• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mantis/Predator big man test run

SETXsportsman6

First time saddle user here.

Got my set up in the mail today. Ordered 11/15.

Only had about 15 minutes to play with it prior to having to leave for work (shift worker)

First impression:
Surprised with the overall weight of everything in the box (mantis, predator, two sys haulers, hys strap, s biners, and hero clip, caribiners, linemans rope, and tether.) Very light in comparison to a XOP Maximus clamp on.

Comfort: Take this with a grain of salt since obviously I was only in it for 15 minutes. First thing I noticed was the lower leg strap attachments weren't going to ever work for me since I have huge thighs and every step the leg straps would fall and become uncomfortable. Put the straps on the belt loops and they were very comfortable at that point. Had a little hip pinch at first (nothing major) but noticed the top of my saddle was about belt level, moved my saddle down on my butt and no more issues with that. I did find that when swinging around the tree my body tends to take me further than what I'm looking to go, but I'm sure that will change as I get more proficient at learning to control my movement's. Could've also been cause of a lean on the tree or something else. I was on a basketball sized tree, and found that both leaning and sitting were both comfortable.I could probably see myself preferring to switch back and forth as needed to achieve comfort throughout the hunt. I played with tether height a little and found that about forehead level I could essentially take a 2 o'clock shot from the strong side. I went through a few different shot scenarios; drop shot, weak side, and believe that with practice they could all be easily executed.

Predator platform:
This thing is fantastic. I expected quite a bit of flex in the platform when I stepped on but was surprised it was nothing noticeable (my XOP lock on flexed bad and always made me nervous) Don't think I've ever seen a platform lock in as tight. I cammed it over by hand at first and put some side pressure on it and it eventually worked a little loose, so I stepped on the post and toe hooked it and at that point it felt like it was concrete. I will test that exact same scenario multiple times before I go to height. I'm a big boy 6'4 320 (working on shedding weight) and want to be certain it's big boy approved before putting myself at height with it.

I became a little skeptical of my choice of the mantis after doing a bunch of reading about the kestrel flex working better for big guys. After my 15 minute test run today I became more optimistic about it. As I stated, this was a quick test run before going to work just because I was so damn excited I couldn't stand to go work 12 hrs without trying it first. But I'm excited to have it and ready to take the plunge head first into saddle hunting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Great review and first thoughts. Sounds like it’s going to work well for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone point me to thread that says the Flex is better for big guys?

I too have a Mantis XL and wondered about getting a Predator platform. Im the same as OP but only an inch taller. I have noticed hip pinch in mine, but I'm still experiementing. Next is bridge length.

I too have a Mantis XL and wondered about getting a Predator platform. Im the same as OP but only an inch taller. I have noticed hip pinch in mine, but I'm still experiementing. Next is bridge length.
I wish I knew where the post but unfortunately don't. That's my next goal, I'm think I'm going to make a whoopie sling, and then once I find my length, do an oplux fixed bridge.

Update on the saddle set up.

Predator platform: still rock solid. Toe hook it in and it's not going anywhere. Definitely the best thing about the whole set up IMO.

Mantis: not the most comfortable, but you can definitely tell it's well built. Done lots of adjusting to try to get it right for me and I think the best method is to take the bottom of the saddle and pull it down as tight as I can and sit back in it. That seems to give me the most comfort. Tether height set at about Adams apple height seems to give me the most stability moving around the tree, as well as the most comfort overall. It seems to be growing on me as this is my 3rd and longest set (about an hour) at ground level in my backyard.

Hys strap: awesome idea. Whoever thought of that should be given an award.

Tether and lineman's belt:
Heavy, bulky, but solid. In hind sight I wish Id of went with oplux rather than the tethrd set up but I fell into the ropeman hype so opted for the bigger ropes.

Ropeman: not a fan. Atleast on the tether. Haven't tried it on the lineman's belt. It seems to make noise every time I try to adjust with a little weight on it, which I am a large lad so I feel it's pain but IMO that takes away from the "one handed operation" selling point that got me. Probably will end up selling it or just sticking it in my safe for the future incase I give it another go.

Arcteryx knee pads: not a fan. If you're solely going for less bulk, less weight they're perfect. But for me knee comfort is probably one thing I don't want to budge on so they aren't for me. They serve their purpose but are far from being comfortable. I'm going to try them with a strap ran through them to allow the strap to hold my weight against the tree rather than my legs and see if that helps.

All in all: I really enjoy sitting in the saddle. I believe this will probably be my go to method of hunting with maybe an occasional preset lock on or climber sit from time to time. Time will tell but I am overall very excited about it. Little tweaking of the system here and there to perfect it for me and I do believe I'll be in love with it. Hope this might help any of you big fellas out there. Cross your fingers that tethrd drops a pleated seat saddle in the coming year. I think that addition to the mantis would make it perfect.

I was wondering how the platform did with bigger fellas. Video i found says it failed at 1200# but the website has it rated at 300# max capcity so was shying away from it. Maybe i will do some more research on it.

I have a Kestrel Flex and love the comfort haven't hunted yet just practice at ground level. After doing research and guys talking about comfort for bigger guys then reaching out to Aero and them responding with specs and weight ratings i was sold on them.

I was wondering how the platform did with bigger fellas. Video i found says it failed at 1200# but the website has it rated at 300# max capcity so was shying away from it. Maybe i will do some more research on it.

I have a Kestrel Flex and love the comfort haven't hunted yet just practice at ground level. After doing research and guys talking about comfort for bigger guys then reaching out to Aero and them responding with specs and weight ratings i was sold on them.
You made a good choice. I spent another few hours in the mantis and it just wasn't for me. I spent hours trying to find a sweet spot and couldn't do it. Matthew Tompkins that makes TX5 saddles brought one of his over with a mesh pleated seat and it was extremely comfortable. So I'm selling the mantis and heading in that direction. No sense in fighting for comfort when I can find it immediately in another one. Definitely the mantis was a quality product I just don't believe it was built for guys quite as big as me. Now the predator platform, that thing is a beast! I won't be parting ways with it anytime soon and I stand by that after getting to spend some time on a LWCG Ambush.

Guess I need to find predator platform by sounds of it. I will keep an eye out season almost over so not gonna be in a huge rush.

I just got my flex and Predator this past weekend. I’m 6’ 300 lbs. The predator’s top bracket pulls away from the tree and makes me a little nervous that it’s not safe. Has anyone else experienced this?

I just got my flex and Predator this past weekend. I’m 6’ 300 lbs. The predator’s top bracket pulls away from the tree and makes me a little nervous that it’s not safe. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have experienced this. I have only hunted twice from my predator platform. The first time was worst than the second. My guess is we may not be getting it tight enough to the tree. Second time was much better but still think I can get it better. Maybe someone can chime in on best way?

Stand on the post of the platform, and pull the platform up with your toe, the post will slide down the tree slightly causing the strap to tighten, then cam the platform back over with your foot. Called toe hooking. As long as you have a gen 2 predator it's non-issue. I'm 320 and do it on mine. It locks it in solid and that post will stay tight to the tree.

Stand on the post of the platform, and pull the platform up with your toe, the post will slide down the tree slightly causing the strap to tighten, then cam the platform back over with your foot. Called toe hooking. As long as you have a gen 2 predator it's non-issue. I'm 320 and do it on mine. It locks it in solid and that post will stay tight to the tree.

Haven’t done that and I do have the gen 2. Will try that next time out. Thanks!

Thank you! I’ll give that a try this weekend. Really didn’t want to have to return the platform since it seems great otherwise!

Thank you! I’ll give that a try this weekend. Really didn’t want to have to return the platform since it seems great otherwise!

It is great! Definitely don't do that. Once you toe hook it you will totally get why everyone is crazy about it. It's literally the most solid platform I've ever stood on including every tree stand I've ever had.

I added an adjustable bridge to my Mantis, and shortened it (shorter than the standard Mantis bridge) and that seemed more comfortable, I tried lengthening it also, and that seemed better also, but the length of bridge was binding up my bino harness, interfered with some cross-body type shots, etc. So in summary: Longer tether, shorter bridge worked well, but the key was the adjustable bridge.

For the adjustable bridge I used the Sterling Oplux 8.5" kit from Wild Edge with the sewn eye, I use both a prussic above, and the Kong Duck below for two points of contact on the bridge. (Just know that you have to use an oval carabiner if you opt for the Kong Duck. My D-carabiners don't work well with it.) I also switched out my lineman's belt for the Sterling Oplux, no prussic this time, just the Kong Duck. The Ropeman 1 I'd been using previously with my original Tethrd-supplied lineman's belt is too big for that 8mm Sterling line. (I am about to switch to Sterling for my tether also, way lighter, easier to stow than the bulky lines that came with my Mantis.) One thing I did NOT do was to cut away the old Amsteel fixed bridge on the Mantis. For one, I can sell it in original condition once the Yarak is available again, and for two, I use it as a backup to the adjustable bridge, it just kind of floats around in the carabiner behind the adjustable.....just in case....

First time saddle user here.

Got my set up in the mail today. Ordered 11/15.

Only had about 15 minutes to play with it prior to having to leave for work (shift worker)

First impression:
Surprised with the overall weight of everything in the box (mantis, predator, two sys haulers, hys strap, s biners, and hero clip, caribiners, linemans rope, and tether.) Very light in comparison to a XOP Maximus clamp on.

Comfort: Take this with a grain of salt since obviously I was only in it for 15 minutes. First thing I noticed was the lower leg strap attachments weren't going to ever work for me since I have huge thighs and every step the leg straps would fall and become uncomfortable. Put the straps on the belt loops and they were very comfortable at that point. Had a little hip pinch at first (nothing major) but noticed the top of my saddle was about belt level, moved my saddle down on my butt and no more issues with that. I did find that when swinging around the tree my body tends to take me further than what I'm looking to go, but I'm sure that will change as I get more proficient at learning to control my movement's. Could've also been cause of a lean on the tree or something else. I was on a basketball sized tree, and found that both leaning and sitting were both comfortable.I could probably see myself preferring to switch back and forth as needed to achieve comfort throughout the hunt. I played with tether height a little and found that about forehead level I could essentially take a 2 o'clock shot from the strong side. I went through a few different shot scenarios; drop shot, weak side, and believe that with practice they could all be easily executed.

Predator platform:
This thing is fantastic. I expected quite a bit of flex in the platform when I stepped on but was surprised it was nothing noticeable (my XOP lock on flexed bad and always made me nervous) Don't think I've ever seen a platform lock in as tight. I cammed it over by hand at first and put some side pressure on it and it eventually worked a little loose, so I stepped on the post and toe hooked it and at that point it felt like it was concrete. I will test that exact same scenario multiple times before I go to height. I'm a big boy 6'4 320 (working on shedding weight) and want to be certain it's big boy approved before putting myself at height with it.

I became a little skeptical of my choice of the mantis after doing a bunch of reading about the kestrel flex working better for big guys. After my 15 minute test run today I became more optimistic about it. As I stated, this was a quick test run before going to work just because I was so damn excited I couldn't stand to go work 12 hrs without trying it first. But I'm excited to have it and ready to take the plunge head first into saddle hunting.

so quick question. Do you wish you had gone with the kestrel flex? I am around the same build and am torn between the Tethrd saddle and kestrel flex.
first timer here as well. So it’s all new.

Update on the saddle set up.

Predator platform: still rock solid. Toe hook it in and it's not going anywhere. Definitely the best thing about the whole set up IMO.

Mantis: not the most comfortable, but you can definitely tell it's well built. Done lots of adjusting to try to get it right for me and I think the best method is to take the bottom of the saddle and pull it down as tight as I can and sit back in it. That seems to give me the most comfort. Tether height set at about Adams apple height seems to give me the most stability moving around the tree, as well as the most comfort overall. It seems to be growing on me as this is my 3rd and longest set (about an hour) at ground level in my backyard.

Hys strap: awesome idea. Whoever thought of that should be given an award.

Tether and lineman's belt:
Heavy, bulky, but solid. In hind sight I wish Id of went with oplux rather than the tethrd set up but I fell into the ropeman hype so opted for the bigger ropes.

Ropeman: not a fan. Atleast on the tether. Haven't tried it on the lineman's belt. It seems to make noise every time I try to adjust with a little weight on it, which I am a large lad so I feel it's pain but IMO that takes away from the "one handed operation" selling point that got me. Probably will end up selling it or just sticking it in my safe for the future incase I give it another go.

Arcteryx knee pads: not a fan. If you're solely going for less bulk, less weight they're perfect. But for me knee comfort is probably one thing I don't want to budge on so they aren't for me. They serve their purpose but are far from being comfortable. I'm going to try them with a strap ran through them to allow the strap to hold my weight against the tree rather than my legs and see if that helps.

All in all: I really enjoy sitting in the saddle. I believe this will probably be my go to method of hunting with maybe an occasional preset lock on or climber sit from time to time. Time will tell but I am overall very excited about it. Little tweaking of the system here and there to perfect it for me and I do believe I'll be in love with it. Hope this might help any of you big fellas out there. Cross your fingers that tethrd drops a pleated seat saddle in the coming year. I think that addition to the mantis would make it perfect.

What kind of noise are you getting from a ropeman? My experience is they are virtually silent. When you adjust the ropeman, are you taking load of of it?

Thank you for this review and information. I am also a big fella at 6' and 290# and I carry my weight in the lower half. I was really wondering if the Mantis would fit me, and now I'm less worried about it. I am still undecided about which saddle I'll get, but your post really informed me. Thanks again.

so quick question. Do you wish you had gone with the kestrel flex? I am around the same build and am torn between the Tethrd saddle and kestrel flex.
first timer here as well. So it’s all new.
Sorry guys. Been away from the forum for a while. I sold the mantis pretty shortly after getting it. I think in hind sight I wish I'd of just kept it incase I wanted to try it again down the road. But I got a TX5 custom built saddle and loved it. Only thing I don't like about it is the bridge which is a webbing bridge, but I'm intending to DIY a utilibridge ASAP so at that point I believe my saddle will be perfect for me.

How can you tell what gen you have?

Back