• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Merry Christmas from a new guy!

Sipsey

image.jpeg I just recently discovered this forum and am amazed at the number of folks I have something in common with. It was about 25 years ago I watched a locally produced hunting video that featured a local Doctor who was hunting out of a strange looking contraption that hung from a rope wrapped around a tree and attached with a carabiner. It was a piece of plywood with a thick foam cushion that had a continuous loop of seat belt material that formed a large loop on either side. Another loop of strap, that would seem to serve as what you guys refer to as a bridge was connected to the side loops with a add a link chain piece. Attached to the bridge was a smaller sewn loop with a carabiner. He used 1/2" ski rope with a fixed loop and a Chinese loop for adjustment on the other end. He had the drill system made by local bow legend Jerry Simmons.

I was able to contact him and meet up for a demo in his back yard. Went home and put one together and have been using it every since. Wondering if anyone uses something similar. Extremely comfortable and though I've replaced the rope I've never had a problem. Here's the pattern for the platform, I'll post a picture of the rig tomorrow.

Awesome. We want pics or a video demo for sure.
There are some folks using something similar although I'm not sure how many "regulars" use one.

Welcome to the site! I'm working on something similar but very different at the same time. Your pattern is much different than anything I've seen. I can't wait to see it in action.

Also I'd love be to hear anything more about your story. I'm hooked on the saddle history and your story is one I'm not familiar with. I might have heard one other reference to this doctor.

Here are a couple of picts. I replaced my original cushion a couple of years ago with this thing with a back rest. I usually use my padded lineman belt hooked back into one of several attachment points along the bridge strap. I need to make some minor tweaks with the new cushion. It is a great gun and vertical bow stand but I switched to an Excalibur crossbow a few years back and use a millinium m100 when useing it. I also found I love to hunt out of a turkey chair with the short blind material with built in stakes stretched out with a short pair of shooting stix.

The linemans belt is an original Simmons although I've made several over the years that were lighter and just as good. I always used a local shoe repair store for the stitching, though I've done minor mods. with my hand awl. I've helped several friends build their own and board size, strap length etc. can all be customized for individual fit. I recently upgraded to a new lineman belt rope, its 11mm static line and a small ascender. Probably do a variation on the tree rope in the near future. The 1/2" black hollow braid rope is quite sturdy and very light. I've always liked the adjustability.
Dr. Robert (Bob) Sheppard is the fellow who demonstrated his version years ago. He has several utube videos discussing some interesting findings from years of data collected as a guide. Be happy to share more info. or Picts for anyone interested. The stand itself might weigh 5-6 lbs. and carries over the shoulder quite nicely, even as I climb. Only after affixing it and sitting in it does the lineman belt come off so if done correctly it's quite safe. I've napped in it many times and if everything's done right one would be hard pressed to fall out of it.image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Agreed. Thanks for sharing the pics @Sipsey
One little detail I forgot to mention. Those brass hole thingies that are spaced on the bridge strap. For long sits a short piece of broom handle with a rounded off nail sticking out each end can be placed into the holes to reduce strap pinch. I made my board a little wider which reduced the issue, but going minimalist one can get some discomfort after a while. One can place holders for anything on the bottom of the board and I even had two strategically bent rubber coated rods on one side that cradled my old 30-06 so well, you didn't have to worry about it. Does anyone use a variation of a "spreader" to reduce side pressure on their saddles?

Sipsey, are those steps I see on that tree? Bolts with a cut down 2X4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it. I might have to put a couple together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back