• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Maine Black Bear, 2 for 2

HuntNorthEast

Well guys here it is, didn't shoot that 500lb one i was after but here is mine on the left, shot with my "baby arrows" as some of you put it. He went 40 yards, heart shot, dead. My cousin Matt took his first one with a heart and head shot by rifle which is the one on the right. Hell of an opening day!20200831_220128.jpg20200831_220144.jpg

Congrats on the bears. Wish Florida would let us hunt em again. We’re over run in many places but they state says their isn’t any. Had a 2 day season a few years ago with the state setting an unannounced quota.... it was filled the 1st day. You had to call after the first day to a hotline to see if Hunting was allowed the second day. It wasn’t. Awesome you and your buddy both got to get one!

Thanks guys! @Bowmanmike @Flgunner Bear regulations are always a touchy subject in every state for sure. I couldn't have asked for a better opener. I just wish I got it on film!
Well guys here it is, didn't shoot that 500lb one i was after but here is mine on the left, shot with my "baby arrows" as some of you put it. He went 40 yards, heart shot, dead. My cousin Matt took his first one with a heart and head shot by rifle which is the one on the right. Hell of an opening day!View attachment 33417View attachment 33418
Congrats on the 2 nice bruins. Great start to your season.

Congrats @HuntNorthEast ! Seems like you'll get plenty of production opportunities once you get that self filming operation in order! Good luck on the rest of your season.
Thanks! I would've got it on film if there was some background noice to hide the click sound the cam makes but it was quiet and he was already very weary so I didn't risk checking to see if it was recording.

Awesome work!!! Can you bait in Maine? We have bear problem on one of our properties and season doesn't open until October 1st. Did you get these with a nuisance permit?

Awesome work!!! Can you bait in Maine? We have bear problem on one of our properties and season doesn't open until October 1st. Did you get these with a nuisance permit?
Over bait! We can bait starting 30 days prior to season. So I've had bears feeding for 4 weeks, got em on a schedule. Opening day just happened to be the hardest cold front of the week and we made it happen!

Congrats on the bruins!! Alway nice to start of the season on a positive note!! Can’t wait to start flinging arrows here!!

Congrats on the bears!! Do you eat the meat and what different ways do you put it up(burger, sausage, roasts, etc.)??

Congrats on the bears!! Do you eat the meat and what different ways do you put it up(burger, sausage, roasts, etc.)??
Yes, I eat everything that I harvest (besides coyotes). I prefer to do the steaks in a pressure cooker, chunked, with red potatoes, onion, garlic, roasted tomato and carrots. Once they are done it is jarred and stored for later consumption. As for grind, spicy bear jerky is great, also I do sausage and meatballs. Bear meatballs compliment pasta well as long as it's made with red sauce! Not so much on the straight cut burg though, I trim my bear LEAN and don't prefer to cut it with pork much, just enough to make meatballs stick.

Yes, I eat everything that I harvest (besides coyotes). I prefer to do the steaks in a pressure cooker, chunked, with red potatoes, onion, garlic, roasted tomato and carrots. Once they are done it is jarred and stored for later consumption. As for grind, spicy bear jerky is great, also I do sausage and meatballs. Bear meatballs compliment pasta well as long as it's made with red sauce! Not so much on the straight cut burg though, I trim my bear LEAN and don't prefer to cut it with pork much, just enough to make meatballs stick.
Hey thanks for the ideas......I've watched several videos on how to prepare bear meat on youtube. I may have an opportunity in Arkansas. They have a bear season in Arkansas on a quota system and I've been invited to camp and hunt north of Hot Springs on national forest land. It's during deer season also so if opportunity knocks I may just have to open the door.

Back