• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mantis-what size?

RavenHill

Hey guys, I know this has been asked to death but I’d love some other opinions. I’m 5”11, 160 pounds, 31 waist pants and have a medium mantis on order. I’m leary of the medium now since it seems everyone that got one is trading it for a large.

Anyone out there actually keep the medium and like it?

I do need some pretty good layering in the late season to deal with the cold. If need be I’m pretty sure I could switch the order to a large, it hasn’t been shipped yet.

What do you guys think?

I have the large mantis. I'm 200 lbs, with a 35.5 in waist, give or take. I'm comfortable in mine. Your like five sizes smaller than me. I can't imagine a medium wouldn't fit. I layered under mine this season, no problem. IMO.

I have the large mantis. I'm 200 lbs, with a 35.5 in waist, give or take. I'm comfortable in mine. Your like five sizes smaller than me. I can't imagine a medium wouldn't fit. I layered under mine this season, no problem. IMO.
Thanks, any info is appreciated. I’m sure it will fit, just seems out of comfort most are switching to the large.

I'm 5'9" 175lbs with a 31" waist with a "gifted" bottom and I ordered a medium. I'm new to saddle hunting so this was my first saddle. I had 3 sits with it. I also read about others liking the Large better so I traded in my climber for a large Mantis and did a comparison. For me the difference wasn't night and day but was worth the switch. The large cupped my bottom better which made sitting more comfortable. While leaning there wasn't much of a noticeable difference. I did pull off an all day sit with the medium whithout too much discomfort.

I guess you just have to ask your girl if you have a "gifted" bottom" and then decide. LOL . Heck I'm going to keep keep the saddle I've got, but I'm going home after work, and ask my wife if I'm gifted back there. Inquiring minds want to know.

Has anyone seen a picture of a medium and large mantis together or seen anyone list the actual dimensions? I'd like to know what the actual differences are? I have a medium that seems comfortable to me but am intrigued by the number of guys switching to a large as well.

I'm 5'9" 175lbs with a 31" waist with a "gifted" bottom and I ordered a medium. I'm new to saddle hunting so this was my first saddle. I had 3 sits with it. I also read about others liking the Large better so I traded in my climber for a large Mantis and did a comparison. For me the difference wasn't night and day but was worth the switch. The large cupped my bottom better which made sitting more comfortable. While leaning there wasn't much of a noticeable difference. I did pull off an all day sit with the medium whithout too much discomfort.
Seeing as you’ve done an all day sit in the medium, I’m thinking I’ll be alright.

I actually just traded the Medium for a kestrel so I no longer have it for comparison. I don't believe the bridge changes from one size to the next. The belt loops I am unsure of.

Back