• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Michigan Ticks Alert

Silvio

Heys guys while out scouting here in Central Michigan a month ago I came home with a number of those critters on me...
I was talking with a arborist at a nursery the other day and he was telling me ticks love pine trees. Well my last two tree preps that day were both pine trees I believe this hunting season we are all going to have to take extra precautions so please suggest what type of tick sprays work best
Thanks
Silvio

Permetherin. First time I used it was turkey season about 5 years ago, looked down at my boots and watched 6 ticks climb 2 inches up and curl up dead. Use it every year since. Also I live in Georgia right now and hunt primarily pines, no ticks in 2 seasons with my treated clothes.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Permethrin is the way to go. I believe it is bad for cats in liquid form, so let it dry before exposing it to them.
Otherwise, it is fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Aron and thank you Joe...myvwife says lemongrass with cedar oil should work too...but I like your results
The sawyers tick spray is permethrin and it’s amazing. Spray it on your clothes and pack, let them hang and dry for 2-4 hours and it stays in your clothes killing ticks for up to 5 washes. Down here we have ticks show up year round and with that stuff on your clothes, they fall off dead within seconds of jumping on you. It doesn’t do very well for mosquitoes though (the bottle lies lol)

Every time i bring it up, I get a luke warm response, at best, but I’ll keep preaching the gospel of gamehide elimitick clothing. Permethrin “baked right in”. Good for 70 washes or 7 years.

I’ve put live ticks on the clothes and watch them take a step or two, falter, then drop off dead. No ticks on me since wearing these clothes.

For none-clothes gear like back packs, i use the sawyers spray.

Every time i bring it up, I get a luke warm response, at best, but I’ll keep preaching the gospel of gamehide elimitick clothing. Permethrin “baked right in”. Good for 70 washes or 7 years.

I’ve put live ticks on the clothes and watch them take a step or two, falter, then drop off dead. No ticks on me since wearing these clothes.

For none-clothes gear like back packs, i use the sawyers spray.

Same experience here with Elimitick

Haven’t had a tick latch on in several yrs while wearing Elimitick clothes

I’m in FL , am usually deer hunting in pines, walk thru waist-chest high dog fennel almost every day that I’m in the woods & in turkey season I’m sitting on the ground for hours often in swamp grass/dog fennel/brush

I’ve only had a few ticks get on me and it’s been on exposed areas like the back of my hand but I flick them off or they fall off when they touch my shirt

I permethrin ALL my clothes nowadays. All my work clothes all my hunting clothes. About the only clothes that I have that escape permethrin is my Dress clothes. I have got to I rarely wear shorts when I’m walking around our property. They are so bad here. One walk from the house to the lake and you will have a couple on you. Every day any time. I’ve sprayed the lawn. Nothing seems to help

Heys guys while out scouting here in Central Michigan a month ago I came home with a number of those critters on me...
I was talking with a arborist at a nursery the other day and he was telling me ticks love pine trees. Well my last two tree preps that day were both pine trees I believe this hunting season we are all going to have to take extra precautions so please suggest what type of tick sprays work best
Thanks
Silvio
I’m just south of you in Fenton and I noticed a tick on me while showering last week. I’ve only been out mtn biking locally and doing work in the yard, so it looks like they’ve spread here too. Time to stock up on Permetherin.

@Silvio - Excellent advice above. I live in Connecticut where Lyme disease (carried by deer ticks) was first discovered. (In Old Lyme, CT) The tick population has exploded here as well this year.

We've had to take great precautions to prevent tick bites and Lyme disease in my home state for the last 40 years. Like others have said above, permethrin clothing treatment is by far the most effective way to keep ticks off you and your gear. It's no exaggeration that a tick will die after crawling across just an inch or two of treated fabric. Lemongrass & Cedar oil won't cut it in heavily tick infested areas - you really don't want to mess around with light duty repellents when you can treat clothing with a safe and highly effective repellent that acts as an insecticide if the tick doesn't drop off quickly enough (permethrin). The Sawyer brand of permethrin is premixed to the proper concentration, and one spray-down of your hunting clothes and gear lasts 4-6 weeks.

For those who aren't familiar with it, it comes in aerosol cans as well as trigger spray bottles. I find the aerosol cans easier to use, and they achieve a more uniform dampness on the fabric than the trigger spray bottles. I spray the outside of my clothes a day or more ahead of when I'm going to need to wear them, and let them completely dry before I wear them. (I wear a medical face mask and gloves when I do the application.) Once the permethrin dries on the fabric, you're good to go. (You don't head out with clothes that are wet with permethrin.) One treatment is good for 4-6 weeks. In addition to clothing, I spray it on boots, packs, turkey vests, neck gaiter, gloves, hats, bino cases too - basically anything that ticks might latch onto while seeking a host.

Link to Sawyer Permethrin

There is another, even lower maintenance option. It's called Insect Shield, and it's a near-permanent permethrin treatment for your clothes. It is a proprietary process of tightly bonding the permethrin to clothing so that it can endure 70 washings and still retain its effectiveness. If you want the convenience of not having to reapply permethrin spray to your hunting clothes every 4-6 weeks, it's a great option. You can send in your own clothes for treatment, but they won't treat non-clothing items like backpacks.

Link to Insect Shield

@sojourner encouraged you to check out Elimitick clothing by Gamehide, and it's a great option if you want to purchase hunting clothes that have been pretreated with Insect Shield treatment at the factory. I have used the Gamehide Elimitick clothing and it's extremely effective - I've never gotten a tick on me when using it.

Link to Gamehide Elimitick Clothing

Last edited:
How much do you all spary on your clothes, just a quick spray in each area or to the point where the clothes just a little damp?
Also, will permethrim reduce effectiveness if sprayed on scent-lok clothing?

I typically just spray enough to get a light surface dampness. I don't treat my outer camo, I typically only treat my camo jeans (or a pair of outdoor use blue jeans) and my long sleeve camo tees that I wear under my camo. I also pay particular attention to the mid calf to mid thighs of the jeans since I typically tuck them into a pair of rubber boots and then the lower sleeves and around the collars of the shirts. This keeps the most likely entry points covered and has worked for me so far.

I permethrin ALL my clothes nowadays. All my work clothes all my hunting clothes. About the only clothes that I have that escape permethrin is my Dress clothes. I have got to I rarely wear shorts when I’m walking around our property. They are so bad here. One walk from the house to the lake and you will have a couple on you. Every day any time. I’ve sprayed the lawn. Nothing seems to help

Try soaking cotton balls in permethrin and then putting it out in empty toilet paper rolls around the property. Most ticks are born in mice nests. The mice will harvest the cotton for their nests and the ticks die before they can even get out of the mouse nest.

We paid a guy a couple hundred for a tick problem at our archery and gun club. You couldn’t shoot the 3D course without getting at least a dozen or more on you. The guy came in and did this and the next year we got maybe one.

https://www.myfrugalhome.com/how-to-make-tick-tubes/

Interesting idea on the tick tubes. Don't turkeys eat a ton of ticks? If you want to kill some birds you may not want to eradicate all the ticks, although I do hate them.

How much do you all spary on your clothes, just a quick spray in each area or to the point where the clothes just a little damp?
Also, will permethrim reduce effectiveness if sprayed on scent-lok clothing?
I spray my clothes until they are pretty soaked and hang to dry.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back