• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Milkweed pouches

beaston

Decided to make these after tearing the thin mesh out of the one I purchased from THP.
3e0c17655913872a9fd3d7d9823e07f1.jpg
They are made from 500d cordura and heavy mesh with a ykk zipper so should last a lifetime. Wish I had enough milkweed to supply with the pouches. Pic shows front and back of pouch. @Allegheny Tom can help you there he sells pods for a cause.. $20 TYD USPS only.. PayPal or Venmo add 3% G&S.

Bryan.
ff14e480cc0a9418ee08c674b5ec26ae.jpg
cca075621eb867ec9304870cece1b926.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What are the fabric pattern options? I know it doesn’t matter but it’s the cool factor ya know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the fabric pattern options? I know it doesn’t matter but it’s the cool factor ya know.

Sorry just strata as of now

for whatever it's worth, dry cattails work as well as milkweed and are super easy to get this time of year

for whatever it's worth, dry cattails work as well as milkweed and are super easy to get this time of year
That's what I hear. I walked by thousands of milkweed pods just gathered what I needed.

Are the holes in the mesh big enough for the milk weed fibers to be pulled out easily? Could you post pics with it filled with Milkweed floss?

If I order one...I think I would clip the zipper finger/pull tab off and replace it with D Loop rope/material to eliminate some metal.

Last edited:
Are the holes in the mesh big enough for the milk weed fibers to be pulled out easily? Could you post pics with it filled with Milkweed floss?

If I order one...I think I would clip the zipper finger/pull tab off and replace it with D Loop rope/material to eliminate some metal.
Good question I just zip it open a tad and pull weed out the top. I'll do that tonight and post a pic and you definitely could remove zipper pull handle and switch it to a cord.

Good question I just zip it open a tad and pull weed out the top. I'll do that tonight and post a pic and you definitely could remove zipper pull handle and switch it to a cord.

I was thinking the reason for the mesh was so you could pull fibers out thru the mesh holes.... especially if you only wanted a couple small fibers to float.

8E9D6ED5-156C-41C8-A8CE-4782F1EBBF9F.jpeg4CEC8141-7FDD-4D5D-9A94-C8ECA419547B.jpeg
Not to high Jack your thread..... here is a homemade one that I found on You Tube. He just pulls the fibers out thru the mesh. I think it would be great if you could do yours the same way. Maybe your mesh holes will allow that as well.

I was thinking the reason for the mesh was so you could pull fibers out thru the mesh holes.... especially if you only wanted a couple small fibers to float.

I bet if you kind of squeeze the mesh and sort of roll it between your thumb and index finger, you would work some fibers up through the mesh holes. That’s what I did on similar bags I’ve tried before. Works pretty well and makes your milkweed supply last a lot longer. Also with the smaller holes it helps prevent seed and fluff from accumulating in your pack I’ve noticed.

I bet if you kind of squeeze the mesh and sort of roll it between your thumb and index finger, you would work some fibers up through the mesh holes. That’s what I did on similar bags I’ve tried before. Works pretty well and makes your milkweed supply last a lot longer. Also with the smaller holes it helps prevent seed and fluff from accumulating in your pack I’ve noticed.

Makes sense..... the original poster and maker/seller of these pouches said he is going to test out the mesh tonight. Interested in his findings....

I used the THP holder this year and the mesh was too much trouble to fish the milkweed through IMO. I ended up unzipping the top and just pulling it out of the pouch. Maybe if the mesh holes were bigger? Or maybe the mesh idea is better in theory than practice.

I used the THP holder this year and the mesh was too much trouble to fish the milkweed through IMO. I ended up unzipping the top and just pulling it out of the pouch. Maybe if the mesh holes were bigger? Or maybe the mesh idea is better in theory than practice.

I did the same thing myself but I can see how getting smaller pieces out could be desirable but if to small you can't follow visually. I'm sure they'll pull through the mesh. The pouch I have in the picture has fibers sticking through holes just didn't try to extract them. TBD

Makes sense..... the original poster and maker/seller of these pouches said he is going to test out the mesh tonight. Interested in his findings....

Yeah I’m interested in his findings too. I have one on order, hah.

Even if the mesh isn’t perfect for every situation in pulling out some fluff, I kinda feel like it’s a decent idea to have it anyway just in case there’s some moisture in the seeds and fluff, might help prevent mold from forming. I know I don’t remember to empty out any bag of milkweed at the end of the season.

To me the meshes main purpose was to allow the weed to breathe and stay fluffy so I always just unzipped the top a bit and pulled it out but can see where if you wanted to pull through the mesh it being nice too. The mesh I used is mil spec so its dense and durable the same stuff I use on the roll pouches. I tried to work the fluff through the mesh and it can be done but not easy and like some might want so just a heads up for anyone wanting that option.

Another thought was to add a grommet probably 1/4" inside diameter to the center side of the pouches mesh so if one wants to pull from the side they can. I'm not a milkweed expert but a full piece will be easier to see at a farther distance. Tell me what you guys think?

Thanks Bryan

Back