• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Marine exhaust Tubing

Pxt

Has anyone been using marine exhaust tubing as a platform.? Saw a thread last year, did it ever work out?

Has anyone been using marine exhaust tubing as a platform.? Saw a thread last year, did it ever work out?

Crazy you bring this up today...I just hit Home Depot today for some corrugated pipe to experiment with a cheap version.

Here's a link to what I picked up...
https://homedepot.app.link/gVn5L30xtG SKU# 100212428

Was planning to mess with this and some inner tube (for sound and grip purposes) and see what I could come up with. I'll let everyone know if it turns out worth a crap.

Let us know. It's going to be bulky but there might be an easy way to carry it on a pack.

I'm always interested in more area for my feet but with light weight

That post was from Stykbow1. He uses it and said it works great.

Guys the MEH was never really meant as a portable platform it is on the heavy side. I use mostly preset stand sites so the weight is not an issue and this stuff is quiet and bomb proof. Plus I don't think anyone would even bother it if they saw it in the tree. Once it is ratcheted to the tree it is quiet, comfortable, and solid. The piece that I have is 3" diameter but Jim Warwick the person who gave it to me told me last year he has been using a piece 6" diameter and it is even better. There are two drawbacks weight and price it is very expensive and is on the heavy side. It is probably not a good fit for the guy who likes to travel light but it is great for a preset location. I hope this helps.

Roger,

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_4a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_4a.jpeg
    387.3 KB · Views: 55
  • fullsizeoutput_4b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_4b.jpeg
    520.2 KB · Views: 56
SS you are right it probably would but I have never really worried about it since I pretty much set it and forget it!:blush: I'm sure that the guys could come up with tons of mods but since it is pretty expensive a lot of guys would look for a more cost-effective alternative. One thing I will say it is very comfortable and quiet for anyone who has problems with their feet on stand with regular steps or spikes. I'd like to try a piece of the 6" diameter stuff but I'm too cheap!:blush:

Roger,

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_7e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_7e.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 36
if you are talking about drainage tile I am sure it may be noisy and bulky.
I agree there are obstacles. I'm interested to see how significant they are. If they are easy to work around it will be an option for more surface with the downside being a little bulk.

If it works out, I will still be carrying in significantly less than I was with my climber.

I agree there are obstacles. I'm interested to see how significant they are. If they are easy to work around it will be an option for more surface with the downside being a little bulk.

If it works out, I will still be carrying in significantly less than I was with my climber.
Always worth trying new things

Roger,
Makes sense. I am one of those 'problems with the feet' guys. I tend not to wear thick shoes too.
It would be great to find some tubing that wasn't crazy heavy and I could just hang it my pack.
Love the idea of no noise and the springy aspect would be wonderful.

JSD yes it is really comfortable and quiet! Since I only have the one piece I never cut it up like SS suggested but I did think about it. If I had a couple of pieces I might have tried it. I will have to ask Jim if the 6" diameter is even stronger than the 3" stuff. One thing I will say that it works best on larger diameter trees. Also, make sure you use a quality ratchet strap because this stuff is strong and it broke the cheap one that I was using at first. In situations with small diameter trees cutting pieces might work even better than leaving it whole.

Roger,

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_7e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_7e.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 20
Back