• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Madrock Safegaurd and Oplux rope?

Buckhorn70

SH Member
I’m sure this has been covered but I want my own thread dedicated to the topic. Lol

Who is using Oplux with the Safeguard?
I realize it’s not rated correctly. Anyone had any negative results?

Anyone backing the Safeguard up on this rope
With an Auto-block when rapelleing?

I use a safeguard on my Oplux, and have not had any issues. I back the safeguard up at height, with both a prusik and a quick stopper knot, but don't back up when rappelling or climbing.

Not one problem with safeguard and Oplux. For backup at height, I leave handled ascender attached (climb SRT) and hook it to bridge. I also do not backup when rappelling or climbing.

I too use it for ascending the rope with a single stick method and my long line. At hunting height, I do back it up with a distel hitch and that's just for piece of mind.

I will be using it to ascend with single stick method. Will back it up at hunting height but not for rappelling down. I do recommend using an autoblock for rappelling though - I choose not to and accept the risks.

I will be using it to ascend with single stick method. Will back it up at hunting height but not for rappelling down. I do recommend using an autoblock for rappelling though - I choose not to and accept the risks.

I use an auto block for rappelling but it not likely necessary with a safeguard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I use a madrock with oplux and 5/16” ultra tech (which is smaller than oplux). Never had an issue. However I always have an auto block clipped on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still use my Safeguard with Oplux, but I had one issue while one-sticking. I looked down and noticed the rope had come out of the "guide". I now watch it like a hawk. Hopefully, the crappy pictures below will show you what I mean. The first pic is how the rope should look, the second is as I saw it out of the "guide".
5f41cb0dd3093ea0df8c404202089fd7.jpg
de16ae37d9586c59464f883790623896.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I still use my Safeguard with Oplux, but I had one issue while one-sticking. I looked down and noticed the rope had come out of the "guide". I now watch it like a hawk. Hopefully, the crappy pictures below will show you what I mean. The first pic is how the rope should look, the second is as I saw it out of the "guide".

I’ve had this happen a time or 2 one sticking as well

Sent from parts unknown

Do you think this happened because the smaller diameter of rope or just part of the safeguard? I’m looking at getting everything to rappell/ one stick and trying to decide 9mm vs 8mm.

Do you think this happened because the smaller diameter of rope or just part of the safeguard? I’m looking at getting everything to rappell/ one stick and trying to decide 9mm vs 8mm.

Oplux has slightly better packability, but I'm currently using 9mm Canyon C-IV from @DanO and I really like it. 35' will pack into a water bottle carrier, from @DanO also, without an issue.

I tried that with my Beal 8mm rope and it does come out but seems to lock up fine anyway. The locking cam is at the opposite end. I never had it happen climbing SRT.

I believe the problem is a combination of rope size and slack developed during one- sticking.

Back