to the lead climber. In this traditional sense, it is easy to move the rope in and out without resistance. Without this spring, the cam is always on, braking the rope. So any force from the climberes side of the rope, will keep the climber held at all times.

Lowering will be the same, you'll still use the handle and override the cam

From Madrock website.
"Springless Lifeguard
By constructing the Lifeguard without the internal spring, the Safeguard is a great tool for rescue and rigging work. It will lock onto the rope with very little force giving you the confidence that once the position of the rope is set the device will not creep or slide.
For rescue / rigging use: 8.1mm to 11mm rope diameter
For climbing use: 8.9mm to 11mm rope diameter
Hot Forged Aluminum and Stainless Steel construction
Individually tested
Weight: 154g"

For holding position and lowering it can be used with 8.1mm rope (probably +/- 0.1mm, although a guess). I think Sterling Oplux 8mm rescue cord may be the reason for the variation from 8.9mm.
This is the same way we use it.

This belay device does not operate like most auto-brake assist devices, and is not meant for lead climbing. It is for rigging and other types of rope access projects.

The Safegaurd (aka Lifeguard Black Edition) does not have a camming spring. Without this spring, the cam is always on, braking the rope. So any minute force from the climberes side of the rope, will keep the climber held at all times.

Is the safeguard safer than a ropeman for use on a tether is another good question. I havent been able to find what it is rated for. It does not have teeth like a ropeman so I would think there wouldnt be an issue with de-sheathing of rope during a fall.

Back