• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Meniscus tear and surgery?

mprooch

Anyone out there had a meniscectomy or partial knee replacement? Looking for how it’s worked out for people. Got my diagnosis and options today so looking at doing nothing till I can’t stand it, having the medial meniscus removed, or going with medial compartment replacement now knowing that my 50 year old knees look 65+ already and I’m on borrowed time regardless.

I had arthroscopic surgery on my meniscus last year. I had a partial tear and was told it would be a quick recovery. When the dr got in there the tear was worse than he thought and he took a pretty big portion of the meniscus out on the inside of my knee. The recovery was a lot slower than he expected, partially because it was worse than expected and partially because I developed a baker's cyst right before the surgery that kept wanting to come back.

I was walking on my knee with no crutches in just a day or two but it was a couple months until I was back to walking on uneven ground, jogging, etc. I would estimate that my knee was back to very close to 100% in 3 or 4 months.

I missed a spring of scouting but, wouldn't hesitate to have the surgery again. I had no problems hunting, hiking, and climbing trees this season.

Offensive lineman, college football…

Left knee surgery sophomore year cleaned up a tear 40% removed

Junior year right knee tear 90% removed

Senior year left knee again clean up removed the rest…

Im 11 years out from graduating knees don’t bother me except for long trips sitting in the truck… I jog, race dirt bikes, scout and hunt without issues…

Team Dr said by 40 id prolly need knee surgery but at 33 I feel good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an arthroscopic medial meniscectomy in my early 30's. After the surgery the Dr. told me I also had a torn ACL that they weren't able to diagnose prior to the surgery so I would need to come back and get that done. Never happened. I played ice hockey until I was 56 with no real issues. After the surgery I was really sorry I hadn't gone in and had it done sooner. It was definitely worth it. They also told me immediately after the surgery I'd be a candidate for a knee replacement once I got a bit older.

As I'm now approaching 60 I do have some arthritis in the knee and I'm sure I'll have to finally follow up at some point and get it replaced but I've had a good run on my own knee since my surgery. I would highly recommend the procedure.

Have then install some extra padding into your knee so you never have to bring knee pads or cushions into the woods again.

I haven't had knee replacement surgery but my grandpa (83) did a double knee replacement 2 years ago and was golfing 6 weeks later. Hes so happy he did. My dad (62) had orthoscopic surgery twice and it seems to work for a few years and then ultimately fail again.

I think knee surgery is so common that the doctors really have it down and do a great job. A good buddy of mine sells knee replacement parts for a living. He said its pretty crazy how advanced things are these days. It's basically like going to the dentist and getting a root canal

ACL replacement and meniscus “trimming” done almost 25 yrs ago. Never came back to 100%, hence the lack of a professional sports career. Doesn’t really bother me now, just adds some bitterness to my tone after a long day of driving or being on my feet.

Had orthoscopic surgery on my left knee to remove damaged meniscus in my early 30s. I'm 40 now. I've never been back to 100%. If I play basketball or anything that involves running or lateral movements, it means I'll have a swollen knee for the next day. Hiking/hunting/scouting may just make it sore.

Probably doesn't help that I'm overweight. I often wonder how these athletes can get right back in there when I can barely play a game with my kids outside, but it's just the luck of the draw most likely.

Do it!! I had approximately 60% of my left knee Meniscus removed orthoscopically in 2015. It was torn and would fold over and absolutely balloon up until the flap went back to normal position. Hated life, finally went to doctor they put me on an anti-inflammatory for three weeks just made my ankles swell. Then went to PT still no luck, went in for an MRI and found the irreparable tear. They also told me I’ll need full replacement at some point but my knee has been great ever since the surgery. I was back to work in a week and off crutches about the same time. Played sports all throughout HS. Football my since 7th grade and intramural sports and rugby in college. Also did a lot of running in my mid to late 30’s. The only thing they said I shouldn’t do is run now but swim and bike to my hearts content. Running will warp speed you to full knee replacement as that cushion is now gone.

Last edited:
I have MRI scheduled 7 a.m.
Right knee.
Three weeks ago I couldn't even walk.
Swelling and locking up at the ligaments.
It will suck if I can never jog again.

Right knee.
Good luck @Bigfoot522 !!! Hopefully its not a torn ACL. A torn meniscus is really not that bad and pretty quick recovery if that's all it is. But I know what you mean. I could hardly go up and down the stairs in my house when the flap would fold over and my knee would swell up so much. I felt like I was 100 years old.

Right knee.
Good luck. I ran several marathons and an ultra about 20 years ago. Wonder if this is the delayed price for that. I can't really jog anymore without paying the piper the next day.

Meniscus tear and a tear of the politeus muscle as well.
Waiting in surgeon's office now for consultation.

The guy says he will trim the meniscus and the other muscle don't even matter.
Miss a week off work.

I blew both knees up when I was 16. Doc said I had knees of a 80 year old. 45 now and do fine. I have arthritis but light leg work outs and biking helps keep the pain away.

I raced motocross so with that knee injuries are almost a given. How ever out of all the injuries I sustained I think my
Meniscus was the worst. I bruised/pulled both of them a time or two but the only torn meniscus I had was in my second to last year of racing (7 years ago now) and they did a micro surgery to patch me all up and to this day my knee still pops and bothers me

Back