• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mismatched camo?

denots

I was watching a hunting show several years back and the guy on the show was talking about the benefit of hunting in mismatched camo. His reason for doing such was that he said he felt like wearing the same camo pattern still allowed deer to pick his silhouette. I found it intriguing and it also seem to make some sense to me. It seems there are always situations especially after the foliage is gone off the tree will you may not blend in is well or you may create more of a silhouette. This guy seem to think that by wearing mismatched camo patterns it would confuse the deer into not being able to pick your silhouette as well. I have worn mismatched camo mostly because I try to buy most of my hunting clothes on clearance as they are very expensive. And since I seem to wear the most average size clothing I don't usually have the luxury of being able to find clearance items in the exact camo pattern I'm always looking for. Just wondering if any of you guys I've ever heard of this as a tactic or if y'all think there is any validity to it? I do feel that there have been times when I have been picked wearing all the same camo pattern and in very similar situations have not been picked wearing mismatched camo. What are y'alls thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Reactions: PJC
I was watching a hunting show several years back and the guy on the show was talking about the benefit of hunting in mismatched camo. His reason for doing such was that he said he felt like wearing the same camo pattern still allowed deer to pick his silhouette. I found it intriguing and it also seem to make some sense to me. It seems there are always situations especially after the foliage is gone off the tree will you may not blend in is well or you may create more of a silhouette. This guy seem to think that by wearing mismatched camo patterns it would confuse the deer into not being able to pick your silhouette as well. I have worn mismatched camo mostly because I try to buy most of my hunting clothes on clearance as they are very expensive. And since I seem to wear the most average size clothing I don't usually have the luxury of being able to find clearance items in the exact camo pattern I'm always looking for. Just wondering if any of you guys I've ever heard of this as a tactic or if y'all think there is any validity to it? I do feel that there have been times when I have been picked wearing all the same camo pattern and in very similar situations have not been picked wearing mismatched camo. What are y'alls thoughts?

I've always thought the same thing. I wear mismatch camo all the time. Sometimes cold weather pants are too much but I like the cold weather jacket so I'll wear mild weather pants with cold weather too and they don't match. I've always thought the two sleeves should look much different from each other than they do when you have a camo pattern that is consistent throughout an outfit. Same with the pant legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purposely mix my camp patterns. If I am spot/stalking I will go with my beige/brown military pattern pants and my darker camo on top. That way, I match the native grass and leaves color from the waist down.

I think a lot of camo patterns look good to our eyes up close, but still have a silhouette effect at a distance. By mixing them up, you break up the silhouette into two separate pieces, making it harder to see.

With some of the better patterns like Sitka’s Optifade or ASAT, I don’t feel the need as much.

I purposely mix my camp patterns. If I am spot/stalking I will go with my beige/brown military pattern pants and my darker camo on top. That way, I match the native grass and leaves color from the waist down.

I think a lot of camo patterns look good to our eyes up close, but still have a silhouette effect at a distance. By mixing them up, you break up the silhouette into two separate pieces, making it harder to see.

With some of the better patterns like Sitka’s Optifade or ASAT, I don’t feel the need as much.

This guy in particular was doing a spot and stalk hunt and wore snow camo for his pants and the foliage type camo for his torso area. That made absolute sense to me but it also seem to make sense that a deer would be able to silhouette you even in a tree. I had a friend that was giving me some crap one day because my camo didn't match and I explained to him up reason for wearing mismatched camo (besides the obvious one of me always being broke) and I don't think he quite grasp the concept.

As long as you change back to a matching outfit for the picture.....

This reminds me of a story.

Want to know the best way to make sure you have camo in all your wedding pictures? Tell your WV husband his family can't wear camo to the wedding.

I had friend and coworker who was from @flinginairos neck of the woods. His wife told him that she forbid any of his family members to wear camo to the wedding. I didn't make it to the wedding but, he showed me the pictures and I have never seen so many camo neck ties in wedding pictures in my life.

Want to know the best way to make sure you have camo in all your wedding pictures? Tell your WV husband his family can't wear camo to the wedding.

I had friend and coworker who was from @flinginairos neck of the woods. His wife told him that she forbid any of his family members to wear camo to the wedding. I didn't make it to the wedding but, he showed me the pictures and I have never seen so many camo neck ties in wedding pictures in my life.

LOL. camo is proper attire to just about any event in this neck of the woods! Shame on that woman for telling a bunch of hillbillies they can't wear camo!

This guy in particular was doing a spot and stalk hunt and wore snow camo for his pants and the foliage type camo for his torso area. That made absolute sense to me but it also seem to make sense that a deer would be able to silhouette you even in a tree. I had a friend that was giving me some crap one day because my camo didn't match and I explained to him up reason for wearing mismatched camo (besides the obvious one of me always being broke) and I don't think he quite grasp the concept.

The entire purpose of camo is to break up your silhouette. The smaller it can make the perceived object, the harder it is to notice. Camo manufacturers rely almost exclusively on color patterns for this (3D suits excluded), but vision is much more complicated than this. Texture, shadows, countershading, color, and even reflectivity are all perceivable in our surroundings.
Paint a 4X8 piece of plywood with ANY commercial camo pattern and I guarantee you most people would be able to identify it out to 100 yards with no problem.

There is no shadow or countershading in camo patterns, and the fabric is typically homogeneous throughout the entire piece (causing only one texture). That means that these aspects contribute to perceiving a silhouette. Wearing two different pieces changes both the colors/pattern, and the texture/reflectivity. And remember the goal of camo smaller identifiable shapes.... you take a full human figure and break it up into legs and torso, you now have to identify something half the size. And now, they aren’t a shape instinctively known as a predator.

3D suits really trump all this because the varying textures, plus the material casts shadows, which are HIGHLY effective in concealment.

Lol. Not to hijack the thread, and my neck may not be as red as some, but I was able to sneak some hunting details into my wedding.
731f9408f8d947bf3a52ce472f967fa1.jpg
41a0e775595ed60f6ef3dd28d13313bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lol. Not to hijack the thread, and my neck may not be as red as some, but I was able to sneak some hunting details into my wedding.
731f9408f8d947bf3a52ce472f967fa1.jpg
41a0e775595ed60f6ef3dd28d13313bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I got moose cake toppers. We joked about bringing my full bear mount down the aisle to my wife. I was pretty set on going with a camo vest but ended up backing down.

This is a very interesting concept that I have never even thought about. I wonder how effective using a darker camo pattern such as mossy oak or realtree for the pants with an open pattern such as predator camo for the the upper body for hunting with a saddle.

This is a very interesting concept that I have never even thought about. I wonder how effective using a darker camo pattern such as mossy oak or realtree for the pants with an open pattern such as predator camo for the the upper body for hunting with a saddle.
I'm not so much it matters what particular camo patterns you use but I do find mismatched camo patterns seem to help me stay concealed better at least from a deer's perspective. I really just thought it was an interesting concept and was curious how many other guys on the site mismatched their camo intentionally. Like I said earlier I started doing it more out of necessity trying to save money on camo clothing but it seems to work very well

I use what is comfortable and/or feasible. If I am having to go through thickets and briar patches to get to my location then I will have my carhartt pants on. I think staying still playing the wind and knowing when to take the shot are way more important than the pattern of camo I am wearing.

Back