• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Making my tree rope/prussic

WCork

So I bought some rope and a carabiner from EMS and I'm working on making my own tree rope setup with a prussic knot. Problem is....I bought 10' of 11mm rope for the tree strap and after tying a larger figure 8 knot to go around the tree and a smaller figure 8 knot for the bottom....I don't have enough rope adjustment when around a tree. I also bought 3' of 8mm rope to use as a prussic knot and after tying my prussic...I have a very small loop to attach the carabiner to.

Can I just tie a stopper knot onto the bottom of the tree rope? And is there any problem with having a small loop for my prussic (where the biner attaches)? Prussic still seems to cinch down tight when it needs to and is loose enough to adjust when not under tension. Moral of the story I guess, is buy more rope next time :x

What lengths do you recommend buying so I don't go through this again?

Had an EMS employee help me build 3 set ups using 11mm sterling 12' and 7mm around 45" for prusic,I used large and small figure 8 follow through.(MTSRUNNER).
Also purchased Petzl attaché .
The employee that helped me has also in the last month had 5 other bow hunters purchase rope and carabiners ,guess this rope thing is taking off using climbing rope.

Oh and when I tied my prussic I used the double fishermans knot. Are there any other knots I could use that would take less rope than the double fishermans knot but still safe to use?

That's what I used for knots,so I don't know any other knots that could be used.

Are you hunting very large trees?
Are you trying to wrap twice around the tree?
Are you using an AeroHunter saddle?

My Tree strap is barely over 6' long after the knots are tied (that is what NewTribe's are standard as well).
I tend to not be in trees that I can't reach my arms around when at hunting height.
I always have some length to spare and even have to shorten my Bridge after I am in position.

A lot of people just use a Stopper knot at the end of their tree strap.
I like having the extra measure of safety, but my Prusik or Blake's Hitch have never slipped at all.

You don't need a large loop coming from your prusik.
Just needs to stay tied and be big enough for your carabiner.

NewTribe uses 5' of accessory cord to make their Blake's Hitch.
I didn't use all of it on either of mine but it makes it easier to tie when you have a little extra to work with.

Thanks guys. I hunt average sized trees, nothing I couldn't get my arms around at hunting height. I'm only going to wrap my rope around the tree once and I'm hunting with a Trophyline Treesaddle. My carabiner fits into my prussic with a little room to spare, but that's with only 4 wraps on the prussic. Hopefully that will be fine. Worst case scenario is I have to order a longer rope to tie the prussic with.

My rope is the 11mm Sterling for the tree rope
and 8mm Sterling accessory cord for the prussic

As for other knots...I didn't know if a square knot would hold well enough to use with a prussic hitch or not. I'm a knot noob! Thanks again for all the help.

67elmustang said:
Had an EMS employee help me build 3 set ups using 11mm sterling 12' and 7mm around 45" for prusic,I used large and small figure 8 follow through.(MTSRUNNER).
Also purchased Petzl attaché .
The employee that helped me has also in the last month had 5 other bow hunters purchase rope and carabiners ,guess this rope thing is taking off using climbing rope.

I think these lengths would have been perfect.

WCork said:
As for other knots...I didn't know if a square knot would hold well enough to use with a prussic hitch or not. I'm a knot noob! Thanks again for all the help.

Don't do it.
It isn't that the knots need to 'hold'.
Double Fisherman's and Prusik loops distribute the load/stress.

As an example...I've seen guys use a simple Overhand Knot on a bight at the end of a Strap (making a loop) but an Overhand knot curves the rope more which puts more stress on a small space.
It won't come untied but it isn't as structurally sound.
That all matters more if you FALL and stress the rope more than just hanging but that is why the Fig 8 is commonly used.

The Fig 8 can also be untied pretty easily even after it has been loaded.

Hi Red
Maybe you'll want this on a separate thread.
Have you or anyone else tried making a Hybrid Rope/Strap setup?
I was thinking a shorter rope to be used mainly as just an anchor to the tree with a shorter TL style tree strap running through one end to give it the smooth adjustment people are looking for.
What does everyone think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justsomedude said:
WCork said:

Don't do it.
It isn't that the knots need to 'hold'.
Double Fisherman's and Prusik loops distribute the load/stress.

As an example...I've seen guys use a simple Overhand Knot on a bight at the end of a Strap (making a loop) but an Overhand knot curves the rope more which puts more stress on a small space.
It won't come untied but it isn't as structurally sound.
That all matters more if you FALL and stress the rope more than just hanging but that is why the Fig 8 is commonly used.

The Fig 8 can also be untied pretty easily even after it has been loaded.

Thanks. I'll stick with the double fishermans and the figure 8 knot. Going to test it out on a tree at ground level this weekend. If anyone is interested...I picked up a Black Diamond Screwgate carabiner that is super light weight and really nice. Fairly cheap too. I bought mine from EMS but I also found some on ebay for $10.95 shipped.

Hey guys,
Some food for thought. I seem to remember that if while Rick climbing we dropped a price of gear like a carabiner or ascender it was considered unsafe afterward. I'm not talking dropping it onto a soft surface like a carpet at home or perhaps a leafy forest floor, but onto something hard like a rock.
I don't remember if there was a height associated. I don't think these devices are tested after being damaged or even what the standards are. May be a good question next time one of us is in a climbing store.

Sorry. Rock climbing. If there is anyone here named Rick, I apologize!!!!

fawnzy said:
Hi Red
Maybe you'll want this on a separate thread.
Have you or anyone else tried making a Hybrid Rope/Strap setup?
I was thinking a shorter rope to be used mainly as just an anchor to the tree with a shorter TL style tree strap running through one end to give it the smooth adjustment people are looking for.
What does everyone think?

Interesting thought. You are talking about the hardware trophyline used as opposed to the blakes/prussic hitch right? I'll have to think that over. Interested to hear anyone else's thoughts.

I was thinking, and that's all I've had time to do. I'm stuck at work. Make a shorter version of the TL tree strap and loop it through one end of a shorter rope strap.
You should be able to attach at ground level and climb with it attached to the tree. Once up you would still have the easy adjustment of the strap.
I suppose if you keep a lineman a rope with you you could secure it at height and then loop your hybrid through its loop a second time to prevent any slipping then hook back up. ( one stick method).
With a standard climbing method you may still have a faster way to secure your hanging strap.
I have extra rope at home. I'll try some ground level trials this weekend.

justsomedude said:
Just a note...

You can buy Yale Bandit Rope in the camo color that NewTribe uses for the tree strap from http://www.wesspur.com for .83 a foot if you don't need the Blake's Hitch and Carabiner from NewTribe.

Nice find.

Back