• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Milkweed pods...

public_land

To those of you that collect milkweed pods for wind indicators, how do you know when to pick them? I am seeing pods all over the place, some have dried and burst already, others are green and appear to be still developing. What characteristics do you look for to know when to pick them?

Thanks in advance.

I don’t recall exactly, but get them before they burst, cut a slit or two in them and let them dry for a few days. They’re cheap, grab one and open it up. Some people separate the seeds from the white and then put it in a container. I never have, but sounds good.

They start to get soft, and change colors a bit.
Around here, they get a little purple hue to them just before popping open.
In the picture below, there is only one “primo” pod, and one getting close to ready. All the rest are definitely early. But, I wasn’t going to be able to pick for at least a few more weeks. I figured getting less silk out of bunches and bunches of pods was better than HOPING they were still around when I got the chance to harvest them

316482f1bc4aac1c7d6ada1db66c0844.jpg

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

Holy crap, pods are ready to pick already in your neck of the woods?
We are about 2 months away here in SW PA.
Ike, you are right...watch for them to start changing colors. I'm fortunate that I live among the stuff so I can monitor it and pick in a timely manner. I like to watch and wait until I see a pod here and there starting to split. They start to feel slightly dry.
Don't pick too early because the floaters will be smaller and less fluffy.
And the sap in them is super sticky. Be careful not to get it on your hands or clippers.
And the rubber bands are mandatory. Don't use them and you'll find out why. Its a mess.

Last edited:
Awesome! I will keep an eye out for color change. And have rubber bands on hand. Several are already popping and throwing seed. Others are still early. I split a few open and they are far from ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried to find them but have no idea where I need to be looking. Where do you find them in the southern parts of the world? Someone please guide me

I've tried to find them but have no idea where I need to be looking. Where do you find them in the southern parts of the world? Someone please guide me
Here in Arkansas, I get mine from the road side areas. My wife points out spots when they bloom the dark orange flowers and I mark those spots on my phone. I go back late summer and pick the pods. Not a great photo but here are the flowers to look for. Orange is easiest to spot64E36C77-0681-4746-9453-7615018D950F.jpeg

I hear we have milkweed in Mass. I have not found any...really didn't look to hard. I get mine when I go scouting in Ohio. there's plenty there.

I just moved to a new place and the neighbor has them in her landscaping..... SCORE.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That was a heck of a man cave to give up just for better access to milkweed. Talk about dedication. I could have sent you some.:)

I know! I'm gonna miss that. But we needed more space. There's room for me to try and build another cave in the new house but I will have to save up some money.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I found a picked two bags a couple weeks ago, wrapped them in tape, but in a box in the garage and they all blew up. Guess I dried them to fast :)

Could someone post a picture of the whole plant please. Thanks
Its just milkweed. My wife and daughters look for caterpillers on them (some can be tiny) they take the caterpillers home with some milkweed leaves and put them in a mason jar with a foil lid with some slits in them and the caterpiller eats the milkweed leaves until it gets pretty big then crawls up to the foil lid and creates a chrysalis and then hatches into a monarch butterfly. Keep the milkweed leaves fresh. Good way to get your wife and kids into finding milkweed pods for you for hunting!!! Its the only thing monarch caterpillers eat.

They are still too green here to pick in my opinion but if you and your kids go caterpillar hunting you'll know where they are. I believe around late summer and September is the best time, the pods get brown and crack open.

Just checked my field the other day (still way too early for harvest here 43 degrees N latitude )when I head back this week-end I'll photo them.... I have to ask the farmer if I still have permission to remove all of them(he thinks I'm helping him eliminate the #$$% things from his field) shhhh don't tell him I'm spilling seeds on the way back to my truck...LOL and yes sides of the road is where I see many of them growing!

Here in Arkansas, I get mine from the road side areas. My wife points out spots when they bloom the dark orange flowers and I mark those spots on my phone. I go back late summer and pick the pods. Not a great photo but here are the flowers to look for. Orange is easiest to spotView attachment 13205
Thanks man. Also an AR guy so this helps!

I DESPISE milkweed. That crap is nearly impossible to control. A homeowner nearly 1/2 mile away planted some for the butterflies and it has ruined every field including ours.

Back