• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Micarta as ameristep step alternative

Scott F

Feb 15, 2015
Tampa, Florida
Has anyone tried to make strap-on steps out of micarta?
Would it be able to take the shearing force?

boone0

Sep 28, 2014
Hmm... Thinking this out. Micarta is just a bunch of layers of fabric pressed together with epoxy, right? Seems similar to how plywood is created but without the inherent rigidity of wood.

Other posters in my thread seemed to say they were not damaged by water too easily. If you were really concerned you could probably tung oil them or use some other type of wood sealant (I was considering epoxy but it was mentioned that this is heavy and slippery).

I liked my steps. They need a little work but they will be usable if nothing better comes along.

Definitely post here if you try it!

Scott F

Feb 15, 2015
Tampa, Florida
I posted this prior to reading your thread -- I am without question going to make the exact steps that you made. I already have a template cut out and ready! Thanks for that by the way, you had a great idea with this one.

I was thinking of trying to replicate the exact strap on steps from Ameristep, but with micarta, possibly with a metal reinforcement center. I now think that your idea is a much better option.

boone0

Sep 28, 2014
Good luck, glad I was able to help. I only used mine on one hunt, so I can't say they're perfect. Make a couple, see how they work, and let us all know if you refine the idea!

Stykbow1

Vendor Rep
Apr 2, 2014
New Jersey
Hey guys what about making the blocks out of a heavy rubber like they use to chock doors open or put under trucks to keep them from rolling backward, they would be strong, quiet, and non slip. I guess you would either have to mill them out or have them molded but I think they would be a great alternative if you could find somplace willing to make them. Or make them out of aluminum and rubber dip them to cut down on the noise. What do you think?

Roger

fawnzy

Jul 4, 2014
I'm guessing the rubber cracks are triangular? You could saw through one a bunch of times to make them up. I wonder how much rigidity the would lose when sliced thin and hie much they would weigh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk