• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Milkweed alternatives

SaddleUpPartner!

Yo, just got thinking of milkweed alternatives for scent control. I have 3 giant cottonwood trees in my backyard that snow cottonwood pods all over my lawn. I have not looked for milkweed pods in my yard but has anyone used cottonwood 'snow' for scent control? I imagine it would be pretty similar to milkweed. Thanks

Bubbles. Just do it.
iu

Bubbles. Just do it.

I've legit thought about this. Noticed how good they are playing with my daughter. Even one day there was absolutely zero wind did milkweed comparisons and bubbles showed a level of subtlety that the weed doesn't, the weed just fell via gravity while the bubble floated.

I've legit thought about this. Noticed how good they are playing with my daughter. Even one day there was absolutely zero wind did milkweed comparisons and bubbles showed a level of subtlety that the weed doesn't, the weed just fell via gravity while the bubble floated.
Bubbles were for real my "aha" moment with thermals and "microwinds". Those and colored smoke bombs from the fireworks shack.

Bubbles were for real my "aha" moment with thermals and "microwinds". Those and colored smoke bombs from the fireworks shack.

It was an interesting revelation but I left it at that. I often leave the milkweed at home and take a puff bottle because I don't feel I need that complete picture the milkweed paints.

In those nanowind situations I feel like I am screwed anyway, that's when it feels like you are sitting in a cloud of stank. I've had those situations be a little confusing to deer also though because they'll smell something but they arent quite sure where you are.

It was an interesting revelation but I left it at that. I often leave the milkweed at home and take a puff bottle because I don't feel I need that complete picture the milkweed paints.

In those nanowind situations I feel like I am screwed anyway, that's when it feels like you are sitting in a cloud of stank. I've had those situations be a little confusing to deer also though because they'll smell something but they arent quite sure where you are.
I don't really pay that much attention to it all. I look for winds speeds of at least 8-10 mph. In my locale it becomes dependable at that speed, and you can make decisions based on wind. Below that it's as you describe: just a handicap you live with unless you want to couch-sit.

It's especially hard when you have a ladder stand set up and you can't move. I have it set up right on the outside of doe bedding so it's a fantastic staging area when the rut kicks in. But last year with an east wind at 10 mph, I had a buck sniff me out immediately after hitting my scent stream. He stopped, stuck his nose in the air, turned around and cautiously walked off in the opposite direction. Not a darn thing I could do about it because of my stand location. This season is going to be WAY different with the saddle.

I'm sure there are quite a few other natural windicators out there other than milkweed, according to where you live. With the available candidates in our area, (cottonwood/cat tail/thistle) the virtues of milkweed make it indispensable.

I'm sure there are quite a few other natural windicators out there other than milkweed, according to where you live. With the available candidates in our area, (cottonwood/cat tail/thistle) the virtues of milkweed make it indispensable.
I totally agree. Bubbles work well. Milkweed doesn't spill...has it's own pouch if you keep it. Like that they float better than taken out and stored in something else. The feathers idea if they are dyed bright enough probably is very good cause you can see it better. But I'm a big fan of milk weed pods so far.

I tried cattails the other day. It worked, but fell to quickly you really tell me much more than what I could already feel. That and they clump up pretty bad and it's hard to separate the fluff.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I use cattail. The trick is to fluff it up real good so the fibers are totally random before you store it in whatever vessel you will carry in. You want the useable product to be like cotton ball (wow, light bulb!!!!) or synthetic fiber filling for stuffed animals, pillows, etc. If it drops too fast, cut back to on the size of the wad you drop. It also works well to grap a little bunch, and kinda spread it out for parachute effect. 'Hard for me to put in words but it works fantastic. Personally I find it easier to see and manage to perfection for judging wind than milkweed which I've used for years.

I'm thinking sycamore pod fibers might be just as good, but haven't tried 'em yet. Just moved here (KY) and there are lots of 'em.

Cotton... hmmmm....

Back