• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Magnus Broadhead Recommendations

CRogers

Anyone on here shoot Magnus Broadheads? Looking for some feedback on them. I've narrowed it down to 3.
1) Stinger (Still trying to decide between original or stinger buzz cut)
2) Snuffer SS
3) Black Hornet
I've read and done lots of research on Magnus heads over the last couple of months and want to give them a try this year. Which ones do you have experience with and would you recommend?

I only have experience with the original Stinger. If I remember right, I didn't make a great shot (my fault, not the broadhead). I vaguely remember hearing better things about the buzz cut, possibly. Probably not much help, but whatever head you shoot...put it in the kill zone and you'll likely have yourself a dead deer.

I’ve run the Stinger Buzzcut when I have a fixed blade in the quiver (always at least 1 of my 4 arrows, plus 0-3 mechanicals). Love the way they fly out of my setup.

Oh yeah. I hate the big broadhead debate. Everyone wants to know what the best is and the answer to that question is there's not one. People make mistakes and bad shots because we're human. They let their egos get in the way and want to blame equipment. Anything that's put in the kill zone is a good head. Me personally I shoot 60# 29.5" draw and always go plenty heavy on my arrows. I'm really just trying to get back to something that is gonna be forgiving on bone. That way if I did hit some shoulder or have an angle where it's a hard quartering away shot I'm still gonna get a pass thru.

Reactions: NDH
I’ve run the Stinger Buzzcut when I have a fixed blade in the quiver (always at least 1 of my 4 arrows, plus 0-3 mechanicals). Love the way they fly out of my setup.
I like the way they look. Look like they get great penetration

Reactions: NDH
I like the way they look. Look like they get great penetration

They do get real good penetration. If I were taking longer shots and more worried about noise or string jumping I may run the solid Stingers, but never had an issue in the terrain I hunt.

I'm using the 4 blade black hornet right now. I was using 4 blade stingers prior. They both fly well. The black hornet is a little tougher IMHO. I've had the tip curl on the stingers.
I've also shot the snuffer as well which flies great. However I've never taken that brodhead hunting. It just doesn't look very durable. I think I may try the Montec this year.

I like cut on contact fixed blade heads.

They do get real good penetration. If I were taking longer shots and more worried about noise or string jumping I may run the solid Stingers, but never had an issue in the terrain I hunt.
Same here, not really worried about shooting long distances. It's very rare I get the opportunity to shoot further than 40 yds if that. It's usually pretty thick where I'm at.

I'm using the 4 blade black hornet right now. I was using 4 blade stingers prior. They both fly well. The black hornet is a little tougher IMHO. I've had the tip curl on the stingers.
I've also shot the snuffer as well which flies great. However I've never taken that brodhead hunting. It just doesn't look very durable. I think I may try the Montec this year.

I like cut on contact fixed blade heads.
I like a cut on contact as well! How did the 4 blade fly? I've normally always stuck with a 3 blade with a fixed blade. I've heard several folks say a 4 blade is hard to tune so that always scared me away from them

The four blades fly fine for me. The Stingers specifically have two small bleeder vanes so the extra two blades aren’t as extreme as some broadheads. As with any fixed blade, your bow needs to be tuned up for them to fly like field points.

I shot the buzzcuts for years. both the 2 blade and the 4 blade. i had a bow once that was a bi**h to tune. broadheads were all over the place coming out of it, but my 2 blade buzzcuts flew true. as far as bone goes, they are awesome on bone. i once shot a doe quartering towards me, and the broadhead buried so deep in her hip bone that i couldn't get it out. i did experience the tip curling that preban man mentioned. HOWEVER, they have the best warranty of all time. here it is: if you would like one replaced, you get it replaced. that's it. no questions. the one that i couldn't get out of the hip bone, i broke it to bits trying to pry it loose. i sent them part of a ferrule and a snapped off blade segment. i got a new broadhead. you really can't beat how they stand behind the customer. that is rare these days. for that reason alone, they are worth your money.

I used them for years when Mike owned them and never had a problem with any magnus broadhead. I now shoot Simmons Sharks.

I have several yellow packs of Magnus heads from the “Mike” days. I have a couple dozen opened up that I’ve been using for years. Easy to get razor sharp with a bastard file and sandpaper.

I've killed a lot of deer with the stingers and stinger buzzcuts with the bleeder blades. I would strongly recommend either.

I like a cut on contact as well! How did the 4 blade fly? I've normally always stuck with a 3 blade with a fixed blade. I've heard several folks say a 4 blade is hard to tune so that always scared me away from them

They've been fine for me.

I've shot several pigs and a couple of deer with the 4 bladed stingers. 125 grains with a 55grain (I think) insert and a heavy arrow make for a rainbow trajectory, but they thump pigs.

Back