• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mathews

I heard it’s good at putting pointy sticks into critters, but it’s not for everyone. I’d say check it out at your local shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a 28 and shot the 31.5, and they are really nice bows. The 28 shoots flat out. Holds on target like very few (if any) other bows that I have ever shot. Not sure that any of the bows are worth the money that is being asked for them these days. The price creep in archery has gotten outrageous since about 2010 or so. I could be wrong, but when Hoyt dropped that $1600 carbon bow, the prices went from 799 to 1000 very rapidly.

I heard it’s good at putting pointy sticks into critters, but it’s not for everyone. I’d say check it out at your local shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have check them out already just haven’t pulled the trigger. Just wanted to get some feedback on guys that are shooting them

I own a 28 and shot the 31.5, and they are really nice bows. The 28 shoots flat out. Holds on target like very few (if any) other bows that I have ever shot. Not sure that any of the bows are worth the money that is being asked for them these days. The price creep in archery has gotten outrageous since about 2010 or so. I could be wrong, but when Hoyt dropped that $1600 carbon bow, the prices went from 799 to 1000 very rapidly.
Do you feel that the draw cycle of the bow is very smooth? I haven’t checked that Hoyt out yet, but now I’m interested in looking at it! I’m shooting an obsession I think I paid 800 for it bone stock. It’s not a bad shooting bow but I think next year I’m going to get a Mathews!

I’m also shooting a 28” VXR and I agree with the previous feedback. It’s the best shooting bow I’ve ever shot. I liked it better than the Hoyts, and it’s a HUGE jump from my switchback. It holds steady, draws smooth, I will say the cams are a lot more aggressive than the solo cam models so keep that in mind. Also, the engage grip feels really good, but I had a problem with torquing it pretty often. So I took it off and added the side plates... worlds of difference. It’s worth it to me, but I’d go shoot it and possibly others and make a decision

I shoot the Mathews traverse now and was looking around at something with the same specs as to my traverse for a back up. I shot the vxr for a solid hour at a shop and I really was very surprised on how good it balanced for me even with no stabilizers. The draw cycle to me felt smoother than my traverse. The issue I had with it was the price and the grip I found that the engage grip really forces your thumb up into the side of the riser (for me atleast). It took some learning to shoot it good but now I probably wouldn’t change it I haven’t messed with the side plates but you can also change the grip to anything you want. I wasn’t a big believer in thinking every Mathews now is better than the last but I’ll have to say that the vxr is a good change especially from their triax or vertix.

Is it worth the money? Only you can truly determine that. Here's why I say that...

I've never shot the VXR but the year prior I went and shot the Vertix because I figured it was time to upgrade from my Switchback that I've had since '05. I guess I was expecting to be blown away with its performance because surely after so many years technology has got to have made these new bows dream machines or so I thought.

Long story short, the Vertix held ok, was dead in the hand at the shot and did send arrows downrange quickly but my switchback had the better draw cycle and was/is still treating me well. To me there wasn't this huge increase in performance to justify dropping $1k to have the newest bow. Don't get me wrong, the Vertix is a great bow as I'm sure the VXR is too, and I'd be very happy to own either of them but in my case the price wasn't worth it.

If your Obsession is within the last five or so years I don't think performance will be too much improved but the best thing would be to go shoot the VXR and your bow side by side and then decide if it's worth it to change. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I’m not sure I’ll make the jump this year due to the start of the season is right around the corner but come next year I’m sure I will. I definitely got to go out and shoot the vxr first I just wanted to know what all of you thought of it. Thanks everyone!!

Honestly if you want for next years flagship to release you’ll get that vxr a lot cheaper at most places. That’s what I did to get my traverse as long as you’re willing to wait.

Back