• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Make my sticks pack flat.

trailblazer75

I'm running some APIs that I cut to 24". I dig them, but they don't pack well. I'm considering somehow finding a way to secure the nut to the back of the standoffs and running a longer bolt through the stick with some sort of knob or wing nut that I can tighten or loosen in order to fold the standoff flat and let the step come off the groove and pivot to go in line with the post.

How would you secure the nut on the inside of the standoff to keep it from free spinning?

Anyone got a source for those black knobs I've seen some guys running?

I am still working on my sticks. What I did was replace my single steps with 2x steps. Your bracket will then swing freely. I am using magnets (someone posted the idea) to hold them together.

I like your idea though....bold head on the inside and a threaded knob on the outside to rotate your steps. Imo you want your standoffs to swing that way you can side stack.

A quick search and i found these knobs. I forget what size the bolts are but i am sure you can find the right size somewhere.
54d2784fd48b524704d2601135a8fcd1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be opposed to the bolt head going in from the stand off side and then having a knob like that on the side with the steps. I'm really just spitballing.

My only concern with that is the bolt would need to be so long that it may contact the tree on smaller trees between the standoffs. Any hardware store should sell the plastic knobs, just match them up with grade 8 bolts.

My only concern with that is the bolt would need to be so long that it may contact the tree on smaller trees between the standoffs. Any hardware store should sell the plastic knobs, just match them up with grade 8 bolts.

My thoughts are that you'd just have the bolt head in the standoff. That way and slop or extra length is on the stick front, where the knob is, that I'd have to climb around anyway.

My thoughts are that you'd just have the bolt head in the standoff. That way and slop or extra length is on the stick front, where the knob is, that I'd have to climb around anyway.
Makes sense, I seem to get my bridge hooked on anything sticking out like that!

Makes sense, I seem to get my bridge hooked on anything sticking out like that!

On my climb, when I'm not one sticking, I loop my bridge into the belt of my saddle. Cause I've had it get caught on sticks without a big ole knob. Lol. You're right, though, that would be a PITA for climbing.

If going that way you could just go to a larger bolt and cut threads in the standoff to keep the bolt in place.

Heres a thought. I put helicoils in my standoffs already to make them stack flatter. Technically i wouldnt even need a knob on the front. I just need to grind off the tabs on the standoffs so i can spin them loose.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Heres a thought. I put helicoils in my standoffs already to make them stack flatter. Technically i wouldnt even need a knob on the front. I just need to grind off the tabs on the standoffs so i can spin them loose.

Show me what you mean??

There's a thought.... Tap the standoff
My only worry there would be that I'd be screwing steel bolts into an aluminum standoff. Could you countersink the nut from a grade 8 bolt into the standoff? Like just integrate it? That seems safer to my layman butt than running the steel threads into aluminum.

My only worry there would be that I'd be screwing steel bolts into an aluminum standoff. Could you countersink the nut from a grade 8 bolt into the standoff? Like just integrate it? That seems safer to my layman butt than running the steel threads into aluminum.
These are the helicoils i ordered. They are stainless so technically im not running a steel bolt back and forth in aluminum
182a58de0ab454030529e0c43a193297.jpg

Back