• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mini sticks-who is using them?

That all depends on you. Your height, your level of comfort while climbing, fitness level, experience, etc. Aiders are used to stretch the height so that you can carry less sticks. If your rollin with minis your probably going to want either a moveable aider or 1 aider per stick which could be as simple as a piece of webbing. If you search the threads on here there are endless conversations on climbing stick techniques. Assuming you have the 17" lone wolf minis, with a 24" aider loop and a 24" spacing you could get right around 20 feet with 4. If you got a multi step aider you may be able to stretch it down to 3 sticks.

I'll be using minis. 3 hawk heliums at 24" long. I'm using a moveable aider. I space mine out pretty far. I'm 6'1 and will hang my first stick about head high. I can get 17-18' consistently.

I have a set of DIY minis. Im actually in the process of redoing them. Right now they are 18”. I use a knaider to get higher and ill combine that with a swaider if I need be to get as high as I want. I carry 5 sticks.
18x5=8’ish
Knaider= 20” per step= another 8’
Swaider= same another 8’
Platform= 20”
That puts you around 26’ up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made some mini's and attached a 1" tubular webbing 1 step aider to the bottom. 3 sticks probably get me 15' plus. More than likely won't use them saddle hunting, but they are attached to my windwalker if need them.

I've got 4 LW DIY minis. With my moveable I am able to hit about 20 ft. Although I tend to hunt at lower heights. I like to get just above the lower branches which help conceal me. I guess it all depends on where your hunting.

I will most likely end up doing my DIY sticks at 20". They'll basically be lone wolf minis with .75" tubing. 4" longer I think than regular minis. Right there between most guys cut down sticks and the factory minis.

Like @noxninja says, they'll probably just get used with my windwalker. I think I'm about over looking for a public legal saddle rig. If I can't drill, I'm leaving the kestrel at home and taking 10lbs of hang on and sticks.

I will most likely end up doing my DIY sticks at 20". They'll basically be lone wolf minis with .75" tubing. 4" longer I think than regular minis. Right there between most guys cut down sticks and the factory minis.

Like @noxninja says, they'll probably just get used with my windwalker. I think I'm about over looking for a public legal saddle rig. If I can't drill, I'm leaving the kestrel at home and taking 10lbs of hang on and sticks.
:eek: I thought you said they couldn’t see the holes.

:eek: I thought you said they couldn’t see the holes.
;)

They can't. But if I ever hunt an area where I legitimately expect an issue, at least I have a plan B. One place that comes to mind is St. Vincent's Island out in Florida. One of these days I'm going to get around to doing their sambaar deer hunt. From what I've heard the people that run it don't exactly love hunters. I hear they shut down one hunt because a guy killed a rattlesnake at camp.

Reactions: NDH
I’m waiting on my supply’s to build my stick now. I’m curious, is there a problem switching to 3/4 tubing and DanO’s components?

That’s what I was worried about, it probably doesn’t make a big difference to just stay with the 1”.

Standoffs no. Steps I believe are slotted to fit a 1" tube.
We have done 3/4" versions of DoubleSteps and they are available to back order if you need them. Standoffs are 1" and just give you a "limited slip" on .75" which works fine.

I use 20” sticks.....don’t know if that qualifies as mini. I can get 20’ (platform height) with 3 and a single moveable aider. Made mine out of 1” square 1/16” wall tube. But you guys wanting 3/4” have me thinking? Anyone done 3/4” before. I haven’t spent any money on saddle hunting today......yet.

My sticks are 18'' and with a moveable aider i can get to 20+ with 3. I'll be finished with a set of 16'' sticks tommorow. Im 5'10''. Roughly 7-7.5 foot per stick

Can you use a knaider with Lone Wolf sticks? I know I can use an aider, but I really liked the knaider I used with wild edge steps.

Back