• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Madrock trouble

Hhicks18

Hi all. I received a madrock safeguard today. I’m using Yale cordage blaze 11mm rope. The madrock is brand new.

When under load it is EXTREMELY hard to break. With my gri gri I slowly let tension out and it’s smooth. This I feel like I’m yanking on the handle and the stops are very sudden.

Odds I’m doing something wrong? Does this thing just prefer smaller rope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: tried the same rope with the gri gri and it performed flawlessly

Update 2: it seems to only occur when have all my weight in the saddle or when it is under “full load”. Any suggestions? I’m sure this is user error

How are you using your brake hand? I find it's function very smooth but it does require tension on the standing end.

Neither device is means to be hands free. Even with the Grigri, holding the descent side of the rope helps

How are you using your brake hand? I find it's function very smooth but it does require tension on the standing end.

Ok so I potentially found the issue. You really don’t need to have the tag end of the rope tight at you hip it seems. I guess I was holding the rope at my hit to tight.

Neither device is means to be hands free. Even with the Grigri, holding the descent side of the rope helps

Yeah I think that’s the problem. Im holding the descent side too tight I guess?

Ok so I potentially found the issue. You really don’t need to have the tag end of the rope tight at you hip it seems. I guess I was holding the rope at my hit to tight.

You still want your hand position by your hip as if you're rappelling on an 8-plate but your control comes from your lever hand. This'll allow you to start descending with less pressure on the lever which also translates to smoother stopping.

Here is what I did to rappel smoothly with large diameter ropes and the Safeguard. I normally use 9.0mm rope.

Back