• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Michigan Buck Still In Velvet

ricky racer

Well, I've been hunting deer for 50 years now and I've never seen this before. I was hunting yesterday morning and had a spike and a 3 pt walk under me. To my surprise, the 3 pt was still in velvet. The bucks here in Michigan generally loose their velvet in late August or early September.

20231010_081947.jpg

Confirmed buck via anatomy? May be an anterled doe or it could be a buck with hormone deficiencies. My uncle shot an 8 point buck during MO rifle season in November years ago that was in velvet, had a scar where his testicles should have been.

Confirmed buck via anatomy? May be an anterled doe or it could be a buck with hormone deficiencies. My uncle shot an 8 point buck during MO rifle season in November years ago that was in velvet, had a scar where his testicles should have been.
I assumed it was a buck since it was traveling with another buck. It would be pretty out of place for a doe to be hanging out with a buck.
Last year, about a mile away, I saw a doe with antlers again an assumption but it was traveling with two fawns that were obviously with the antlered deer.

I have only had my hands on one antlered doe and she was hard horned. My uncle killed it on a trip to Ohio.

50112267bc6e1e650be1de354afd3712.jpg

Back